28 hour photoperiod

Theyre grape ape! I know it isnt looking like it. I been waiting for purple, after 8 weeks got one purple leaf and some purple buried in the buds. Stinks like grape gum

1 Like

not as wide as yours, and I think it’s done swelling. In 7 gal soil, 3 months and a week old, kukkupo blurple light.

I have 2 grape apes, and they couldnt look more different from each other. There must be a lot of variation in the strain.

This is a couple of weeks ago, and the color isnt evident, but they are super dark freakishly green. Im hoping that its a mix of green and purple making it look really green. So my thought was that once the lack of nitrogen will get rid of the green and leave purple.

1 Like

Mine are so dark green… But doin ok so i let her be. Maybe could be better then

Super strong grapey terpenes. Touch it and my fingers smell like grape for hours. Even if i wash my hands.

1 Like

It would be really cool to see this experiment ran side by side with clones.

Really cool

1 Like

Yes it’s strange something other than grapes has that much grape smell. The first one I cut smelled like fuel or solvent two days after chop. Too early, it taste good though. I just cut one that smelled like grapes and then pine appeared a week ago. The one still in the tent smells like grape, lemon, and thc a real hashy smell.

1 Like

There is not too much to report this week though. They seem to be swelling up more. Still a lot of white hairs. The bay 11’s are getting more red hairs, but the grape apes still have a lot of white hairs. Impatience is really kicking in. Plenty of amber trichs on sugar leaves, but only an odd few on the buds. The hazes are getting dense, and i mean dense! But those have nothing but white hairs. We are on autopilot. I still am trying to post everyday.

It would be cool and much more scientific to do with clones. I think i proved it can work, and probably proved that it extends the flower stage, unfortunately. The biggest thing i would really really like to prove is that it can increase yield. If i got 3 pounds out of this, there could be no doubt that it does. I am not skilled enough of a grower to be getting 2 grams per watt, and i am certainly not lucky enough either. So someone with true skill, and living soil or possibly hydroponics, might defy limits. Who knows?

2 Likes

You know i always thought people were just bullshitting when they said weed smells like grape or pineapple or whatever else, but it really does smell like grapes and pineapple. I would love a strain that smells like root beer. If anyone has a heads up on that, please let me know.

3 Likes

Hey is that nylon netting you are using as your trellis for sog. I just got one from tractor supply yesterday.
Ya my gg#4 had a over powering sour berry smell. It actually over powered 2 bb#3 couldn’t smell those over it. When harvested and curing gg#4 has lost almost all smell that’s after it turned super diesel smelling at harvest. My bb#3 had strong lemon pine scent now curing is a heavy citrus smell. Crazy right

2 Likes

Well it funny you should ask that about the trellis. There is almost no way that nylon would hold up to a SoG or ScroG. Its way too stretchy to weave plants through. I had these things vegging for so long, i didnt know what i was going to do. I thought i was going to have to just throw a few plants away. Then i just decided to do what i call the “lawnmower approach”. I picked an imaginary line, and just cut everything above it. I mean it was almost like taking a hedge trimmer right across the whole thing. Oddly enough, it didnt work out too bad as far as keeping the canopy even. I am in NO way endorsing this approach, but desperate problems require desperate measures.

As far as all of these smells, im wondering why on earth did these plants decide to create these terpenes that can be so different? And why would it be a defense mechanism to make it smell so yummy? Unless the plant is actually trying to get eaten, so an animal can carry the seeds far away and give them some natural fertilizer to boot. Whatever it is, it just makes it such an amazing plant. Wish i could actually smoke the damn things.

1 Like

I forgot my main point. That trellis is just to let all of the plants help to hold each other up, but for that reason, it probably could work for a SoG, but not a ScroG.

I just looked at like 20 buds. I cannot, for the life of me, find one amber trichome. But i also cant really find any clear ones. This is weird!

2 Likes

So here is the math. I have about 40 tops that will be at least 10 grams apiece on average. That is 400 grams. That leaves 150 other tops. If they average just over 3.5 grams apiece, that will be 2 pounds. I believe i will have about a pound of second tier buds, and there will also be some larf in there. If these predictions are true, that will be close to 2 grams per watt. For HPS that is really good for a novice, especially. Obviously, we will have to wait for the final weigh in. If this same yield, with an LED would be accomplished, it would be closer to 3 grams per watt. Ive laid out the blueprint and proved it can work. Now im hoping that one of the pros on here will attempt it. I will post some pictures, and some thoughts and theories over the next several weeks for final numbers. Thanks to anyone that stayed with me.

4 Likes

Almost 11 weeks since the flip, and she is almost there.

6 Likes

Correction: This is almost 12 weeks.

Sticky looking buds :clap:

Thanks. I finally timed it where i could take a picture with the lights off.

1 Like

New thoughts and theories. Trichomes have to take their cues from the flowers. When the flowers are full and ripe, the trichomes will start to turn amber. Most of the trichomes that exist have been there since the fourth week of flower. If the flowers take a long time to ripen, what do the trichomes do when they never get the signal that they are ready? Do they just sit there and produce a certain amount of THC and just stop? Or do they continue to produce THC until they are finally given the sign that time is up? I showed the chart from a study that showed extending the flowering stage increases THC to a great degree, but the study had to stop at 9 weeks because the flowers were ready. I have extended the flowering time several weeks beyond the normal flowering time. And i can say with some certainty that they have very similar degrees if “milky-ness”. Did i accidentally create a uniformity in the trichomes? I have hard time believing that the cells within the trichomes just stop doing their job. In other words, could i have slowed the mature trichomes to allow the less mature ones to catch up?

3 Likes