Coco growers, what brand?

I currently grow in soil and looking at trying a grow with Coco. Can anyone recommend a product?

Canna coco. Total innert. Takes on what u give it. Super easy to flush. I use it strait no added anything and having great results so far. Canna coco and jacks 321 with additives from AN

3 Likes

Thanks Mark. I use Jack’s now, so that should make it easier

1 Like

Yes. Online canna coco bricks are like 22 bucks. 1 40l brick does 1 7 gal and 1 5gal. It takes me 1 and a quarter bricks to fill a 7 gal fab pot. Thats not mixing no peralite or anything just canna coco

1 Like

I don’t think it really makes a difference what brand of coco. I’d get whatever kinds are sold locally.

Some is buffered, some is not, extra work buffering it. Some have perlite, others need it added. But coco is coco.

1 Like

I have great results with roots organics. Hydrated with my nute mix and away we go. Don’t have to wash first

1 Like

Green RX coco passes heavy metals testing… :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t they all?

1 Like

They might, but I came across some numbers that were elevated for my taste. 3rd party tested the canna.
@Joshmcginnis28 has the link. I’ll go look for the link as it was some time ago.
Yeah it’s tested, but it’s not really labeled on the packaging either. And what is a “safe” level.

1 Like

Idk, you have been growing in soil for years and that’s more likely to fail heavy metals test lol.

1 Like

@dbrn32 @Covertgrower
I didnt even know that was something I should be looking into lol. I guess I would assume that if its sold as a product that grows food it should be safe.

1 Like

That doesn’t sound promising either.

I use the Canna coco bricks.

2 Likes

Oof. Was a long time ago. Might not have link anymore. I’ll do some digging and report back if find it.

2 Likes

I use GrowIt brand coco from Hydroform.
Large bales, bricks, loose, some with chips. Good variety. It does not specify that it has been buffered. No big deal. Soak for a day in CalMag and water.

1 Like

Imo not something you should focus a lot of your time on searching through for substrates. Heavy metals are naturally occurring elements. Some of the highest levels tested come out of certified organic and omri listed products. For most of us they aren’t a problem in natural concentrations and regular usage.

Do you fish? If you do, you may have noticed certain bodies of water recommend people consume no more than 1 meal per week of fish harvested from them. Or that pregnant women not consume fish from them. Heavy metals are likely the reason for advisory like this.

If you’re concerned about heavy metals, would pay closer attention to the nutrients and addives you’re using. There have been cases of fertilizer companies adding them for various reasons. While a small amount of some could be expected, you would want to watch for abnormally high levels.

6 Likes

Yes, that makes sense. I do fish, and often on the st Lawrence river. I believe it’s the mercury that the fish may take in from pollution. If I can only smoke one joint per week because of it, that’s just not going to work :rofl:

2 Likes

I love heavy metal. Was always an iron maiden fan. :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes