The Traveling Grower - The Struggle From the Road

Damn, bonus weed!

Based on the way this is shaping up, what are chances of you not needing heater through flowering stage of the next grow? You figure there’s still a little time left here, and then the turnaround time, plus you were like 60 days to rill net. Does that put you flowering through the summer months? Could be non issue at all on the next one.

Next grow I am going to do one photo (blackberry kush) and two autos. The autos will be on the heater side and the BBK will be where the GL is now. (I have some thoughts about light configuration to run past you when the time comes… I’m thinking I will set up the COB rails as independent rails that I can move and adjust as needed, and I will run them perpendicular to the front of the tent (opposite of how they are now)).

I can tell you that I had to put a heater in my tent on my first grow last year, which started in May or June.

On the next grow I am going to run the lights at night instead of during the daytime. I think this will help my average temps throughout the whole 24 hour period. In any case with the autos on that side (which won’t be under a SCROG) I should have more leeway to move stuff around and keep the plants from burning up if I have to engage the heater.

I am also going to move my fan and filter outside the tent before the next grow so I can clean up the top half of the tent. I think this will help me manage everything better. Essentially all I want in the tent are anything I need to control and manage atmosphere, lights, and plants.

Because I have the light build to complete and because I want to reconfigure the tent, I am not going to drop seeds to germinate until I’ve got these two girls chopped down and drying. I don’t have a warm enough place to germinate and grow seedlings in the basement so unless I set up a new area (which I can do… I have a plan for it just need time to execute it) to hold seedlings for a couple of weeks, I’ll probably end up starting up again around the end of March and need the tent for a veg space sometime in March.

I’ll likely go 60 days on the BBK so that would put me on 12/12 sometime around the middle of May. I’m not sure the flowering period for a BBK but going on the 8 week average that means harvesting in July-August time frame. I would expect I won’t need any kind of heater after Mother’s Day.

2 Likes

I should note that I only had the one light in the tent at the time, so I expect it will be a lot different this time around with more lights in the tent. In any case I shouldn’t need the heater in flowering unless we have strange weather.

1 Like

Sounds like a solid plan! I would definitely leave all three rails independent regardless of direction or how you’re planning to grow. If nothing else, just to keep them more manageable. They’re not bad individually, but fastening them together is quite a bit different. The adjustability from one side of tent to other will be added bonus.

2 Likes

I’m waiting on the drivers to be delivered but I have everything in from cobkits (came yesterday). I have to go to HD tonight for a non-grow related item so I’ll check out the aluminum angle while I am there and maybe pick it up if 1) it’s in stock and 2) not unreasonably priced.

Maybe try to get another rail built this weekend if not both. I am probably not going to change the existing light configuration in the tent and just let it go as is until this grow finishes.

1 Like

@dbrn32 I thought you might like this comparison of the tall cola on the front of the plant:

From a couple days ago:

And this one from around 4 weeks ago:

8 Likes

Looking for another DIY electronics project (I was looking - and still am - a water temperature sensor) and came across this:

I have to look at the specs in greater detail but I am wondering if I can program it to a specific spectrum or not… if so maybe I could make my own light meter specific to a spectrum I care about… that would be cool. I’ll do some research when I have time.

3 Likes

Found a water temp sensor… :slight_smile:

I suppose you can see where I’m going with this… looking to see if I can build out the elements of a combined grow room atmospheric monitor.

2 Likes

I knew I was watching her get fat. #cobswell.

1 Like

She about doubled in height too.

1 Like

Them extra reds of 90cri putting in work. You’re kicking butt brother! I’m sure you look back and can nit pick a few things here and there, but it’s been a solid grow. Paying off right now.

2 Likes

I see it this way - my first grow I learned how to keep a plant alive and get it to harvest in hydro. This grow I’ve learned (by mistakes of course) how to simplify each growing step and how to read my plants WAY better at each step.

I have also learned - I think - a significant difference in how I thought the plant would train to the screen and how it actually did, and I think I have an idea of how I will do it differently next time to get a more even canopy in terms of not just height, but density. On both my plants right now I have some areas of the canopy that are super packed together.

Tangentially I learned a lot more about growing parameters during this grow, especially in the realm of lights and temperature and humidity effects. It’s been a great grow for me in terms of knowledge gain I can apply to the next one.

6 Likes

Amen to that bro!

2 Likes

Good morning all.
Today mark’s the 125th day since the seeds sprouted. It is the 63rd day since the lights were switched to 12/12, and it is the 47th day since I first noticed flowers.

Not a lot to report today - no new issues or old issues as far as I can tell.

I topped off both plants with plain water today. The GL now has as PPM of 1100 and a PH of 5.82. The SSH now has a PPM of 780 and a PH of 5.92. Neither plant crashed PH overnight for the first time in awhile!

The GL doesn’t seem to be taking up very many nutes. The SSH seems to be taking up a LOT of nutes.

Some bud pics. Nice to see the GL pistils starting to turn.

The SSH has been putting on some nice weight. If you compare to older pics you can see where the stems are starting to get covered up between the bud sites on some of the taller tops.

And it looks like all that stuff at the back of the tent will be okay.

13 Likes

Home stretch on gl, yaaaa!

Ssh kind of trucking along as expected. Applause my friend…

1 Like

I know a man has a grow looks just like this one… It’s Amazing Job! @Bogleg I love getting up to see them…

1 Like

Thanks Otto!

Looks great. Those gold leaf buds are some hairy ladies! :smile:

I appreciate the iterative updates and lessons learned. We can all take something away from your experience and emerge as better growers, so thanks for that.

3 Likes

Hah - I have the same appreciation for your updates. It’s nice to have something to compare against and learn from. At some point I will go through the whole journal and create a spreadsheet of my numbers to see if I can glean anything from them. Next grow I am going to track that stuff in a spreadsheet from the beginning.

2 Likes

Great grow @Bogleg those will be some nice numbers.

2 Likes