?Brand new Philips MasterColor CMH BAD?

This is a brand new Philips MasterColor 315w CMH lamp. Has anyone had a new lamp do this?

1 Like

never seen it or heard of it.

Never a phillips bulb. What happened to last bulb that this was to replace? Asking because I’m wondering if maybe you have a ballast or connection issue?

2 Likes

i knew you would know it lol

1 Like

This is a brand new fixture and brand new bulb. Would this happen if the N and L wires were reversed? This is a 220v fixture.

There is no neutral on typical 220v circuit, should be 2 “hot” wires.

I bought an adapter to go from my NEMA 14-50 outlet to three 220v 6-15 outlets which the light plugs into. So, I guess I have L1 L2 and G and it shouldn’t make any difference if the two former wires are reversed.

I don’t know whether I should try another lamp in the same fixture or swap the fixture too.

2 Likes

If you have multiple i would definitely try the bulb in another lamp. A bad bulb isn’t going to hurt the ballast.

Having 220v system and looking at your bulb makes me lean more towards a loose wire or something. The bulb appears to be partially lit, which means circuit is complete. Maybe just in an under-voltage condition not completely firing bulb?

1 Like

Hmm… the sockets in the adapter do seem a bit loose.

1 Like

I think it’s worth taking a look. Power down of course, and make sure there is significant cooling time prior to firing again. But i would check that bulb is seated all the way, socket terminations are solid, ballast connections, cord, plug, yada yada.

2 Likes

All connections are quite snug except the adapter receptacle. The lamp is well seated. I’ll see what I can do with that adapter.

1 Like

I don’t know how these bulbs are engineered. Should there be an open gap where the red arrow is pointing? There’s a substantial plasma arc there. Adjusting the plug-receptacle union didn’t help.

I’m going to pull the bulb for a closer look. I think there may be a bad internal connection.

1 Like

The bulb is bad. The components are rattling around loose. That sucks because I bought it about five years ago so it’s out of warranty, I’m sure.

Is there anything a ballast could do to damage a bulb like this?

1 Like

I’m not familiar enough with this ballast to say, but i don’t think it’s all that common.

I’ll try another bulb. If it disintegrates also then I’ll keep searching for the problem. Darned expensive, this could get.

1 Like

Ya, kinda feels like a cheap bulb would be nice to have around.

I’ll keep that in mind if I ever replace a really old bulb that’s still working…

She started right up this time and is shining like a brilliant diamond. I wish I could get a replacement for the defective bulb but chances of that are dim.

1 Like

I wonder if Philips would replace it. The defect is probably fairly obvious to those who know how to diagnose such things.

4 Likes

They’re a big company, im not even sure how to go about it. But always worth a shot.

1 Like