Best LED lights 2019

New member here, I need help deciding on the best light to invest in. I’ve been recommended Black Dog’s Phytomax 1000 and have been told it produces GREAT Yields! But is there something that is better than Black Dog? I have a 4x8 grow space.

3 Likes

Go to HLG LED and look at Quantum boards.

@WickedAle can help you figure out what you need. If you are mildly handy, a DIY light using HLG products would be the best.

2 Likes

Welcome to ilgm!!!

1 Like

I would use 4 260hlg’s , or should I say I use 4 hlg 260’s in my 4x8 and supplement the far red spectrum with 2 king led 1200 (they have a bloom cycle that is just far red and white.

3 Likes

What is yield normally with HLG products?

1 Like

Depends on how big of a pot you use.

5 gal I can get a q- hp/ plant

1 Like

Only have 1 completed grow under a qb 288 135w running at 115w and pulled 123grams dry weight. So a little over 1g/watt. This was a 2’x2’ tent.

3 Likes

What’s your budget?

Around 2k budget.

2 Likes

For 2k, you should be able to light it up!!! @dbrn32 can help as well

1 Like

Hope so! I don’t mind spending if it’s worth the investment.

Seems those quantum boards are what’s what. I’m happy with my cmh currently. Maybe one day I’ll get one

1 Like

There’s a lot of really good options within your budget. The umol per dollar on a black dog light isn’t great. In my opinion for $2000 you could do better.

If you’re looking to buy fixtures ready to hang and plug in, I would probably check out two horticulture lighting group hlg-550 r-spec. Here is information on that

Here is info on black dog phytomax 1000

The hlg light has nearly the same light output, draws half as much power, and is half the cost

7 Likes

Really considering buying the HLG 550 v2 R-Spec, I have a few questions: If I run two of them in a 4x8 space do they run hot? Would I need an AC Unit? How high should I keep them off the canopy?
Tight grow room in a basement with limited height.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 I have a hlg 550 v2 in my custom 4x5 and I have two hlg 260’s in my 4x4 and the 260’s blow the doors off the v2.

2 Likes

2 ft off canopy, they run slightly hot at full power and by that I mean it will raise room temp by 10 degrees.

Intake and exhaust are necessary but with good airflow you don’t need ac.

2 Likes

Old adage I’ve always grown by “the bigger the roots, the bigger the fruits”

Everything including lights is important in your grow. Don’t short one to give to another. Big lights, big planters, big space. Add that up and you’ll produce big buds!

2 Likes

It’s essentially the same light, the only real difference between having two 260 kits and an hlg-550 is the board spacing. Having two fixtures help balance canopy intensity some, so not really any surprise there. Since the light output is nearly identical, you would also have lower ppfd average running in 20 square feet vs 16 square feet. So your results kinda make sense right?

2 Likes

Having multiple fixtures like the 260 instead of the 550 gives the ability to raise lower the light depending on stage of growth the plant is at.

If one plant was taller than the rest then you’d be stretching the others to try to play catch up.

It’s personal preference really, also having the 260 gives me the ability to place the plants where I want them not where the light needs them to be. 260xl works great for being able to have two plants one in back one in front then I can put others where they need to be.

The 550 would bunch my plants together and not give me the coverage for the outside perimeter

5 Likes

Not sure if I’m allowed to ask in same thread, I’ll delete if not; What soil / nutrients would you recommend? What size pots? Any other tips for this noob grower? Haha.