I’m new to the forums as of a week or two ago, and I’m starting my first grow this week. I’ve mostly been lurking and catching up on some of the awesome grow journals that have been active this year, and I’m blown away by what some of the people on here have been able to accomplish.
Initially, my goal was to try to grow a single Blue Dream plant using a 5 gallon DWC. My goal is still to try to get one good Blue Dream plant grown using DWC, but since I’ve germinated a few extra seeds from a local dispensary, I figured I would grow a few plants in soil–space permitting. This is entirely an experiment to learn and even if I completely kill my plant without producing anything worthwhile, it’ll be a success in my eyes if I’m that much more prepared to nail it on the second try. (I expect a few raised eyebrows at my choice of DWC for the first grow, but I’m really interested in hydroponics and want to learn how to manage that sort of set up.)
- Tent: TopoGrow 32"x32"x63"
- Light: 600W LED included in kit above.
- Seeds: Blue Dream (ILGM), Mojave Green (Equilibrium Genetics), and Lemon Glue F2 (Equilibrium Genetics)
- Medium: Getting seeds started in these Jiffy pellets, then moving 1x to hydroton DWC, and the rest to FF Happy Frog with perlite.
- Air Pump: 15L/m ActiveAqua
- Air Stones: 2x 4x2" VIVOSUN Air Stones
- DWC Bucket: Hydrofarm Root Spa
- Fabric Pots: VIVOSUN 1 gal + 5 gal
- Nutes: Advanced Nutrients Grow, Micro, and Bloom, Hydroguard, Cal-Mag
- Meters: VIVOSUN pH and TDS
To catch everyone up on where I’m at now:
- 2020-09-04: Started germinating the Mojave Green and Lemon Glue from the local dispensary in a glass of tap water. (2x of each seed)
- 2020-09-05: Blue Dream seeds arrive (way ahead of schedule!) and I start germinating 2x in a glass of tap water.
- 2020-09-06: Moved all of the seeds to paper towels wet with tap water. By now, all of the seeds had cracked open.
- 2020-09-07: After 24 hours in the paper towel, I moved the seeds to the jiffy starters. Moistened the tray and lid, and am now leaving that in the tent under the light.
Here are some pictures:
Got a little dirt on that last root before taking the picture.
Now the tray is just resting on top of the DWC bucket with the lights on in the tent.
I’m using a cheap little Wyze cam to keep an eye on the temperatures. As you can see, California is going through an insane heat wave right now. This is the first day I’ve had the tent set up, but you can see the temperatures are out of control. I have no AC to provide, unfortunately.
So, we’ll see if I can get a few seedlings to pop up. I’m encouraged that 6 of 6 seeds had taproots coming out of them. The weather in California should be back to normal in the coming weeks as we look to move these plants to their permanent homes.
Please feel free to tag folks who may be able to answer some questions! I’ve seen some really awesome DWC set ups from a few folks, so I may tag some people in here in the future.