Harvest time tools / equipment

I have a few weeks until harvest, I am reading now about the harvest because this is my first grow. Is there any tools or equipment that is recommended to have to be fully prepared to harvest? I am growing indoors if that makes a difference.

1 Like
  1. Know where you will hang and dry your plants.
  2. Know HOW you will you hang and dry your plants (clothes line, clothes pins, etc).
  3. You will need a good pair of scissors that you don’t mind getting really sticky
  4. You will probably need a good pair of shears (Amazon.com)
  5. You want something to put your trimmed branches on unless you are hanging them up right away
  6. You want a bucket or some kind of container for all of your sugar leaf and popcorn bud trim
  7. Zip-lock bag(s) for your trim depending on how you want to store it (I store mine fresh frozen)
  8. A garbage can or large tote for your stems, fan leaves, debris. etc that you will just throw away.
9 Likes

@Bogleg can I hang them in my grow tent? Obviously nothing will be in there growing…

1 Like

Absolutely - that’s where I hung mine, and where a lot of people who use grow tents end up hanging them. It’s advantageous because most of us have already set up our tents with carbon filters to reduce odor, so hanging our drying bud in the tent allows us to utilize the filtering built into our grow space to keep odors down throughout the house.

5 Likes

@Bogleg

That’s a lot of great info and thoughts!

1 Like

@dmykins, @Bogleg, whatever you intend to store in. Mason jars. I like the quart wide mouth. Walmart has pretty good prices.

3 Likes

Ahh excellent point! I missed the “final” storage requirement in my list. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410

Looking up Mason jars now lol…

1 Like

FYI you will need roughly one quart-sized mason jar per ounce of dried bud when the time comes. I harvested 4.4oz and it fit into 4 mason jars just about right (75% full). You want to leave a little room in the jar during the cure from what I have read. You want enough room so you can gently shake it and make sure the buds aren’t all sticking together.

5 Likes

How do these look…?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CNHCDR6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508252388&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=quart+wide+mouth+mason+jars&dpPl=1&dpID=51hutpMwP2L&ref=plSrch

2 Likes

Boveda 62% packs, 8 gram size. Put one in each Mason jar for the perfect curing humidity.

If you have a very dry climate, I’d dry the whole plant for one day. Next day I’d cut all branches with buds and put them in a paper bag and then the bag into a black trash bag. Another two or three days, trim and then Mason jars.

2 Likes

@Loneviking
So these are what you recommend along with Mason jars?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JV27MF4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?tag=greenrel-20

2 Likes

Walmart had them for half that.

5 Likes

Awesome list @Bogleg!! THANKS!

I will be embarking on my first harvest in a few weeks so this really comes in handy!!

1 Like

Yep, those are the packs.

1 Like

@Loneviking

Sounds good. I will get some. Is there any links anywhere that anyone can point me to on the proper way to dry/cure. I see bits and pieces here and there, but nothing cut and dry. (get it)

@Myfriendis410

Does it specifically have to be a mason jar? Or any jar in general? I am on Wal Mart’s website and they have jarden brands Kerr jar wide mouth quart…doesn’t specifically say mason jar…

Will that be a problem?

1 Like

I think that’s what I used.

1 Like

Some people use those swing top seal jars, others with large harvests use 5 gallon buckets. Some vacuum seal.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410

Perfect. I will see what I can find. Seems Wal Mart is the cheapest.

1 Like