The Forbidden Grove

The forbidden grove and the major makeover for this season.

Seeds
Barney’s farm- Runtz
Fast Buds- Gorilla cookies Fast version
Royal queen seeds- Honey cream
Royal queen seeds- Blue Mystic

Containers have been upgraded from holes in the ground to raised beds made of cage 3’ diameter and around 8” deep of soil, each pot is around 3 cubic foot. Directly above last years hole’s.

Soil was created using the coots method.
3 equal parts horse pasture dirt/ perlite/ Spaghnum peat moss.

Cover crop for pots is clover and buckwheat for self sustaining nitrogen and phosphorus, with a layer of hay until planting at the end of may.

This year I’m attempting to create living soil raised beds for long term use, 100% organic.

21 Likes

@ADK_Guerrila
Look like this will be great! That Honey Cream has my attention!:crossed_fingers:
I use Buckwheat and clover also👍

SL out.

5 Likes

All strains chosen for this years grow have early flower times in September to hopefully beat the fall rain. And also correction the homemade beds hold 4.7 cubic foot of soil.

2 Likes

@Blackmoon
@4204life
@W.B.elpaso
@plumbdand
@BigTrout
@peachfuzz
@dbrn32
@Naturalmedsman
@HippieRunner1
@blueskies

Tagging some people in for this years endeavor, hope all is well :v:

6 Likes

Let’s Go!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag in
Set to watching
Hope your grow goes well
Good idea :bulb: getting the fast flowering :bouquet:
Im in my harvest window now and the autumn rains have started.
Cut my 1st bud rot off this morning

My adventures can be seen on my thread
Cheers :beers: :clap: :v: :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

@Blackmoon I wish you the best of luck, bud rot got 3 full plants last year. I’ve been doing a lot of research into the soil food web and there are ways to kill the main spores of the rot with proper predatory insects that live in the soil.

4 Likes

I haven’t used buckwheat I usually use red and white inoculated clover as my main cover crops. This year Im gonna plant some buckwheat. A lot of my clover survived over the winter and is taking over sections of my backyard.

3 Likes

I’m ready!

3 Likes

Zsweet looking soil. Im just finishing up my mix. Same style, raised bed holes for me. Im set, lets start poppin seeds!

3 Likes

I started digging, inspecting and testing my soil in last years holes. Its just crammed full of earthworms everywhere. Night crawlers and Red wigglers. I could start a worm poop business and sell worms for bait.

5 Likes

Hoping for a prosperous outdoor season, good luck!

6 Likes

Following along… I just got some gorilla cookie fast flowers so excited to see what yours do!!!

3 Likes

@W.B.elpaso @plumbdand i definitely made way too much soil but I couldn’t break down the recipe into smaller amounts, also i didn’t add any dry amendments. So in total I made 36 cubic foot worth of it :joy: also I’m not sure if you’ve seen this YouTube channel of the living soil food web but check it out, there’s lots of useful information!!

6 Likes

Just a bit extra, ha. So now you need to pot up some baby fruit trees. :green_apple::pear::peach:

4 Likes

Agreed I would like around 10 apple trees

4 Likes

6 days since the start of the germination process all the seedlings are doing great, had a slight hiccup using the peat pods as far as when seeds popped the taproot actually pushed the whole seed out of the pod with the tap root ? So I transplanted all in the small green containers, needless to say I will never be using peat pods again. There are 2 I started late and just watered into soil to see how they would take, still haven’t popped yet.

And yes I’m using 2 fish aquariums as basically mini greenhouses with Saran Wrap over the top :joy: that way I don’t have to control the humidity of the whole tent

Seeds started soaking in water on 4/6

5 Likes

I hope you don’t mind if I tag in.

I would be cautious with the peat pods, I used them for starting tomatoes and peppers. Pods retained moisture after transfer into solo cups and ultimately the seedlings damped-off.

5 Likes

@PogueMahone yes they definitely do they are definitely the slower method of starting. I’ve done this a few times so I know how it goes but you definitely need to let everything dry out completely especially the pod before adding water

4 Likes

Created some homemade Humic acid today with my compost :heart_eyes:

5 Likes