First Timer Outdoors - Getting Going Question

First time poster but 100’s of topic reader. Did a couple indoor grows bout 15 years ago while in college but just received my ILGM seeds (5 Afghan & 5 Strawberry Kush) and doing a straight outdoor grow in the MS country.

Going to germinate 7 or probably 8 of them in the next couple days. Got my plan in the head thanks to this here forum but have a couple questions getting going if y’all could help a fellow brother out…

First and main question is… had planned on starting and doing it all outdoors but after reading so many topics on here I think it’d be better if I get a LED light or two to give the girls the best start possible. Should/Could I just keep em outside or by window seal if necessary certain days for the first 2 or 3 weeks (day temp high 80’s/night temp high 60’s right now) mainly in the shade to start with moving into sunlight slowly then transplant to final spot or get a light or two then bring outside for say a week slowly getting them adjusted to the sunlight so won’t get shocked before moving to final spot? And if a light or two to start indoors is the route to go - what and how much watt for 8 girls is the best and cheapest option?

Second thing is my seedling soil… I picked up some MG seed starting soil when I first decided to get this whole process going. Keep reading tho that it is soilless and kindly iffy. Should I use that MG seedling soil (NPK .03/.03/.03) straight up, mix say half and half with some of the soil I’m going to be using (“Just Natural” organic soil with worm castings - NPK is .06/.09/.06) or just use straight soil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated to give these girls the best start possible. And straight love this here site too - I can’t stay off of it and never seen anything like it before!

1 Like

Take my comments as worth less than 2 cents. I’m a first time grower myself! But I don’t see why you should start indoors in the Spring if you intend to move 'em outdoors. People with more experience might contradict me, but it seems to me that the sun is a pretty great source of light and energy! AND . . . for outdoor growing – these fabric aerobic growing pots (linked below) seems like a good idea to me, since then you can try out spots that your girls will like, and find better spots later . . .with more or less sun. I’ve read that some people’s plants are kind of sensitive to sun. But mine? The more sun they get, the more they seem to like it!

This fabric pot idea came from @Sasquatch over here: Feeding Schedule With Fabric Pots - #14 by Sasquatch

Good luck with the seeds!

https://www.amazon.com/247Garden-5-Pack-Gallon-Aeration-Handles/dp/B013JFHMNK/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EQBXHXVA5M8MZEH35Q7W

2 Likes

Thank ya. I like them bags and the 7 gallon too. I already have 5 holes dug in the main location and thought about having a few in some’n to move around like you mentioned but wanted more than 5 gallons for a bigger yeild.

And that’s what I thought on the starting outdoors with it being this far into spring like it is

1 Like

@arpeggio Thanks for the mention and the link you posted is the exact pots I’m using! @EasyE I use these pots because 1. the soil in my neck of the woods sucks and 2 If I have to I can move them out of site. You can get these same pots bigger if you want. Bigger the pot the bigger the plant. If the soil is good for growing in and gets plenty of sun then go for it I say. Good luck with your grow!

@Willd does outdoor but starts indoor so he may be able to help. And I think @Countryboyjvd1971 does as well and maybe @bob31 and @Majiktoker. I think there are a couple more but can’t remember them at the moment.

1 Like

Yea im an outdoor grower

2 Likes

@Majiktoker Do you start indoor and move outdoor?

1 Like

Yes usually so their roots are well developed allows them to take off way faster and adapt better.

I usually leave them inside until the hey are ready for first transplant so about the first 4-6 weeks started inside, usually the first 4 weeks unless im well prepared. @EasyE

1 Like

@Majiktoker Copy that and if ya did for 8 babies - what kind of light/wattage would you go with?

600 watt hps or 900 watt led

2 Likes

I also grow outdoors and indoors as well
I start mine inside and move out as well
But @Majiktoker is already here and will guide you
He’s the man lol
Tag me if you need anything @EasyE
Thanks for the mention @AnneBonny
I also use those pots have up to 25 gal versions
Love them

3 Likes

If u are short on funds u dont have to get a light u can just sprout them inside and take outside to get sun and just leave them if temps are good.

Not wanting to step on anyone toes just a thought.

It is my first grow and thats how i did it and mine look good. I only took back inside if temps got below mid 50s.

But likei said my first grow and these guys are better than i am at this.

1 Like

I germinated mine inside and would have had them outside with in a couple days but… Heavy rains came then over night mid 30 temps for a few days. So I had 5 plants that stayed inside for 8 days then I transplanted to the 7 gal pots put them out side and haven’t looked back. They turned 6 weeks old yesterday and are strong, healthy and growing great! I didn’t see the need for a expensive light set up. As it is my biggest expense is seeds from ILGM. Not knocking how others on this site do it. It works for them. I’m sure location comes in to play for some… if it works for you do it!
Just my rookie opinion

1 Like

Just took these. white buckets 4 weeks old, black pots 6 weeks old

4 Likes

Well played and the girls are looking good!

3 Likes

you can get away with doing as @Hunter00 stated it just time consuming
You can get inexpensive lights to start them indoors
T5 set up or cfl bulbs if you get enough would be cheap options for seed starting lights
@Sasquatch girls look good
I’m trying a green housebout for the first time this year usually I just put outside in pots
Will see how it goes it will help with heavy rain which we got a week of with cold temps as well
Keep up the good work

3 Likes