Plant Self-sabotage?

Some of my Northern Lights new foliage is coming in twisted and deformed. They eventually untwist and straighten out as the new leaves get older but when they do it causes the leaves to tear. This has happened their whole life and I wasn’t concerned but now it seems to be happening a lot more. Should I be concerned? What is causing this?

2 Likes

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA - Northern Lights Autoflower

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? FF Ocean Floor

System type? Hand water, pH in 6

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? pH out 6.5

What is strength of nutrient mix? ppm about 700? I don’t have my log with me and I can’t remember for sure.

Indoor or Outdoor - indoor

Light system, size? iPower 600w HPS w/ air cooled hood

Temps; Day: 70-75 Night: 65-70
Humidity; Consistently 50%

Ventilation system; 6" iPower inline fan with carbon filter. Passive intake. 10" oscillating fan.

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: Small A/C unit unknown BTUs. Humidifier yes

Co2; Not yet

Mine seed to do the same thing… some of the middle inner growth looks almost eaten, but I can’t see any pests at all. I’m putting it down to lack of light, but who knows for the outer ones

I’m having same problem. Please tag me.

Sometimes it’s genetic

1 Like

Too much N can cause same result without burning commonly known as hooking seen very often in flower it doesn’t always exhibit with nutrient burn the leaf grows faster from inside out not letting outer edges stretch. Another common cause is lower humidity either from too much air movement or low RH it hardens outer edges of leafs before they fill out think of them as stretch lines your skin can’t keep up with growth rates.
I would try 2 things misting plants and reducing N in their feedings a 3rd option is to reduce light intensity which slows growth rates some

I think since people focus on deficiencies so often they forget that an imbalance or excess of a single nutrient can express quite similar to a deficiency of another sometimes we just care our plants to death. Get focused on maybe it’s missing something and ignore the minor tweaks as simple as environment or too much of a seemingly good thing

3 Likes

@Laurap Thanks @Donaldj my leaf tips (just the very tips) have started pointing at the floor as well so N toxicity fits the bill perfectly. I’m just glad it’s a single (I hope…) problem. My bloom nutes have the same amount of N as my grow did and I’m sure that’s why this is getting worse now that they’re flowering. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

just reduce frequency of feeding to a water water feed until they show signs of getting hungry or improving or slightly reduce doses

1 Like