Advice? What do you do?

so heres the questions , what do u do when you get asked a question and you respond and get a reply from someone else contradicting your advice? I know this happens alot because everyone has there own style and methods. What do you do if you feel that advice is incorrect? Or blatently incorrect? Like yes buy a blurple it awesome? How do you deal with it and what if the other person is more persuasive? You all want the best for every grower I found this out while I have been on the forum. @zee @Hellraiser @repins12 @beardless @Enlightened420 ( donā€™t gif me) @Bulldognuts @PurpNGold74 @Drinkslinger @dbrn32 @blackthumbbetty

14 Likes

@Myfriendis410 @peachfuzz @Oldguy @Dennis62 @Nicky

3 Likes

I follow you, on this amazing forum, I donā€™t do much. The person is not wanting to understand your perception, thatā€™s not on me. When people say ā€œMistakes happenā€ yes, they do, but theyā€™re also caused by action. I gave my opinion, you donā€™t want to hear it, itā€™s nothing personal to me.

I got a job that I have to put out fires all day, and most of the time it presenting facts to them, that gets my point across.

9 Likes

I know I have seen people get like really upset when you were just trying to help @Zee I know we had that new Yorker that would not listen and ran his mouth and @dbrn32 I see you responding I know as the lights guru I probably have done it to u and you get it alot.

10 Likes

I do my best, I give my advice, if someone doesnā€™t take it Iā€™m fine with it.

I also realize I donā€™t know everything and thereā€™s always room for another answer.

9 Likes

This probably a little different from my perspective than most. I have at least a little bit of control as to what is and isnā€™t going to stay on the forum. But I also have to treat everything I post as it will be scrutinized, or at the very least I could be asked to explain/support in further detail.

So, I categorize my responses two ways. The first, that I can provide third party data/study/examples to support, and I donā€™t have any knowledge or experience with contradictory viable information against. An example of this would be a third party integrated sphere report on light.

The other I will share as my opinion, based on my experiences as a consumer or a grower. Should be taken just for that, nothing more or less.

18 Likes

Iā€™m just saying I hear alot that people have a better attitude towards beginners than alot of other forums. I made my first seed purchase from ilgm so I never went any where else, but then again I think itā€™s an older demographic I can tell by the hands in the photo.

10 Likes

Iā€™m kinda with @dbrn32 but the added dynamic of being ā€˜officialā€™ lends more weight to whatever I post.

We all make mistakes and Iā€™ve been corrected here many times. After all, we all came here for similar reasons.

Lots of younger folks on here too.

11 Likes

Thanks @Myfriendis410 for your perspective. Iā€™m not saying there arenā€™t some younger folk (no judgement on the younger folks terminology ) just that when I ask advice from the pics from age comes experience and wisdom. :thinking:

4 Likes

FYI both @dbrn32 and @MattyBear are both youngsters lol.

7 Likes

Dbrn is a surprise donā€™t know matty but then wha do you consider young I turn 40 soon. Iā€™m middle age I say.

1 Like

I wish I was 40 again

4 Likes

Perspective haha. @dbrn32 is always picking on me cause Iā€™m old :grin:

5 Likes

Wish I had a weekend in the past. What have got @Hellraiser

2 Likes

Ya, thereā€™s diamonds that would call you grandpa lol.

7 Likes

Stop my grand child hasnā€™t said it yetā€¦

3 Likes

I just move on if itā€™s one of those many ways to do things type subjects, the asker of the question can decide what/who to go with. Now if someone says something just plain wrong and harmful to someoneā€™s grow, I tell them they are wrong and quote facts. links, youtube videos that back up my position.

13 Likes

Thanks @Hellraiser

1 Like

If you have confidence in what you are telling someone, based on your personal experience or obtained from a reliable source, and you offer the information believing it to be accurate, you have done your part. It is up the recipient to accept it or not. If you can offer a reference or technical data which supports your position, certainly offer that additional information. No need to confront or directly correct the other responder. The mentors that have responded to this thread are masterful in providing information and experience based knowledge, that frequently corrects replies. I try not to be on the wrong side of that one.

4 Likes

Iā€™m 32 so Iā€™m no where near as old or as experienced as some growers but I try my best to stick with facts and studyā€™s although with cannabis it can be hard at times due to the lack of data on cannabis specifically.

I generally provide what I know and I explain why I know it to be so be it that I can show proof as in an expert in the field such as utah states information or if I can point to some sort of backed up information even if itā€™s not perfect such as when @Not2SureYet and myself have talked about FIMā€™ing autos as to when to fim them. Currently itā€™s not a perfect piece of information as I havenā€™t Fimā€™d pre stretch as he does but my results are good by my view and his so we have both agreed to try each others methods side by side in the future and report back but for now all the reading I have done lead me to fim at 4th node and its worked out wonderfully for me and others in this forum.
Alot of the time just explaining yourself helps back your knowledge up, at the same time it helps others question it to make sure itā€™s solid information.
I poke at other peopleā€™s opinions at times for the same reason, I want to know why and how before I just take it as fact.

Burple light is best so said new poster
I ask why is it best?
He states because itā€™s the newest
I ask what technical data proves that it is the best?
They state its 5000w
I ask for a link or a brand name and research it to find its 180w true so I aka if they realized this.
They state no
I then explain how amazon advertises lights and we roll into the whole efficientcy of cips, Wattage, par, PPFD, recomonded Wattage per sq ft etc etc
And then I suggest a non burple light.

5 Likes