Yellowing leaves. Nutes and nitrogen deficiency Affecting top budsites and preflower pistils

Hey all. First time grower here with ILGM autos as my first grow.

• ILGM auto seeds. 2 plants. Blueberry and amnesia haze. Day 31 since germinated and popped in soil

• Soil: fox farm ocean forest and perlite (70/30 split) in 3 gal smart pots

• Nutrients: Greenleaf nutrients MegaCrop (latest formula)

• 0.21 gallon solution of RO water + 1/2 teaspoon/gallon of megacrop @ 6.67 pH @ 426 ppm

• 2.5’x2.5’x6’ Indoor tent with Mars Hydro TS600W LED light

• Day 31 of grow and 1st full week of preflower stage with budsites forming

I just transitioned from vegetation to preflower with budsites forming (see pics below) and as of 3 days ago I noticed nutrient deficiencies for 2 days and tried to adjust my nutrients and increased megacrop from 1/4 tspn/gal to 1/2 tspn/gal. Seems to be helping 24 hours since my last water. However I’m noticing that the pistils of the top most bud sites are turning brown!! :grimacing:

Is there anything I can do now and will it completely hurt the output of buds? Open to any suggestions and changes. I initially waited 4 days to water but realized the plants are much more hungry now so I’m watering every two days (soil feels dry when I pickup the smart pots).

Many thanks!!

2 Likes

Did you mist the plants or get food filled water on those buds by chance? Looks like foliar feeding damage from spraying it will do that to the pistils.

1 Like

I am gonna suggest you check your ph in the root zone you could have a lockout due to loor ph. But let someone wlse with more experience take a look.

@jcbud I’m seeing new growth nice slightly lighter green than the surrounding growth. I’d prune those couple of leaves and keep on the schedule you been on. All new comes in slightly lighter. The pistils will start to change color and dry up and new ones will continue to pop up throughout the grow.

She looking good!

2 Likes

Thanks @anon89489555, I did not foliar feed the buds. I just watered straight into the soil. I wonder if my two feedings ago the pH was off! I adjusted my pH this time using 2 pH meters ($15 Vivosun PH & Apera pH60 pen), but weighed more towards the more expensive pH pens. I calibrated both pH pens and eventually got the Apera to 6.8 pH and the Vivosun to 6.5 pH, hopefully that range in between would hit the core nutes spectrum for soil

1 Like

thank you @ItsPat, so you think it’s ok to just pick off the bad leaves?

yes, new leaves look good which I’m thankful for. Ohhh, so it’s ok for the pistils to brown and dry up like the pics I posted? It’s mainly in the top budsite (which will be the main cola since I didn’t LST). Thank you so much!!! First grow, so I’m always questioning myself and doubting myself. Definitely learning a TON!

2 Likes

Oh yes. I just plucked this few that weren’t getting enough light so the plant was shutting them down.
The pistils will do that first on the main then the lower growth. Its very normal. If you can see the progression in other journals too.

1 Like

Any leaves or small braches thats nit getting light even after training i cut off so she doesnt waste time and resources on them

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the picture! Super helpful.

Do you have a grow journal that I can follow? I’m also on growdiaries https://growdiaries.com/grower/jcbud

1 Like

Ok thanks. For some reason I read somewhere that for autos safer to not defoliate. But in this case I will do so!

Hidden over here.

I used to post on growdiaries but there was some drama there that I didnt want part of.

Ur always gonna have mixed suggestions on what to do and nit do. Its up to u ti take the “risk” and learn somethjng that becomes ur way. People say u shouldnt do alot of thungs that others suggest u should do

2 Likes

Oh really. Sorry to hear. Thanks

For sure. Appreciate you keeping it real! Growing has been such a learning experience.

1 Like

Im still learning myself. U never stop learning. U become more comfortable with the plant and understand what it wants and each time try something more risky than the time before akd learn from mistakes

3 Likes

The 2 biggest things my first ever grow was getting watering down cause u think more is good then ur set back a week of growth and understanding the amount of actual watt per sq ft to be able to get dense buds. Especially with autoflowers u dont have time for set backs. Cuase every set backs gonna keep it small when it decides to flower so then isnt worth it

1 Like

For sure. I’m still figuring out my watering schedule and amount of water. just following the signs from the ladies, Dryness of soil from finger in soil test and lifting the smartpots to compare the weights.

1 Like

Hi I tend to overwater myself which is why I think I’ve lost a week in growth also. What is an ideal amount for 1-2week old seedlings?

When they are that young i just use a spray bottle and spray a little at the bottom of the stem. They literally dont need much at all or if u pour water try pouring a little on one side about 2 inches from stem and make the root search for it to expand

1 Like

When mine were 1–2week old I misted a 2” diameter around the plant on the top soil area. Much like what @appleyardjr267 is suggesting to do

2 Likes