28 hour photoperiod

Not all of the plants are doing it. The hazes are definitely not doing it. The hazes feel like they are standing still. I know they are not, but the colas are so long the buds would have to get the size of baseballs before they looked fat. Those buds sure are pretty when they are dry though. So light lime green they almost look blue. Anyway, i digress.

Hey thanks for the info, with just a few grows under my belt, it helps to get talked off the ledge. Especially when you already have pretty severe anxiety. And this deadline doesnt help at all. Im trying to do the math in my head. I did a pretty slow dry last time, and it took 21 days. Im going to have to get them finished, dried, manicured, and jarred in 40 days. I think i have to start the flush now. If i get all of the chlorophyll out, then i can dry them quicker i hope. But these buds are way more dense. I had kind of hoped that this would extend the growing period, which it did, but i didnt think about this timing when i started this IN JULY! Thought i had plenty of time.

Yeah i think i just talked myself into it. Im going to start flushing, and put the lights at 14/14. I would like to be able to get it weighed before i leave, so i can have some results to put forth. Quite frankly because the person im putting in charge of burping these while im gone will probably take a hefty chunk of it WHILE im gone. I feel like it was a success. I wish i could know exactly how much of one.

1 Like

This is one of my haze plants. Lots of white hairs still. She kind of looks like she needs a haircut.

3 Likes

She looks good with her hair like that. Nice buds !!

1 Like

Maybe she just needs a new part then. She keeps telling me she wants an “i wanna see your manager” haircut, but im more into the big Texas hair.

:laughing: never heard that one before

Even though i feel icky talking about my baby girl like that.

They are having their second 14 hour night. For the people that thought this 28 hour day thing would be hard because of trying to feed and water, it is not difficult under 16/12, because there are so many more hours of daylight. Now, however is different. There is one day, that i will have only 30 min with the girls, and wont be able to see them again until 24 hours after that. On the bright side, im only watering, so i dont need much time.

Two 14 hour nights, and this is where they stand. Just wanted to provide a little update. If these things fill out some more, this is going to be crazy!

3 Likes

Now i dont get to see them until tomorrow morning. Its going to drive me crazy!

I been doing the longer nights now too. Because I always think they look better in the morning so… they like sleep? As long as they got sufficient light energy in the day? They say growth happens during light but after sleep they seem more covered in sugar. You notice anything about lights-coming-on time or anything like this?

I think its just so nice to see them when the light comes on, that they always look nicer than i remembered. Its hard for a non-grower to get how much we love these things isnt it? Again, i dont even smoke. Its just so fun to grow! Pics?

Yay! They’re not dead! After not seeing them for so long, you start to worry.

I took off a ton of fan leaves to expose hundreds more bud sites.

2 Likes

These things are supposed to max out at 17%. I dont see how that is possible as frosty as these things get.

4 Likes

Ok. Back to the experiment. I have some interesting observations. Since i just started the new 14/14 cycle, i had to just post bullshit until something different happened. This may be a long post.

Im noticing some stark differences between the different breeds, and im trying to form some hypotheses, from them. To start, let me explain the phenos. Grape ape is almost a pure indica. Bay 11 is supposed to be 60% sativa. And pineapple haze is mostly sativa.

With the 16/12 light schedule, i noticed larger buds, and extended flowering period with the indica, which is a 7-8 week flowering time. With the Bay 11, i noticed slightly larger buds, but more of them. It is considered a 8-9 week flowering time, but that seems to be extended as well. The pineapple haze, being a almost pure sativa has a different bud structure than i have seen from most sativas. They usually have thick buds at the end of the branch (at least from all of the pictures ive seen on the internet). These are not as top heavy on the bud structure. They are more evenly spread throughout the branch, almost like an indica. And we all know that sativas have 12-14 week flowering times.

Since the 14/14 switch, the bay 11 and the pineapple haze have started swelling. They are starting to catch up to the grape ape in terms of the top cola. There has been little observable change with the grape ape. To be fair, the grape ape may just be ripening now.

This leads me to my hypothesis. Sativas usually need 12 hours of darkness to get to flowering, but indicas can do so with as little as 8 hours of darkness. And i think it is well established that when you increase the hours of darkness on MJ, it speeds up the flowering process. What if that is why there is such a discrepency in flowering time? Indicas get way more darkness than they need, and sativas get just enough. Therefore it speeds up the indica, and hinders the sativa when they are at 12/12.

I really believe that the extended hours of light limited the stretch of both, which could explain the more bushy buds on the sativa. And the hybrid seems to be splitting the difference.

What would happen, if you started all the plants with 16/12, and kept indicas on 16/12, and switched the sativas to a 12/16? Would they finish at the same time? Would it increase overall yield? Because it might be that indicas are dictated by “days” of flower, where indicas are dictated by hours of daylight.

Like i said, this whole thing is an experiment. I am trying to observe the differences that a 28 hour light cycle causes to the plants. If there are advantages to it, could someone (who what is no way lazy) run 2 tents with the same light (lots of work)? But if there is a linear increase in yield, would they save a thousand dollars on lights, and get 3 or more times the yield? I only say this because im basing this on the difference in my last grow from this one. I am only guessing, but i think i will have 3 times as much as i did on my last grow. I feel pretty confident that i will get 2 pounds at least on this grow. That would represent 1.3 grams per watt with HPS. Imagine if its with LED? That would be 2 grams per watt. But if i get 3 pounds? That would be 2 grams per watt with HPS! If that is possible, what could someone that knows what they are doing accomplish? This very well might be pie in the sky, but i can tell you with absolute certainty, that this is a HUGE improvement. If im wrong, oh well, everyone can just do what they have been doing. But if im right? Imagine the possibilities?

I am basing a lot of this on the fact that nowhere on the internet can i find grape ape buds as big as these. If anyone has evidence to the contrary? Please send pics. Thanks to anyone that suffered through all of that.

2 Likes

17% thc alone i think eh, can give a moderate or a strong buzz. With the right cannabanoids’ ratios and terps, if its heavily coated and sticky like it looks… There’s awesome smokes in the high teens.

2 Likes

8 weeks and few days budding. Not getting any bigger but ripening and getting color.

5 Likes

Nice! What strain?

The close up one looks like a haze or some sort of sativa. They seem to grow those cylindrical clusters of flowers like that. Some have said it was foxtailing, but i think they are wrong. Half the time, i think its jealousy. But it looks sweet! You are probably right about the terpenes, because if i do touch those plants, i have to smell my fingers. It smells just like pineapple. Its my favorite smelling strain i have.

1 Like

OOOOH! Just noticed you have some purple in there too. I have no purple yet. Fingers crossed.

I mean come on! This thing is 5 inches wide and still swelling up! There is no way that the extra light didnt play a role in this. This thing is going to be 7 inches wide by the time its done.

2 Likes