Mesclun

Sunflower

Habanero

Purple Sage

Pumpkin

Garlic Scape

Long view

15 Likes

I appreciate that @BobWags. The genetics really show some differences in nutrient requirements.
The Chocolope, Gold Leaf, and Pineapple Haze are thriving with no real symptoms while both Super Silver and Purple hazes look half dead by comparison. The sweeter ones Blueberry, Strawberry Haze and Bubblegum all show CaMg deficiencies too.
We’ll see how they all look after today’s feeding of Alaska fish and CaMg across the board.

3 Likes

I hope to be able to grow in the ground like you one day @Willd it’s a thing of beauty my friend nice work

1 Like

you’re logic about watering seems correct, @Willd focus around the stem, use an imaginary 10 gallon pot size (or larger) circumference?

I wish I knew then, summers of 2014-2015 for a couple of outdoor grows what I know now…my plants would have produced bigger, better buds…but outdoors does bring a longer growing season and for me, ending before the flowering stage really finished…plus tighter buds attracted bugs and mold, harder to control outside for me.

2 Likes

@Willd it shouldn’t extend it

1 Like

Hey Brother!

I’m curious about why you say it shouldn’t matter? Not that I think you’re wrong, I don’t know the answer, but it seems logical that a filled out screen would extend the dripline.

Regardless of where you decide to water, when it rains the canopy should be directing the water to the edge just like any other tree or shrub.

I’m questioning myself more than you because my first thought, before seeing your response was; yes, it would extend the dripline.

It may be a couple days before I can see a response, but I would like to hear your reasoning, if you wouldn’t mind…

1 Like

Give me a little while to give you a good answer at work right now @FloridaSon as soon as I go on break ill be back here and have a response for you dont really have the time to write a lot at the moment

3 Likes

I’ll see it when I return then. Please don’t feel rushed. After this reply I’ll be done for today.

See y’all next time…

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input so far.
I just read a few articles about trees in general and would think the same principles apply.

They all agree that the extent of the crown or canopy size and root zone don’t really correlate in any exact ratio.
Porosity and overall composition of the soil as well as average water table levels is what seems to dictate the size of the root zone. That being said it would seem that pruning to minimize or doing SCROG to maximize the canopy shouldn’t really have much effect on the size of the root zone.

This one makes it clear as mud.

Being my first SCROG, I’m hoping to fill these screens out right.

4 Likes

It seems logical to me that a tree’s roots have to grow larger than the canopy to receive rain.
The roots also grow at the same slow pace as the tree, to support the weight of the tree as it gets bigger.
With a SCROG that natural progression is tricked, where the plant does not have to hold it’s own weight & you can water to a diameter of a “normal” sized root ball. I think the size of the root ball would depend on the density of the soil it grows in?
I am far from a professional, but am speaking solely from my own opinion.

2 Likes

I just had a huge epiphany about the nutrient deficiencies. I’m convinced the reason they were looking so crummy there for a while and suffering from N deficiency until about a week ago is two fold.

1.) I used way too much ProMix in the holes and not enough of the “known fertile” soil I had dug out to make the holes when I transplanted them.
2.) I never fed them anything their entire 4 month lives indoors until a light does of fish when I put them in the ground a month ago.

I also believe the reason they suddenly started bouncing back about a week before today’s feeding is because the roots finally have enough contact with real soil to absorb the required nutrients already present.
I say that is because everything else that was direct sown or transplanted without any promix is perfectly healthy green, and growing fine with a little Alaska fish and occasional spot feeding with whatever Mrs. WillD says any given veggie or flower needs, whenever Mrs, WillD says it needs it.
Blood meal & bone meal for garlic & onions, CaMg to thwart blossom end rot in nightshade veggies, etc.

No matter how many times I’ve been around the block, I’m pleased to know there’s always a new discovery to make the trip enlightening.

4 Likes

we live,we learn…i’m glad things are working out. now i bet they really take off!

Thanks @BIGE! Thinking it’s about time to start clipping some stems onto the screen.
End of month totals are in for the remainder of the 2015 stash

It’s definitely going down, but there’s still plenty of Sour Diesel kicking around and almost double the amount of Bubba Kush. Without the advent of the Boveda 2 way humidity control and good old LeakTite brand buckets it would have had to be frozen or become a dusty bunch of crumbs by now.

Bubba Kush

Reg size bic lighter for perspective

Sour Diesel

Another grey, muggy start to a grey, muggy weekend on tap

Officially started the SCROG today

Even the little one!

Taken the wee lassie (Gold Leaf clone from pruning a month ago) supercropped too!
BEFORE

AFTER

TGIF! Happy Growing! @ragnar @Countryboyjvd1971 @Sl1 @Hogmaster @North_East_Newbie @daz49 @kabongster @bob31
Shutting down the router effective 1800 EST and not turning it back on until 0900 on 7/5 when I return to work.

16 Likes

Those screens will be filling up quickly Will!
Where did you buy those 2 way humidity packets, I may need some.
Everything is looks great.
Hope you enjoy your weekend my friend!

##Blueberry had a little accident

I’m not going to do anything about it other than maybe prune it right out. That was created by a FIM site in April I think and split when I pushed down on them a little. Oh well.

Sorry for the photo being focused above the point I was trying to show.

5 Likes

Amazon or Ebay. I don’t recall. They are great. I use the 8gram ones in my humidors and the 60 gram jobs in the 5 gallon buckets.

5 Likes

Searching for those today.
How bout them buckets? Are they made for food storage?
Right now I have 4 cases of canning jars for my indoor grow, but feel I’ll need something bigger come fall.

1 Like

Looks great brother time to start tucking those girls lol
Nice looks like your getting fo the bottom of the stash

2 Likes

Looking great Mr @Willd I hope you don’t mind me asking ,I know why I would do a scrog - to spread the branches out to get more light to them, and get more bigger buds, but you grow huge plants outside and have huge buds and huge yeilds, why are you doing a scrog? Probably just an experiment knowing you, love the look of your buds, I can’t wait till I’ve got enough to have buds to choose from, again still jel but I know it’s taken a lot of time and hard work

1 Like

I had four of those sucker filled in Nov 2015. They’re just plain old industrial LeakTite brand buckets from the local hardware store, but yeah nothing beats airtight glass containers. You just have to make sure you keep them in a cool dark place. Light degrades the THC pretty quickly.

Since I have 12 different strains going this season I am eyeing some smaller food grade buckets on Amazon.
Thanks @Countryboyjvd1971! Looks like this is going to really address the crowding in the center of each plant and open them up to more light. Some of them seem to be trying to flower and foxtail but I think it’s just pre flower and rampant veg growth now that they’re finally established.

:crossed_fingers: :pray: :church: ha ha ha ha

4 Likes