Another first grow

Hahahahaha :joy::rofl::joy: wife said to make sure everybody knows she had to go buy x large pantyhose… Shezzz! See how easy it is for a hubby to get in trouble…lol :sunglasses:

3 Likes

LOL! I just told mine I need to get some extra large panty hose when I go to the store. She got stone faced trying to figure out why i needed panty hose, heheh fun times.

3 Likes

Ok, I had to rearrange my plants in the flower tent. I needed to raise one light and lower another. The plants are all supposedly the same strain, Black Sugar, but one plant has more of a drive to reach the lights than the others. I have bent over the tallest colas to try and get the canopy somewhat level, but she is going crazy. I have clones of her in another tent. Now I have the short ones in the front and the tall in the back.

Some close ups:

I feel like I should remove some fan leaves. What do you all think? @Not2SureYet @Nicky @HappyHydroGrower @kellydans @Jackie_Daytona @repins12

Thanks for looking!

7 Likes

I would remove anything blocking light. Just my humble opinion. I spend a lot of time on my back looking up :v:t2:

6 Likes

Isn’t it common practice to defoliate in flower at certain times or do you all just pick off those big fan leaves as they start blocking buds?

2 Likes

I love the look. And I agree with @repins12. You are far enough along to take a few leaves. I wait to make sure the stretch is done. But that is because I am in a scrog. Once the stretch is done. You can deside what you want to remove from the lowers too. Sweet garden you have there. :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks guys! This has definitely been an exciting experience. I appreciate you all taking the time to give advice. It means alot.

Now that I have opened up the house HVAC to this room, my RH in my tent has been mid 50s. This makes me feel alot better about not ruining my whole harvest with bud rot. I still might get a dehumidifier depending on whether these plants get the real thick colas or not.

5 Likes

Plants looking great ! I tuck a few and take a few for better light penetration. I also clean up around the bottom to make it easier to water an feed.

5 Likes

All great advice here, I would stress what @Not2SureYet said about making sure stretch is over.
Then either do it the @repins12 way or the way I do it, I look down because I’m 6’6.

Also any branch that doesn’t go 50% up the plant if it’s below that then consider trimming it
Watch Kyle kush man’s Chiropractic YouTube

5 Likes

How long does the stretch usually last after flipping from 12/12? @Not2SureYet @repins12 @HappyHydroGrower @Nicky

3 Likes

A couple of weeks usually

5 Likes

Ok thanks @Chasworks. I am 14 days after the 12/12 flip. I will start clearing some fan leaves this evening.

2 Likes

Usually 2-3 weeks. My PH lasted about 2 weeks but my PK lasted maybe 3 1/2 weeks.

2 Likes

Ugh! Im more afraid now to defoliate than I was the previous times when they were in veg. I really stripped them down in veg and don’t want to screw this up. Let me watch the Kushman video again and search around for more before and after pictures so I can get this right.

3 Likes

I’m not telling you this is the way, but, I have heard it said that some folks trim 21 days and then again at 42 days Into 12/12 which is what I did with no ill side affects best I could tell.
:+1:t2::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Thank you @HappyHydroGrower. I have seen grows were some people really strip the plants down to just the leaves on the bud sites. Others only take fan leaves from stem locations and leave anything around the buds alone.

I’m trying to figure out how i want to tackle my jungle, heheh.

3 Likes

If you want solid info from some one I learned from @MattyBear can steer you straight. I start mine when I am sure the stretch is over. I then take what ever I don’t think will get good lighting from that point. And let the top buds use the extra energy.

I just did these as an example . I took a lot of branches with bud sites. They would have just been little pop corn buds

6 Likes

Appreciate it @Not2SureYet. I have been searching your alls grows and defoliation pictures throughout ILGM. I decided to take off some of the larger fans leaves of my crazy big plant and leave the other plants alone for now. I can tell the others are still stretching and I can still see the coco coir looking straight down thru them.

Looks like @MattyBear really strips them down as well. Ok, i feel better about this going forward. I will get them finished this week. Exciting!

Here is one of the fan leaves from my crazy big girl:

5 Likes

Yeah photos are good to strip, I still wonder about how much you should defoilate autos but more so autos in soil… I feel confident with a heavy defoilation twice through a grow in my coco autopots but that’s when a plants growing vigorously.
If it was a smaller auto plant in coco or soil with no autopot I would wonder and be careful until I had more successful experience from testing it on a plant or two

3 Likes

@Nicky, I treat autos the same as a photo. The only real difference in the 2 is an auto changes by it self. They still have the same flower times. :grin: I have pictures of naked autos too lol

3 Likes