Beginning Journey- (3 Northern Lights Autos)

Im curious as to what size pots these seeds are in?

1 Like

3 gallon @Cannabian

Sorry. IN was 6.8 distilled @CalamityJane @blackthumbbetty

1 Like

This was a slurry test on the two pots seeds in btw. @CalamityJane

Got a sprout. Had the seed still attached. Slightly knocked it off with pair of tweezers.

Btw 18/6 light cycle

@CalamityJane @Cannabian @CMichGrower @PharmerBob @blackthumbbetty

1 Like

Wa-haay! And she’s off! :racehorse:

Bit hard to see in that light so natural lighting is always best. Or with flash. :grin:

1 Like

Many new and experienced growers prefer solo cups or 1 liter plastic pots, because its hard to ensure watering is done correctly in larger containers. The tendancy is to overwater, because there is not root there the subsoil can remain wet and become anaerobic, and begin to get foul. You risk damping off and rotting a seedling this way. The other issue is not watering deeply enough! In fear of overwatering its difficult to get the right amount to the root as it grows. For these reasons, its nice to use smaller containers as its easier to regulate the water consumption. Also, you dont need to worry about the soil being too hot for the tender roots.
Here I am using straight promix hp, or high pourosity peat mix with nothing but tap water.

As you can see this little Tashkurghan seedling is doing its thing… the medium was pre moistened to a humid feeling and I simply add a few ml of water each morning. The clear cups are just to prevent evaporation and will be removed once the seed first set of true leaves emerge. No food of any kind will be given until the second set of true leaves begin. Then I will use dilute seaweed extract.

2 Likes

Copy that @CalamityJane

1 Like

I’ve always read to never transplant Autos bc of stress and them no liking a lot of change at once. But you transplant all of your autos? @Cannabian

I am interested in trying some of that Promix hp and seaweed stuff you got too @Cannabian

1 Like

I dont grow autos. And no, thats not really true… who told you that?
I would still grow autos the same way. What might have been meant is, it isnt a great idea to go from say a 3 gallon to a 5 gallon… but seedling to forever home is just fine. The thing with autos is they dont have as long a veg time as one may grow a photo… so you you dont really want to risk stressing them out. Transplanting or ( potting up ) a seedling doesnt count. You are safer doing this than killing a seedling in hot or swampy soil. Plus, typically a plug started plant is generally healthier because they were watered and fed correctly.

For autos, many of us start in different ways.

I start off dropping seeds in r/o water and hydrogen peroxide. After 36 hours, I put the popped seeds into peat based rooting plugs. They stay in rooters for about a week, then the rooters go into cowpots for a week. After that, the cowpots go into their final homes.

Technically, zero transplanting, but basically accomplishing the same thing. :grinning:

1 Like

It’s best not to mess with an auto’s root zone. It can stress the plant and cause it to go into extremely early flower. For those who know autos, we absolutely do not mess with the root zone at a young age, because that can really ruin your grow.

1 Like

BEGINNING OF DAY 3: and I can’t tell if the leaves are curling up or if they’re still trying to unfold

Other seedling has still yet to sprout so I gently shoved aside some of the soil to expose just the seed with roots still completely covered.

@CalamityJane @CMichGrower @blackthumbbetty @MrPeat

They look like they are curling up. Give the plant some time and she will probably correct it. Unless its a user error.

2 Likes

Yeah I dunno if I’m honest, mate. I’d listen to our friend, here… :point_up_2:

1 Like

Yeah it’s looking to just be inexperience for me. After a closer look the leaves appear to just be fine. Seems to be leveling itself out. Cotyledons got a nice color That supposed curl on the left leaf was just more seed tip attached. Picture coming later tonight. @CalamityJane @MrPeat

Terrible camera I know, but the sprouted seedling actually looks good color up close. Thought was curled earlier when I woke up. Stem up close is haze of purple. Leaves looking dark green.

Still watering 100ml distilled 6.8 pH plus a couple sprits once a day.
RH 70-72
75-78F
Light 38”
No pH tests on soil last couple days.
Still waiting on EC/ppm meter.

Still no spout on other plant that made it through germination. Moved aside some soil to expose a little bit of the seed to try and give it lift. Nothing. Is it getting a little late for it to sprout after Day 4 in soil? Or could it take a little more patience?

Hi mate, it’s kinda hard to see the detail in those pics but it’s only been a day so maybe just leave a few more days to see what she does.
Personally speaking, I put my seed straight into soil in the final pot, tiny bit of water and then don’t look at it again for good few days to a week, so as to not stress myself out too much.

For the one that hasn’t sprouted, maybe leave a tad longer. Have you watered it a little?

(bear in mind I am still novice at this growing business so just go with your gut) :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I know it the picture is trash. Once the plants get bigger I imagine it being a little easier to diagnose things. @CalamityJane

I have watered 100ml about every 24-27 hours. When I feel the soil is dry about an inch down, I’ll water with 6.8 distilled.

1 Like