Noob in need of wisdom!

@Rugar89 Thank you for your help I guess tomorrow I will be rearranging my tent so I can get a fan going and hopefully grow my girls in better temps.

3 Likes

Sorry I wasnā€™t clear. Iā€™m still in the planning section. Nothing is bought yet. Iā€™m trying to list my thoughts as I go so I donā€™t forget something I need or donā€™t buy something I donā€™t need. Iā€™m going to do a journal once I get my plan together and some ladies growing.

3 Likes

I see the same picture of your buds you post in about every thread about 10 times. 1 1/2 ounces from 4 plants?

That to me is not an advertisement for ignoring ph

2 Likes

Back to the original question if I may. You say you only have closets with the folding doors. If a closet is wide enough to hang clothes, itā€™s wide enough for a plant. Look at the dimensions of some small commercial grow tents, youā€™ll be surprisedā€¦

And you already have the rod to hang stuff from. I would get a curtain rod and a blackout curtain, remove the bi-fold doors and line the closet with Mylar for starters. With a sturdy curtain you could seal it as tight as you like for darkness, or adjust it for temp/ventilation.

Just a thought. Again, it depends on who you need to hide it from.

4 Likes

Youā€™re in a 2x2x4 tent and donā€™t plan on using a carbon filter? It shouldnā€™t really matter what size you use. Youā€™re talking about exchanging 16 cubic feet of air. Even with some ducting, a 4 inch fan will do a complete exchange a couple times per minute.

I would look at whichever size is going to fit better. If the tent port youā€™re going to use is 4", it doesnā€™t make sense to buy a 6" fan and reduce it down. Or ā– ā– ā– ā–  versa. And youā€™ll have to be careful when installing your ductwork as well. Light doesnā€™t shine around corners, but it will bounce off reflective surfaces. So simply installing a 90 degree bend doesnā€™t always cover light leaks.

1 Like

@Fever while I agree with you on the statement of ph, @BudBuddy is at just about expected yeild for his lighting. While monitoring his ph would probably increase his yeild, what are we talking, maybe half a zip?

It wouldnā€™t matter if he had 1 plant in there or 10. That light isnā€™t going to pull a half pound. Itā€™s extremely weak in red spectrum which will lack in bud development, and draws maybe 100ish watts? So a master grower could expect to pull around 3-4 ounces tops with that set up. All things considered, I think heā€™s doing pretty good. But like I said in the beginning, I do agree that tightening up his process would be better.

1 Like

I agree and the fact he is on grow #3 means odds are not in his favor for the time when he actually gets a lockout issue. Who knows he may not know what to do when that happens and may trash a plant or two.

Yes lots of factors involved but nutrient uptake is huge and ph facilitates that.
He could just get one plant put the light closer and evenly train it. Combine that with good nutrient uptake and environment (temp airflow and humidity) he will be able to get more fro one plant than he got with all our combined.

Now thatā€™s not even counting the exchange from microbes at the root zone when the microbes Injest the sugar and expel needed gases etc for plant to absorb. Perhaps that process is also dependent on ph (I think it is). I dont know for sure though so letā€™s ask experts @Majiktoker @Donaldj @garrigan62 @Hogmaster

Imagine that this area is closed off by a bi-fold door. Check out my grow journal. Oh, and just for giggles:

2 Likes

Yes all that stuff needs to be taken into consideration. But just like you said when suggesting he could pull that with one plant, thatā€™s dependant on the grow. Heā€™s not gonna pull that from a single plant without running a much longer veg time and doing the training. The alternative to that is running more plants. Just because you choose to do it that way, doesnā€™t make it the best option for everyone. Talking yeild per plant is pretty much useless. Plants donā€™t really become a limiting factor in yeild at any point in a grow until you consider veg time.

I agreed with you that he would be more successful monitoring ph. And i donā€™t doubt that the professionals will agree with us. But the contrary to the fact that heā€™s on his 3rd grow, maybe itā€™s something heā€™ll never have to do??? Itā€™s entirely possible that his media is a little low, and his water is a little high, and itā€™s just dumb luck that heā€™s not having issues and never will.

All things considered, Iā€™m with you on your original post that it shouldnā€™t be a great example of not monitoring ph. But I thought he was doing fairly well regardless.

Going back to the other questions, there are different levels of hiding this.

You could essentially build yourself a makeshift tent out of something like panda film. Or see if you can find a small tent to put in there. As we discussed earlier, convert a piece of furniture into a grow box, or possibly even buy a manufactured grow cabinet?

All are viable options, each providing different levels of stealth at different budget levels. It will ultimately come to what you think will work best within your budget and abilities.

Yes I think itā€™s a matter of strain then and nutes. Once he changes one of these it could open up a host of issues if ph is not monitored

1 Like

Maybe. We donā€™t really know because heā€™s not checking haha. Respectfully, his grows are currently saying otherwise. You know the minute you or I sluffed on ph weā€™d have problems, but sometimes thatā€™s just the way it goes right?

1 Like

@dbrn32

I think my best move is to simply buy a tent. My ignorance is making this process harder than it should be tho lol. My current space can accomodate an 2x2x3, but I am thinking its worth getting the 2x2x4 for the added canopy space. if I run the lights to cut on in the evening and cut off before midday heat, I feel like that my best bet for heat issues, even with the fans. It gets really hot here and the house is hot during midday, so lights out at that time should help me manage somewhat. Iā€™m also leaning toward LED lighting for the heat concerns. Due to stealth and size restrictions, its not viable for me to plan a real AC boosting type deal to offset heat unless it was absolutely necessary.

Overall the vision is coming together, it is just a matter of putting it all together to get started I feel like. This would be my first grow of anything basically, so Iā€™m having to learn as I go and I want to have a good a grasp as possible for when I start, so something like pH and ā€œrunoffā€ and how to test them etc are all foreign concepts to me.

With all the great advice Iā€™ve read here and in many other topics and journals, I really think I will be successful. I may just need my hand held on some overall basic steps along the way lol.

2 Likes

Dude, if you have a closet you can useā€¦ I made this one this wide because thatā€™s the size of the table I hadā€¦

1 Like

I think youā€™re on the right track @Vance420.

You will definitely want the extra foot if you plan on mounting a fan and/or filter in the top of your tent. I seen a nice 2x2x4 on amazon under $40 a few weeks ago too.

As a side bar for the future, start looking into training methods and different types of grows to maximize the height restriction. There are several options that will work well.

@dbrn32 Is that the Scrog thing with the net Iā€™ve been seeing? Iā€™m definitely going to read up on that some as well. Iā€™m thinking I want to do at least 2 plants, and maybe 3. I want them to have room to grow, but have a room to experiment or have a backup plant if one of them goes bad on me lol. My big idea is to use bag seeds for the first time and get a grasp on what Iā€™m doing, and then use ilgm seeds for the next time.

2 Likes

@Whodat66 Iā€™ve got a closet, but its a doorless one. I think a tent will be ok in there as long as I can patch up any light leaks. Iā€™ve got a shelf at 3ā€™ I either have to remove or modify to fit a 4ā€™ tent in there. Iā€™m leaning towards doing the modifications so I can have the taller tent. I think thats the best play for me at this point of being a noob. Gives me more space to learn and grow, and also more room to hopefully make less lighting mistakes :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You got it!

You use the net to restrict the upward growth of your plants. You keep tucking the new growth back under the net until itā€™s completely full, then switch to flower. The idea is that the plant create bud sites at each new spot of growth. The buds will extend beyond the net and not have to compete with the foliage for light. Thereā€™s a little more to it than that, but thatā€™s it in a nutshell. It wouldnā€™t be difficult to fill a 2x2 with a single plant in reasonable time, but you would have a difficult time running other plants along with a scrog.

If you think you want to dabble with a few different plants, check out sog (sea of green) style grows. In this method, the idea is to run several small plants. How many is really up to you, and how much veg time you want to run. But it does require photo period plants. You basically just put as many small pots as you can fit in your tent, and once they begin to fill the area, flip them to flowering light schedule.

In a scrog the idea is to create multiple bud sites with very little plants. In an sog, the idea is to grow a lot of single cola plants. Which one is better, is entirely up to your growing plan. The scrog is popular because it requires very few seeds/clones. Also, in areas where growing is illegal or limited, having 1 plant as opposed to many is typically lower charge if caught. The downfall of a scrog is long veg time and lots of maintenance. In an sog you can pull multiple harvests a year with the right strains, but you have increased seed/clone costs. With the possibility of not being legal another downfall.

Long story short, try to get as much knowledge about the different methods and make a decision based off how they will work for you. Just because someone runs 4 months veg on a single plant, doesnā€™t mean itā€™s best for your goals. The idea is to yeild as much as you can within your area while maintaining the standards you need.

7 Likes

Are you forum stalking, lmao?

Thanks for your input. I donā€™t even let that guy get to me. I grow the way that works and I think heat is a bigger issue then the ph. For my 3rd grow I not gonna complain and if he thinks I got 1 1/2 ounces in total totally wrong and thereā€™s 3 plants in there not 4 and I actually have about a ounce and a half to 2 ounces each.

1 Like