Yield average

A question from a fellow grower:

I have 3 white widows I got them in flower one is 18 inches and still growing 3 week flowering and I got a 2ft 6 in plant in 2 weeks flowering is that about avarge and what do u think a yield average is.

Yield is determined by amount of light, proper nutrient regimen, and the environment provided throughout the grow. It takes time, patience and knowledge of your personal grow habits to determine your yield.

So; Read up, and make usre you do things right the 1st time. This will gain you invaluable information as to how to grow. Grow after grow; You will be able to increase your yield as you prove to yourself; Sound grow techniques. Peace :smiley:

1 Like

Yield is about how well you have used your square feet or develop your canopy, more than number of plants. Yield is most about the “grower’s talent” than just about anything else. There is no way to give you an estimate on your grow other than the expected yield for your strain in your square feet.

That being said, your plants are not trained very well for the use of the space and you can not expect the upper averages. Don’t worry, continue to learn and you will start to get phenomenal yields with some good training, pruning and SOG or ScrOG techniques.

From reading a bunch of other peoples grow logs (2 months of constant reading), I came to a rough conclusion that untrained plants can produce “ROUGHLY” 0.25g per watt of light if everything else (air flow, fresh air, nutrients, ph, etc) is near perfect.
Trained plants a little more than that , and heavily trained plants, like those in scrog can produce up to 0.5g per watt. For perfect scrog set ups, up to 1g per watt or slightly over 1g and for shitty scrogs about 0.5g per watt is the general rule I’ve observed.

These values are strain dependant as well but it is a good guide too know what to expect roughly. Read other peoples grows of the same strain and similar phenos, especially those that made a lot of mistakes during the grow to give you a rough average estimate. More plants won’t give you much more weight either because the more plants under a given light, the less each plant will carry, and the less plants under a given light, the more weight those plants would carry.

So to work it out, since your plants are not trained at all, a rough guide would be up to 1/4g for every 1 watt of lighting power. Take your lights wattage multiply that number by 1/4 to give you a rough average. (eg: if you using a 400w hps light (multiply by 1/4), then you could possibly get up to 100grams dry weight, (probably slightly less or more depending on strain and other factors in the grow.) For a 150w hps light you could get up to 37ish grams,…etc, etc.

Yeah…I kinda like that eric420, a good way to kinda “ball park it”(gets them close enough to be inside the ball park) for new growers, nice. Of course this holds truest for HID lights, as fluorescent and LED’s wattage does not directly translate into lumens/flux the same way. But as most other lights are often given a “HID watt” equivalent rating, it should still be useful to many people to give them a general idea about what to expect.

I do not always put a lot of stock inb cannabis forum grow logs. Many times the grower is unskilled or new, and provide bad habits, that you should not learn.

I also must add; I do not totally agree that training or topping provide more yierd than naturally grown plants. In fact; The 2 times I grew a plant that yielded a LB.; The only thing I did was break the stem below the Top Kola, and above the highest node beneath that Kola. The trick is; Use side lighting!

1 Like

I also recently read that a naturally growing plant would yield more than a modified plant which doesn’t really make sense to me practically as less bud sites would get full-on light unless you add side lighting as you said BUT if you added those side lighting to an existing srog hps light, your yield would then go up in a scrog as well, wouldn’t it?

Will probably try a side by side test in near future as a tall plant would have less canopy mess than scrog and be easier to work on.

I do agree that reading beginner grows could cause you to pick up bad mistakes but to find out a rough average of final yield, it is perfect because those mistakes make for an imperfect environment for the grow, which is what near all of us beginners will face so yields could possibly be similar, rather than reading up on expert 20 year growers logs and find you are yielding 1/4 of what they are. Most beginners don’t have the knowledge and equipment to try and duplicate an expert growers growing methods.

Ideally, an untrained, undamaged plant would yield the most for that plant with all other things being equal. However, this will not normally result in the highest yield per area or per watt. This is why Sea of Green is so bountiful. No significant training or pruning is required. However to maximize the yield for this person’s grow you can clearly see they are not making the most use of their space and these plants are kinda spindly and are not likely to yield at their higher potential.

I topped my plants at 2 nodes high what should I do next and was that too early

I generally do not top. I also would not top a plant with less than 4-5
nodes.

I have been yielding a pound and a half for a couple years now. I just did
a fruity pack and topped them. I got barely half as much yield. Over
manipulating your plants can drastically affect yield.

Happy growing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info this is my first grow but at least better knowledge for next time