The Traveling Grower - The Struggle From the Road

Quick update today. GL and SSH both adjusted with plain water. GL set at 5.85 and 1060. SSH at 5.95 and 767.

I decided to turn my fans on 100% today and see where the temp and humidity shakes out. Last thing I can play with inside the tent is the heater. I think I’ll probably be turning that off in the last week or so of the grow.

Anyway, just a basic, boring update today. :slight_smile:

And it looks like the GL is starting to turn all over the place:

I’d like to see more sugar on the GL…

10 Likes

Give them some sugar Raw cane sugar or Botanicare Sweet, Flora Nectar etc…

2 Likes

Blackstrap or unsulphured molasses is another option correct?

in soil yes but in hydro it’s a nightmare foams like crazy

5 Likes

Roger that!

1 Like

Been feeding her 6ml/gallon of FloraNectar for a month…

2 Likes

try Raw cane sugar tbls gallon has more sulfer natural mag and cal

3 Likes

So just take raw cane sugar and put it in my solution? That’s it? Hmm.

Good morning, my people!

Today marks the end of the 7th week of flower. I am doing a flush on the GL today and reducing the nutes on both plants. Right now the GL is sitting in a Florakleen solution (10ml/gal). I will set her up in 4 hours or so. I checked the SSH this morning - PH 5.92. Leaving her alone until I go change up the GL, then I’ll top off the SSH with nutes today as well.

This will be the last flush before the final week.

Daily overview shots:

A bunch of bud shots. The first one is interesting. When I was trying to clean out the backside of the SSH and get it away from the heater I was reaching down into the canopy and thought I was grabbing one of the SCROG strings that I had cut and pulled it. I ended up pulling out a whole branch that was stuck down into the canopy. Had a nice nug on it so I used a yo-ho to hold it up.

Here’s the GL clone I have going:

You’ll recall the necrotic/cal deficient looking leaves from a few days ago. Those symptoms are progressing, but based on the advice I got in both forums I think this is a natural process, and if it isn’t

I decided to break out the microscope today. Here’s the stoner rig way I do it… it is WAY less than idea but I don’t feel like spending any money on a better solution.

Just took a quick peak today. Here’s a pic from the SSH:

And here is a pic of the GL from about halfway down the tallest cola near the front of the tent:

12 Likes

Beautiful tent right there!

5 Likes

Getting closer! Wow those look good

3 Likes

Flush complete. GL is at 5.84/700 and SSH is at 5.98/800.

3 Likes

Quick update today.

Today marks the beginning of week 8 of flower. It is the 128th day since the seeds sprouted, the 66th day since the lights were switched to 12/12, and the 50th day since I first noticed flowers.

The Gold Leaf crashed PH yet again. She was at 5.14 this morning. I added around a gallon of water to her and adjusted her up to 6.1. Final PPM was 690.

The SSH was at 5.79 and I adjusted her up to 5.85. Final PPM was 620.

Of course starting week 8 means it’s time to start taking more pics of buds from close up. :slight_smile:

Gold Leaf is looking like it’s finally putting out some trichomes.

SSH is looking very hazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Those buds are gorgeous!

3 Likes

I’m going to resist looking at the trichomes this week but when the weekend rolls around I’ll be checking them regularly. Hoping to see the GL really go into finishing mode this week. The way things are looking I could see 65-70 days being the right time frame.

4 Likes

Look atvall that sugar lol nice job bro

2 Likes

Beautiful buds bro! Almost there now.

2 Likes

i’m getting high looking at the pics @Bogleg

2 Likes

Hah - I wish it worked that way!

1 Like

I’ve been spending some of my dwindling mental energy to think about how I would control a grow room if I had the ability to control every aspect remotely. So far I am breaking out the things that could be measured and what should happen if certain measurements are hit. These are my initial notes around this topic as I start looking at how I can make a coordinated solution to remote monitoring/growing.

First, these are the list of things that I think can be monitored in some fashion:

Light: Lux (easily monitored with existing low cost sensors), PAR (much harder, and likely too expensive to build)

Atmosphere: Temperature, Humidity, CO2

Medium: Water temp, PH, PPM, water volume (AFAIK there are no sensors for measuring PH and PPM so those might be a no-go).

Power: Fans, lights, heater, humidifier, dehumidifier

Once I figure out the thing I can actually measure, the next step is figuring out what ranges I want to measure and what happens when the parameter is outside that range.

Temperature ranges for alerts and controls:

Suitable grow temp should remain between 50F and 90F depending on growing stage
We can set alerts for both 50F and 90F
We can turn on/off equipment based on the temp reported. Mock code:

If temp >= 90F check the fans and send alert
If fans = off turn fans on
else if fans = on check the heater
if heater = on turn heater off
else if heater = off check the lights
if lights = on turn lights off
If temp <= 50F check the fans and send alert
if fans = on turn fans off
else if fans = off check the heater
if heater = off turn heater on
// in the case of lights, we don’t want to be turning them on without human intervention because we might be in flower…

For humidity it would be similar but using a different range. I was thinking something like 30% to 80%, and we would use code similar to above. One of the questions is how to prioritize what you would turn on/off to address an outlying issue and essentially automate the system to adjust what it can to keep the plants alive long enough for human intervention.

For water monitoring all I know I can do right now is monitor water temps - in that case I’d probably just use an alert to let me know if things out of whack.

This is how far I’ve gotten on the thinking so far, but the next step is considering physical automation. Using servos and valves to open and close pipes, etc. based on what the sensors are reading. I need to see if there is any kind of PH and/or PPM sensor I can use in this kind of system. If I can find those then I can automated the recording/logging of data right from my reservoirs, and potentially build something to let me add PH Up or Down based on PH range. PPM is a different best entirely and would require me to think about the nute line I am using and a bunch of other stuff… but auto adjust PH could allow me to be on the road for a week without worry.

3 Likes