Growing Aloe Indoors

@Herbalist I saw your aloe plant

and I thought folks would be interested in learning more. I look at mine and then I look at your plant and I see that mine needs some TLC. So I re-potted and I’m thinking my grow tent might make a good ICU. I will post a pic in a little bit.

4 Likes

I thought about growing catnip, used to grow It Outdoors it’s very easy but I don’t know if that would encourage her to go in there more ?

I think it might, if what I saw when I was growing it in my backyard was any example

@bob31 I would be happy to help you with your aloe plant! I will wait for a pic before offering advice, but basically repot and a warm 70 degrees ought to do it. Otherwise, they thrive on neglect. :slight_smile:

@Paranorman, did you know catmint is good for people too? It’s probably not as “effective” as cannabis, but it’s a safe alternative if you have to drive somewhere. :wink: it’s good for muscle cramps and menstrual cramps.

1 Like

I don’t know what catmint is? I used to grow cat grass, I’d like to grow some for my cat again could you please tell me what kind of an oat it was?

• thanks

Cat grass and catmint (also called catnip), as you have rightly noticed, are two different things. Cat grass is really wheat grass (yep, the same stuff health junkies put in their smoothies.) Catmint, as the name implies, is in the mint family. This is the species that has sedative, calming, and pain relieving properties. Cat grass is just a tasty snack and does not make cats stoned like catmint does. @Paranorman

3 Likes

Also, cat grass is an annual plant, and catmint is a perennial. Cat grass is so easy to grow, it is an excellent beginner plant for young children. Catmint takes a bit more experience.

1 Like

Wheatgrass that’s it, cheaper to buy it that way then order it like a pet specialty product thanks for the info

the hardest thing about growing catnip is keeping the neighbors cats out of it! omg every day it was a new cat in it and it even when I hung it from a fence post they could still get at it…!? Good info, thanks again

1 Like

ok @Herbalist I’m going to get a new pot tomorrow. I think we broke rule number one. The plant was in a pot with no drainage. She’s in tough shape and has no real roots that I can see. But there is some fairly new growth so I think she will pull through once I get a new pot. More tomorrow!

1 Like

@bob31 Yes, aloe is a drought tolerant succulent, and as such requires lots of drainage. She also needs a nice sunny spot. Or if you put her in the grow room, that will work too. She doesn’t care for too much humidity though. Cannabis likes more humidity than aloe.

Down the bottom of the tent the humidity is pretty low, I’d say 35% Rh but she isn’t getting much sunlight through the window because of the time of year. Good sunlight 2/3 of the year. I’m thinking a repot with drainage and a stint in the ICU for 3 weeks to a month should have her well on her way!

1 Like

Thanks for working with me. My mom had an unbelievable green thumb but mines got some brown in it lol.

1 Like

You’re very welcome. I’m glad I can help someone! :smiley:

1 Like

@Herbalist Maybe you can help me do you know what this spotting is…?

It’s only on one leaf each, on two Auto plants, thanks in advance for any help

… I should add there are no mites and it’s not a water splash or Newt Splash or anything like thatv

@Paranorman Something different going on there tho.

Nope I was asking herbalist I thought I had them tagged, in I went back and added the edit, thanks again

1 Like

Hmmm… I get this on some of my outdoor herbs each season, but in that case it’s just a normal progression of life, and my herbs do not fare any worse for the wear. Occasionally a leaf or two will begin to die, but I just pinch it off and all is well.
Indoors, I’ve had some houseplants get a bit odd spotty like that. To me, it gives me the impression they feel a bit faint, if that makes sense. I don’t know the cause, sorry. Do you rotate your plants so they get more even light exposure? That’s one of the first things I do when I notice a houseplants looking a bit under the weather. Sometimes a plant just wants a change of scenery! Then I check soil, water if needed, and maybe give a bit of plant food. That usually does the trick. And I check for dying leaves or blossoms and dead head regularly too.

1 Like

These are automatics about a month old, very vigorous and right underneath the 400watt vented Hood with steady temperature (and everything else) …assuming they have the best of everything, I’m looking to see if this could be lsf or TMV?

OK we are repotted into the good stuff. Fox Farm Ocean Forest for now at least. Since its organically rich I figure good nursery soil. So here she is.

She’s an ugly duckling…

@Herbalist

@Herbalist I’m wondering about watering as well? I know they are a dry climate plant. Couple three weeks?

1 Like