All things Massachusetts & MA Legalization

yeah exactly. And no money exchanges. All thru the website, I guess unless someone tosses you a tip?

Although there would be some risk hauling valuable cargo. :+1:

I saw that dispensary in Brockton. $30 for delivery is steep, but itā€™s a step in the right direction.
Once MJ becomes more widely accepted/legal, I see an Amazon type company streamline the delivery process & make it more affordable. Ideally, package stores will sell MJ as well a dispensaries, for ā€œone stop shoppingā€ :wink:

who am i kidding,i would be my own best customer! lol

2 Likes

That makes perfect sense @North_East_Newbie Thatā€™s they way it should be. Yes, $30 to deliver around Brocton but I think itā€™s $100 to my houseā€¦ hahaha oh well.

@BIGE As long as they donā€™t drug test, lol

Stay strapped up then haha. I have a .40 that has 10 friends if anyone ever felt frogy haha

1 Like

$100 is craziness!
I have a hard time paying foreign ATM fees (trying to justify that $2.00 is only a 2% charge if I take out $100).

With my logic, Iā€™d have to order A LOT of weed, to make the 2% argument validā€¦

1 Like

Probably well worth it if you are for example a home bound patient purchasing the allotted 60 day supply.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree more. Itā€™s jus a matter of time before the start local delivery here. Kinda hard to believe!

1 Like

@Littlemushiehunter tagging you so you can see any updates. Iā€™ll do the same on my journals. And welcome to the group!

2 Likes

A 28 percent tax on marijuana? Thatā€™s the plan under the latest bill

By Joshua Miller GLOBE STAFF JUNE 13, 2017

House leaders will unveil a bill Wednesday that would more than double the total tax on recreational marijuana and give municipal officials ā€” instead of local voters ā€” the power to ban cannabis shops and farms.

The legislation marks an extraordinary break with the 1.8 million Massachusetts voters who legalized marijuana through last yearā€™s ballot.

The bill would also consolidate oversight of the stateā€™s medical and recreational marijuana programs in one agency, enshrine restrictions on pot-infused edibles in law, set limits on marijuana advertising, and effectively strip Treasurer Deborah B. Goldberg of her unilateral marijuana oversight authority. Thatā€™s according to an outline of the legislation and an interview with its author, Representative Mark J. Cusack of Braintree.

The Democrat said his bill respects the will of the voters while better protecting public health, public safety, and the best interests of the state.

ā€œThe voters voted to allow people 21 years of age and above to be able to access a regulated and safe marketplace. That is exactly what this bill does,ā€ he said in his State House office. ā€œThe ballot question is fundamentally flawed. It needs to be improved, and thatā€™s what this committeeā€™s charge has been ā€” to work through the different issues and come up with the best system possible for the consumer and the Commonwealth.ā€

The House bill wouldnā€™t change some basics of legalization. Adults 21 and over could still grow up to 12 marijuana plants per household. And they could still possess, use, and purchase the same limited amounts of marijuana. Under the bill, retail stores would still be on track to open in July of 2018.

But the tax on retail pot sales would be much higher.

The voter-passed initiative calls for a 3.75 percent state tax and 2 percent local option tax on pot sales, in addition to Massachusettsā€™ 6.25 percent sales tax. Thatā€™s 12 percent in total.

Under the House proposal, which is expected to be voted on and amended on Thursday, the total tax would be 28 percent. The math: 6.25 percent sales tax, a 16.75 percent state pot tax, and a mandatory 5 percent local tax that would go to city and town coffers.

Medical marijuana purchases would remain untaxed.

Current law says that if municipal officials want to stop a particular type of recreational establishment ā€” for example, marijuana cultivation facilities ā€” or all retail pot establishments, they must go to their voters. Local officials also need to hold a referendum if they want to sharply limit the number of marijuana shops in their jurisdiction. If a city has 100 retail stores that sell alcohol, for example, it will need to go to voters if it wants fewer than 20 marijuana retailers.

Under the House bill, local elected officials would have the ability to unilaterally limit or ban marijuana retails stores, cultivation facilities, testing hubs, and infused-product manufacturers (think marijuana cookies and candy).

The House is expected to pass some version of this bill Thursday and then send it to the Senate. That chamber will pass its own version of the legislation. The differences are set to be hashed out in a joint House-Senate conference committee. Legislators hope to send the final product to Governor Charlie Baker by the end of the month.

But the Houseā€™s push to more than double the tax rate sets up a tough battle with several entities.

For one, top senators have expressed deep reticence about increasing the pot tax, fearing that doing so would hamper efforts to kill the marijuana black market. After all, they say, some consumers are likely to buy the least expensive product, whether itā€™s from a dealer or a licensed store.

Senator Patricia D. Jehlen, who co-chairs the Joint Committee on Marijuana Policy, told the Globe in April that she is comfortable with the tax rate as it currently exists.

The Somerville Democrat said there ā€œmay be a little roomā€ for raising it, ā€œbut not a lotā€ because of concerns that people would continue to buy marijuana from the black market, or purchase it legally in states with a lower tax rate. (Maineā€™s total pot tax rate is set at 10 percent.)

Another opponent of more than doubling the pot tax rate could be Governor Charlie Baker, who won office in 2014 pledging not to raise taxes or fees. He remained circumspect on the issue Tuesday.

The November referendum set a January 2018 time frame for retail pot shops to open. But, in the quiet week after Christmas, with no public hearings and no formal public notice, lawmakers delayed the likely opening date for recreational marijuana stores in Massachusetts by half a year ā€” to July 2018.

They donā€™t call us Taxachusetts for nothing.

1 Like

28% These people are friggin crazy! @NTMAREMACH They canā€™t spend our tax dollars fast enough! Iā€™m sure another round of raises will be forthcoming!

2 Likes

28% Holy crap! The voters have spoken but as usual the govā€™t thinks weā€™re too stupid to know whatā€™s good for us. At least they arenā€™t taxing medical. Here in RI there is an additional tax at the dispensaries. I think itā€™s an additional 2.5%. But I can go get Rite Aid and get my Vicodin covered by Blue Cross with no extra tax. I keep telling my husband Iā€™m going to sue the govā€™t for discrimination.

3 Likes

Itā€™s idiotically hypocritical to have no sales tax on alcohol, but 28% on weed.

4 Likes

Exactly! It makes no sense. Maineā€™s gonna make a lot of money off ma residents then we can stop at the NH liquor stores! Awesome!

5 Likes

Figuresā€¦ we the peopleā€¦ vote for a change in the law and government officials think they passed it and can control the outcomeā€¦
Just remember the ones that pulled all this crap come next electionā€¦payback is a bitch!!! :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Say what?? Glad I grow and have a card but that only helps ME! This is crazy.

And then there is this

1 Like

The Jeff Sessions article baffles me. It really doesnā€™t make sense to me at all unless of course you are breaking bread with big pharmaā€¦ just sayinā€™ @Sl1

4 Likes

It doesnā€™t make sense at allā€¦I thought I read opiate use was down in states where Marijuana was legalā€¦

1 Like

Mass has a bad opiate problem though, at least in Attleboro n surrounding towns

1 Like