Are they a fool proof way to germinate seeds?

I don’t use much not sure about how much is right but one site a read once said for 3% mix 2 tsp or 28ml per liter but I only use one cap or 6 or so ml full per liter for seeds ,watering/misting or flushing plants in hydro. I started to add a cap full per 5L a few years ago when watering my veggies or adding seaweed to soil or garden beds and that makes a huge difference

1 Like

You can drown a seed. It can actually soak for so long that it cracks and will put a root out, and if not taken out from the water it will drown. But this isn’t what happened.
I’m not sure why you’re having such a hard time, it works so easily for me. And you guys are over thinking it, the peroxide isn’t necessary, just tap water will do. Wet a paper towel, completely. Fold the paper towel, so it’s thicker. Place the seed in the middle. Slide the paper towel inside a ziplock bag, put it on top of your refrigerator. 2 days you should have a germinated seed.

2 Likes

I ordered 5+5 free ww fem seeds, never bought any or tried this in any way shape or form befor.
Im a long time farming background fruit n veg. All i did was got some peat pellets soaked them in luke warm tap water until they swelled up, (ph of tap water was 7.6 as i found out later lol) placed the seed in the middle of each pellet scraped the edges in with a toothpick placed them under a cheap little flouro bout 30 watts which kept the temps up.
had most germinate and shoot in 3 days a couple took 5 days, all n all 10/10 germinated.
I agree with ktreez420 guys are greatly overthinking it…
gl

4 Likes

I have no clue to what’s going on. Their in paper towels in a zip lock bag right now, so I will have to wait and see. Thanks for all the input.

@OK234 knows what’s up. I have a method that works 100% of the time unless a seeds a dud. It works for cloning as well. I just drop a seed/clone in a jiffy (most of the time I immediately put jiffy in solo filled with dirt, if u use soil tht is), this method works extremely well. If doing this outdoors, I would advise against using a humidity dome, burnt a couple seedlings this way.
If u don’t know what a jiffy is, it’s a peat pellet

4 Likes

heres what i do and have done with very high success . put paper towels 2-3 on a plate. trim off edges …place 1 more on top . leave one corner long . "… SO YOU CAN PEEK EASYER " use ro or distilled water,no minerals added … soak the towels for a few min’s … drain the plate at a 45-60 degree angle , till NO More RUN off . …soak seeds for 2-3 hrs only …longer and my survival rate goes down … place under the top one only, paper towel …lay towel down . don’t pack the towel down . COVER with saran wrap …find a warm and dark place 78-80 degrees up to 85 but no more or less…check in 2-3 days ,and every day their after . if you keep covered… Towels will stay at proper dampness … the only ones ive lost doing this is… If i don’t drain them well … stops dripping in 5 mins .but keep the towels angled for 5 mins to drain excess. VERY Important … Some one who cares .Hammer

3 Likes

I learned that a little Kelp can help stimulate a seed to sprout, so I like to soak mine in a little water with a little bit of Kelp in the water, soak for 24-hours in a warm room sitting in a shot glass full of tap water, by the end of which they sprout a tail. Then they go straight into Rapid Rooter plugs, Peat Pots, whatever I have type of thing setup and ready for the sprouts, move them under a “Cool” fluorescent and start giving them a chance to take off. Even if a seed doesn’t sprout in the 24-hours I still put it into the Rapid Rooter, etc… and keeping the humidity up for the sprouts, I typically have a high success rate for germination and strong plants.

When I deal with seeds I know have a thick shell or may need some help weaking the shell, I will add a 1/2 cap full of hydrogen peroxide 3% (drug store over the counter strength) to the shot glass 3/4 full of room temp tap water & kelp.

1 Like

This is the method I use. No method is 100%, but the results of an 18-24 hour emersion followed by being in a damp paper towel inside an open ziplock, then placed in a warm dark environment usually gets almost all of my seeds to germinate within 48-72 hours.

2 Likes

Last time I had no paper towels(usually don’t have) no bags (!!) but I had toilet paper and an old, unused diaper. It worked but wouldn’t recommend it as an option.

4 Likes

Here’s the one I put in a peat pellet and placed in the pot on Tuesday evening, poking her head out to say, “High!” :wink:

1 Like

Mine just popped too, i just put the seed directly into soil it worked! XD

2 Likes

I didn’t want to transplant my auto to avoid any stress/stunting so I put seed starter in a hole in my final soil so I wouldn’t fry seedling. Thinking it’ll grow through the starter

Oddly, I followed the directions. I soaked a seed in 1/2 inch of water for a day, then put it in the soil about a half inch down and covered it up. I’m spraying the soil twice a day and have it under florescent lighting. I’m on day three and so far nothing, but I don’t expect to see anything until at least day 6 or 7.

We’ll see if the directions work or not in the next few days.

1 Like

I founding tissue culture works great for at risk seeds and for all seeds seeking disease and fungus free germination as its all done in sterile medium under fluorescent lights. 1/20th of the space, 1/20th the wattage and no pests…check out this guy Bill Graham at PlantTC dot com in California. I bought a kit and its great science for serious growers.

1 Like

Let us know what happens.

I thank you all for the input. It’s either me or the seeds which is the only 2 things that it could be. I checked this morning on the ILGM seeds I dug up and my homegrown seeds and nothing has happened, it’s only been 2 days though total for my homegrown seeds and 12 days on my ILGM seeds.

I’ve seen bag seed take 2 weeks to pop.

1 Like

So far, nothing. We may have been in on a bad batch or something.

1 Like

Well, I’ve given up on the 4 seeds I’ve had going for a week. Pulled them out of the soil and they look exactly the same as when I put them in there a week ago.

I’ve tossed those 4 and will try 3 in a paper towel in plastic bag now to see what happens. It’s kind of depressing knowing that I already have at the very least a 40% failure rate on these seeds.

You could have tried those 4 soil seeds into the paper towel method as well, just to see if maybe they’d sprout. @tacomac But either way, don’t stop trying, you’ll get it!