Yellowing and dying lower leaves some red stems

Please help! I’m a first time grower. The lower leaves on all my plants are yellowing then shriveling up and dying. Also, a couple of my stems are red. They are indoor plants, by a very sunny and warm window, in fabric pots that I put outside during the day. I water with distilled water and use Fox Farm nutrients every other watering.

What kind of soil is it in? Seedlings don’t usually need any newts.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply!!! The brand is Espoma. It’s an organic potting mix with the following: sphagnum peat moss, perlite, earthworm castings, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, feather meal, yucca extract and Myco-tone, a blend of endo and e to mycorrhizae.

That soil already has lots of nutrients in it :green_heart:

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll stop the nutrients. Do you think that’s all that’s needed to recover these?

Idk… maybe use filtered tap water instead of distilled?
@Newt would know better than me

1 Like

I definitely only used distilled but they were out in the rain one time and got pretty wet. Would that do it?

I would think rain water is great for them

2 Likes

Yeah. I’d hold off on the nutrients for now. Distilled water should be fine, and I doubt the rain caused it. I think she is getting too much newts, especially Nitrogen.

2 Likes

:green_heart: outta likes but…

1 Like

Ok, thank you! Should I run more distilled through to rinse it a bit to help with recovery?

I wouldn’t. I think letting her ride is the correct move.

2 Likes

Disclaimer…
Old Hippie grower,1st grow this Century.
This is how she looked when I started the Bargman newts, 5% reduction in Forest farms ocean & worm castings 70/30 mix.

Yesterday…8th week since transplant.

Lost in the Sixties.

2 Likes

Ok, thank you so much!!! I love these babies & wanna um to live :relaxed:

2 Likes

I think it will be just fine. Good luck!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :blush:. Less is more when watering babies. Happy growing :blush::v:

2 Likes

@Mozy,
The seed leaves always dry up and fall off once the plant gets done making some real solar panels up top. That is normal. Even the first single blade leaf. You are good. @Newt is absolutely right you don’t want to fertilize that plant until it is more of a plant. The risk is fertilizer burning the plant. On a seedling that can kill it.

I might also humbly suggest starting to move it to the outside for a couple hours a day.I have Started plenty in the window, but once they get to the size of your plant, with a few sets of leaves, they definitely want more light. Even if they survive in the window, you will not be happy with the results a little lollipop size bud on a stick. Otherwise you’re looking great.

How often are you watering? Are you using a dome?