Your First Grow/Harvest

Yeah I definitely think it’s good to start cheap and get a feel for it before going crazy like me lol. There’s some cheaper options in the quantum boards but I struggle to remember which is which. @dbrn32 would be better to answer that question. I think you could cover a single plant for around $150 ish and it’s a good enough light you could always sell and get most your money back if you decide this isn’t for you. But I will let him say for sure. But by going that route you could just add more to it later if you keep growing rather than get a whole new light and the old one just collecting dust with a cheaper one. The cheap blurples don’t have as much resale value and they don’t have as good a life expectancy or warranty.

2 Likes

Aaaaah I see I see. Ok, well screw it. I’m going to continue on my path and I can always add more later, like you said. Thank you! I know i really gotta look into the quantum boards, but they scare me lol

2 Likes

They’re not that bad. And DB can recommend the ones to look at. But @GreenJewels and @blackthumbbetty and a few others have got them and put them together. They’re a couple of our lady growers that you should check out as well there’s more I’m just drawinga blank on spelling for others. They grow beautiful plants. But you can get them pre assembled for a few bucks more.

3 Likes

Yup building the strip lights is fairly simple. Sourcing parts can feel intimidating but with DB around its much easier. N putting it together is as simple as laying strips of tape. If you double ur spending range (~$200) im sure he could piece you a kick ass (and expandable) light

2 Likes

@DoobieNoobie

Happy Birthday My friend wow that year sure came and went lol

beer party bigtoke smileys-drinking-beer smoking-hookah

3 Likes

I’m not really sure about current pricing with tariffs and all the jazz to go with it. But I have a thread here where I built a light for around $100. And @MattyBear has a journal of a grow with it. I think it would be a little more expensive now, but I believe just about everything you need is in here.

4 Likes

Thanks buddy it really did fly by.

LOTS of really good info/advice from the gang to get you started/rolling.
Is your set up & your got seedling going, what strain are you growing?
Best of luck as you proceed forward.

2 Likes

I haven’t started yet, still gather info and supplies. I’m giong with a small tent, just one plant (blue cheese). I’m already familiar with hydroponics, so i’m excited to apply that to a new hobby here! Going DWC, and just a 600W LED (KingPro). And I’m just going to go basic with nutrients, fox trio, but later id like to get powder forms and make my own NPK doses. I’m still reading about pruning, training, and harvesting, so I don’t know what technique to start off with.

That sounds like a really good approach to this hobby, line up your ducks kinda thing.

Nothing wrong w that, its what I’m using w a few other supplements that I have been made aware of, as long as you dont over do it in the seed’s infancy you’ll be fine. PH & nuits are probably the most important & the ones that trip us up the most, myself included.

When you’re at that stage just tag the lot & everyone will guide you along what ever route you decide to follow, its fun!
Harvesting is wayyy (seemingly) in the future but you can address that when you get to that marijuana bridge :grin:

2 Likes

Hi everyone - I’m about to transfer my first 4 seedlings to their 5 gallon homes in their indoor tent - my question is I have FoxFarms Ocean Forest Soil and wanted to know if I need to mix in any perlite, coco fiber, etc.?
They should be ready in about a week or so. This forum is great.
Thank you for all your help
@garrigan62 @AAA @Skydiver

1 Like

I’ll chime in for @Skydiver, add 10-20% perlite, he puts that $hit on everything!

4 Likes

Dam it all
Beat me by a minute…
Except I didn’t add any to Roots Organic Original…that shits already in there lol

4 Likes

If you have some mychorrizae inoculant transplanting would be a perfect time to use it.

2 Likes

I would like to try that - is there a brand you recommend?

ravenchief

First, welcome to ILGM and to our community.
Sure you can add that if you want, but myself would add worm castings to the mix. You can’t use to much and your plants will love it. Keep us posted

2 Likes

Absolutely worm poo
How could I forget that
Thanks for the heads up Garrigan

1 Like

Many options out there
I use this

And some poo

And some perlite

Hope this helps and HAGD

1 Like

@Skydiver Thank you. I will use the perlite and worm castings when I mix up the soil. And the Mycorrhizae fungi when transplanting. I also purchased Bergmans nutrient pack from seed to harvest. I definitely do not want to over feed my plants do you have any recommendations for utilizing these nutrients in this soil? Cautions or suggestions?

Sorry I don’t use those nutrients.
I’m sure the directions will show how much to use and all.
Some others here may use or have used Bergmans Nutrient packs.

When mixing your FF Ocean forest with worm poo and perlite I would use maybe 2 scoops perlite and 2 scoops worm poo to 8 scoops ocean forest (a scoop is whatever measuring container you might have around) old pint or quart container etc. and put that in big tote or container to mix it all up real good. Just be aware the perlite is dusty and I will use a sprayer to wet it down as I go and also wet the mixture too as you mix enough to be moist …not too wet not too dry…
Once well mixed fill your 5 gallon up mildly compacting the soil some as you go …not too much just enough to keep from too much settling later on.
Leave a couple inches from top. When you transplant I would layer some of your seed starter mix on top of the Ocean Forrest as the seed starter mix doesn’t have as much nutrients so won’t burn seedling.
Then add some Mychorrizae where it will contact the roots when putting in seedling/dirt…and finish with some more seedling mix to finish filling hole.
Then water transplant with plain old Ph adjusted water.
Overwatering is usually one of the things new growers do so be aware. Start small maybe 2-300 ml and as they grow they will need more. You probably won’t need to start using the nutrient pack for around 6-8 weeks after transplanting.
Your plants will show you when they get hungry for water or nutrients.
You’ll probably need 2 bags of ocean forest 1.5 or 2 cubic sized to fill those 4 5 gallon pots.
They won’t need much light at the beginning but will want more as they get into veg state from seedling.

Hope this helps and good growing

2 Likes