Concentrates Blog

I used a hair straightener and parchment paper to make rosin before I learned how to safely produce bho, It was an incredibly steep and unforgiving learning curve, I had 2 pretty terrifying incidents early on in my experiences, first incident was blatant carelessness and lack of knowledge, I had finished extraction and was waiting for the liquid butane to evaporate and lit cigarette too close, I panicked and grabbed the flaming dish to move it away from the shed and spilled some of it creating a 15 foot high wall of flames that was 5 or more feet long, thankfully no body was injured and no property was damaged, with the exception of my underpants LMAO! The second time I was spraying near an outdoor fridge in open air and the compressor cycled on and it ignited the settling gas, after a big whoosh I just covered the Pyrex catch pan and suffocated the flames quick and calm. Safety can’t be stressed enough, you must take all known variables into account. Be prepared for the worst case scenario, I always have a freshly inspected 5lbs ABC fire extinguisher :fire_extinguisher: within reach any time I’m processing. Hopefully my mistakes will inform others of the dangers and risks of blindly attempting any extraction with extremely flammable gasses and liquids. Thanks for reading!

1 Like

I chose to do my concentrates using the Source Turbo and QWET. Two reasons: much safer and the solvent is organic (ethanol). It will produce either full spectrum oil for edibles or targeted (cold) extractions for Dab oil. The Source allows you to recover most of your solvent for reuse.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing, is your dab oil for smoking/vaping? And how do do that?

2 Likes

I make qwet too. The first wash could be clear enough to dab. 2nd and 3rd washes go to edibles… Mostly I just do edibles so I decarb first but if I want some dab, I run through the Source after a super quick wash and skip the decarb.

4 Likes

My extracts are primarily used for dabbing. I’m working on a vape cart recipe currently.

4 Likes

Yep. This is what stops me. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Tastes good too.

2 Likes

How did or does one dose the THC from the grams of Qwet?
Still learning, I am, thank you. New HLG350R and Light meter on the delivery routes, somewhere.

2 Likes

Yes. By washing in ethanol at different temperatures you can preferentially extract the oils you are after. Running your wash at -40F (dry ice) for 10 minutes will produce a light golden oil that is around 90% THC. Doing a full spectrum extract the wash is done at room temps for 24 hours and will produce an oil that is around 75% THC. Knowing the potency it’s a simple matter to weigh it out against the amount of oil you want to infuse into.

So for example: 16 oz. of coconut oil in a crockpot, I add 5 grams of full spectrum decarb’ed oil. The coconut oil is weighed out into ‘sticks’ for cooking. One ‘stick’ contains roughly 1 gram of THC and mixed into Toll House cookie recipe makes 40 cookies close to 25 mg of THC per. I can further fine tune that by weighing each cookie (we make them fresh each evening).

The other benefit is you don’t have that ‘weedy’ taste from chlorophyll cooked into the oil. The cookies are delicious.

Infused alcohol filtered cold (see the frozen Mason jar)

Filtered wash in the crucible

Set up and running under ice

6 grams of pure goodness

12 Likes

That’s really awesome and beautiful too! I think dry ice is available where I live. Thanks!

3 Likes

How do you expose your ethanol to the dry ice prior to cold wash? Just drop a bottle in a container with the dry ice? I keep my everclear in my freezer at about -3.

1 Like

Solvent and flower in separate Mason Jars packed into a cooler of dry ice (about 10 lbs.) for four hours. Mix flower and solvent together, shake vigorously for 2 minutes then every minute after up to 10 minutes total. Stored in dry ice between shakes. Then plant material and solvent are separated as quickly as possible (I use those sprout lids on the jar) then filter as normal. Resulting oil is 90% THC

That plant material can be washed again for 24 hours at room temp for a second extraction for edibles. This extraction is 75% THC.

If using lower potency plant material (larf and sugar leaves) you will just get a lower yield but identical potency. I usually just do full spectrum washes of leaves and larf and save flower for the gucci stuff.

Just finished four dab runs so should be good for a couple of years lol.

8 Likes

The 90% THC oil youre referring to, thats what’s left after solvent evaporation?

4 Likes

Yes. Running very cold extracts THC preferentially.

5 Likes

If i decarb at 240F for 3 hours to get CBN can i then do qwet and have the oil CBN rich for sleep meds?

4 Likes

Absolutely.

8 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

8 Likes

73!

120&160!

11 Likes

Wow. I’m a lil jelly over here. Well done my friend!

1 Like