Yellowing Along Lower Leaf Edge

OG Kush Auto
Happy Frog + 15% coco
Fox Farms Trio + CalMag 1/2 strength every other watering

So I seem to be experiencing my first nutrient related issue whether it be burn or deficiency. I’m not sure which. I always PH my water and nutes, but I have not yet ph’d my soil, which I know is very valuable info for diagnosis purposes. My plant did very well through veg and early flower stretching so I’ve never been concerned with soil PH until now.

The yellowing occurs only along the edge of a few leaves, mostly lower leaves. It has not spread throughout the plant, although there does seem to be minuscule tip yellowing on a few other leaves. Still, the vast majority of leaves are so far unaffected and I’d like to keep it that way.

And here is a pic to show the burned leaves within a greater context.

Tonight after I’ve PH’d my soil I’ll provide that info. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2 Likes

Doesn’t really sound like your overfeeding.

Have you collected any run off water that comes out the bottom of the pot and checked it for ppm?

1 Like

@TDubWilly - I have not. I’ve put off buying more tools and equipment because money isn’t awesome right now. I have given it some thought, however, so I might be ordering a meter on amazon. Do you have any suggestions for a bang for your buck make and model?

1 Like

Put this in your soil

Swiser Soil PH Meter,3-in-1 Soil Test Kit for Moisture, Light & PH Test, Indoor/Outdoor Plant Care Soil Tester, for Home and Garden, Farm, Plants, Herbs & Gardening Tools-No Battery Needed

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QVFRL5G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lyhWCb4XK7NKK

And for testing fertilizer content

Poit Water Quality Digital TDS PPM Meter Tester, ATC/Measuring Temperature/Data Hold/Auto-off Function, Leather Carrying Case Included

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JM7GDDY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mAhWCbGY77ZCE

1 Like

@TDubWilly - Thanks!

Although I haven’t used it, I have used a similar one, the consensus is that the cheap 2 probe pH meters are no where near accurate enough to use for cannabis. One would be better off with drops, (which are also not accurate enough).
If you’re going to continue to grow cannabis you’ll need an accurate way to monitor pH. Do yourself a favor and budget a little more for a decent pH pen.
I used the apera pH20 for quite a while and was very happy with it.

4 Likes

I appreciate the recommendation, and I’m sure it’s a very accurate wonderful tool, but in the immediate future (next few months at least) I will not be in the market for a $200 device (tester + soil probe). Once I can afford something like that, however, I’ll be sure to pick it up. In the meanwhile, I’ll just have to muddle through with my digital water ph meter and the less accurate soil meters/test tube kits.

1 Like

But anyway, all this being said, does anyone have a suggestion as to what the edge yellowing is? It doesn’t seem to conform to any of the charts I’ve looked at online.

1 Like

In reality, any meter (ph, ppm, etc.) off amazon under 20 bucks should be considered a “piece”. What works right out of the box can soon become uncalibrated or stop working.

I have 6 ppm meters off of amazon and they all read different. :roll_eyes:

When money is low, you do what you can to get by then make upgrades as you go but DS is right, the meter is cheap. Do what you can to help yourself out when you can @Fool1977

2 Likes

Without knowing some of your numbers my answer is no.

It looks like it could be nutrient burn but so does what I have on my plant and it’s not nute burn at all

20190423_072944

I had some vapors get into my tent from a two part insulation that I installed that did this

1 Like

Is the bad area yellow or dead and crispy?

It’s not crispy, it’s still relatively soft/flexible despite being yellow. That being said, it’s starting to brown and I do think that plant material is dead.

1 Like

So do these reflect what your seeing on your plant?

1 Like

If it is a deficiency, my guess is it would be potassium which the plant needs allot of when it begins to flower and that’s exactly where your at…

This is just a guess based on the picture and if im right and it is a potassium deficiency it could be caused by any number of things… not just lack of potassium

It could still potentially be burn though.

You’ll need to troubleshoot the plant to find out

2 Likes

The top picture does not resemble what I’m seeing as there is no yellowing or fading anywhere beyond the very edge/tip. The leaves look perfectly healthy except on the edge and tip where they turn yellow/brown. The second pic looks a bit more like it, albeit nowhere near as severe. So far it’s only three leaves that exhibit edge yellowing with a handful of other leaves exhibiting just tip yellowing.

I feed so mildly, and no more than twice a week, that I have a hard time believing it’s nute burn. I’m more inclined to think my soil’s ph is a bit out of whack causing an inability to absorb a certain nutrient and so it’s robbing it from the leaves.

1 Like

I think the same

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. It’s given me a direction to go in. I’ll do my best to test my soil’s ph after work and go from there.

1 Like

I think you might have been looking at a different type of meter . Amazon has the Apera PH 20 for $49.00 and a good PPM meter can be had for less than that . I have used mine for over a year and has not failed yet . It’s the best investment I have made .

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOHN8/ref=twister_B078NPH1W3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think @MattyBear is also using another meter around the same price

1 Like

@Seeddog and @Drinkslinger - Thanks for the link. I’m definitely going to check those out more closely. I think what I was seeing is an Apera model that tests soil, but it requires a probe attachment that costs $$$.