Autopot guide indoor & outdoor

This is what I came home to, started to panic and then I found the break. So sad

2 Likes

The other plants are looking good though!

2 Likes

Looks like you might have went a little severe on the bending but that’s all part of learning… you can check the ph in your rez and check it right in the tray and see how they compare

2 Likes

Yep, the clips went on very easy and everything was going good for 5 days. Lesson learned, I am going to stick to old school LST and pin them down with a stake.

2 Likes

Be very careful with silica, what order it’s mixed in, the PH of the solution before/after mixing it in etc.
The PH when risen to high will cause nutrient drop out, often you won’t even see it sometimes white bubbles will be noticeable on the top. What happens is the silica raises in PH and binds with nutrients so they are to large of molecules and the plant can no longer absorb them.

Silica will dramatically raise the PH and should be added to a bucket, mixed and then Ph’d appropriate before adding to the main reservoir.

I mix my autopots like so:

5 gallon bucket gets filled with tap water that has been ran through a carbon filter to remove all chlorine, it sits for 24hr so its room temp (since my filter is attached to the cold side for drinking & pet water also)
Silica is mixed in well, I walk away for 5min come back and mix it again. Then I ph it to 7ph or below (any higher we risk drop out)
Mix nutrients in, for me it’s Jack’s part A, magnesium sulfate, calcium nitrate, maybe mpk if I’m in first 2 or 3 weeks of flower, PH to 5.8 for coco and beneficiary bacteria is added (fish head farms fish shit for me but some use tribus both are great fishshit does a slightly better job but is slightly more expensive).
I’ll mix a 5 gallon bucket concentrate for my 30 gallon reservoir, first goes in water that has ran through a carbon filter (or you can leave it sit and off gas for 24hr) until my reservoir is at about 25 gallons then I PH it roughly, add my concentrate and mix /turn my pump on and do a PH to 5.8

Ill come back later that day/night and check it or the next Morning to be sure.

9 Likes

So your ph’ing after the silica and then agin after the rest… interesting… I’ve just been adjusting the ph after silica and jacks. Then adding tribus last

1 Like

Correct.

I could go into more detail if needed…
Let me know, I’ve typed it out a couple times it’s around or if you really want to know I can get more technical

2 Likes

No further explanation necessary. Im chopping my current grow later today and have a new batch almost ready for the autopots. Im going to follow your advice and start the double ph gig. I absolutely appreciate your knowledge and advice. It’s because of you that I chose the autopots to begin with and I’m glad that I did!

4 Likes

What is your target EC for middle of veg when in the autopot? Do you go lighter than normal?

1 Like

Follow your feed guide for your nutrients line. Don’t go lighter than recommended.

@Pinboy thanks friend :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

I have algae starting to grow on the outside of my fabric pots.

1 Like

I just mixed up a bucket of full strength nutrients and it came out at a EC 1561. That seems high to me. Do you think I should run with it or dilute it with cal mag water?

Hmmm algae? Can you share a picture of that?

Hmm you mixed Jack’s and it came out at 1561? That’s pretty strong… What’s the tds of your tap water before you start mixing?
I would dilute that to 1350 with just water don’t add any nutrients

I am not using Jack’s. I have AN pH perfect Sensi coco A &B.
My water has an EC of 140.
My thought was to dilute the solution with calmag water so they would get the full dose of calmag

1 Like

Stick to the ratios AN recomonds, if it’s to strong ec wise for what they recommend (follow their recommendations not mine because nutrients are different for different companies) then water it down no extra cal mag.

Don’t mind the moss, nothing to worry about just shows your keeping a good environment for things to grow

1 Like

It is better to use a pump or a wavemaker? I used a wavemaker last time and it was fine. I was hoping the pump would also provide a bit more oxygen to the roots?

1 Like

Everything I’ve read says stay away from any pump that puts air in the rez, the air can mess with your ph

2 Likes

I use pumps, water pumps not air pumps.

Air is to be avoided in the reservoir because it feeds bacteria leading to algae growth

3 Likes

False alarm! The pump I have is actually a water pump so I’m good!

3 Likes

This is such an informative thread! I actually just bought the Auto pot 4 with fabric pots from my favorite online store. Cant wait for the smiley truck to arrive!

Question for those using Jacks 123 nutes…how do you measure the weight in grams? I am used to liguid nutes and use teaspoons and tablespoons as my simple measure devices.

Do you actually have to get a scale and weigh it out? If so, is there a simpler/easier way to to do it?

Thanks ILGM for the awesome info!!

3 Likes