Yellow leaves near harvest

I am nearing harvest with a Blue Dream photo using seeds from ILGM. Time on this site says 8-10 weeks in flower, and I will be 10 weeks tomorrow…so I am right on time. Trichs are cloudy and 20% amber. Time to chop.

I base my harvest on the trichomes, not the leaves, but my question is about leaf discoloration near harvest.

This is the first BD I have grown, and the amount of yellowing on the leaves looks like a fall scene in the mountains. Most of the small fan leaves and sugar leaves on the colas are quite yellow, and some are brown tipped and a few are even semi-crispy on the tips. She look perfectly fine, but I have not seen other strains get this yellow at harvest time.

Is this leaf yellowing (nutes being depleted end of life) based on the BD genetics and this particular strain? Other photos I grew recently such as White Widow and Northern Lights may have looked a tinge yellow but nothing like this. Doesn’t change my harvest plans - just curious??

2 Likes

Your plant is consuming itself. It’s perfectly normal for your leaves to do that at this stage. It’s getting the nutrients from itself. Got a pic we can see? :+1::v::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I’ll take one this evening and post. Hope you’ll have time to check back.

1 Like

I’m always around :wink: I really don’t think anything is wrong. I just want to see a pic. :sunglasses::v::call_me_hand:

1 Like

I have had a couple of plants behave as you describe and I believe it’s just down to the individual plant. Never had success turning it around either; they just want to yellow.

3 Likes

She was beautiful all the way thru the grow so I am not too concerned since I’ll harvest this weekend. She is more yellow than any other plant or strain I have grown. This leads me to think it’s either strain or plant specific. Omg she is sticky and trichs
are perfect (just starting to Amber) to chop the weekend!!

2 Likes

Hi @Dman1969 and @Myfriendis410. Here are a few pics of the Blue Dream we are discussing.

The first 2 pics were 8 days ago as she entered week 9 of flower. Her buds were getting heavy and the colas were bowing a bit from the weight. The trichomes on the calyx are totally clear.

The next 2 pics are taken today as she is in week 10 of flower. Her trichs are cloudy and up to 20% amber so I’m getting ready to bring her on down. Look how quickly in just 8 days the leaves went from green to brown. I didnt change my feed schedule or anything…no flush to starve her.

Y’all probably remember Pom who mentored me around a year. I was taught not to flush unless toxicity from a salt buildup during the grow develops, but not to flush at harvest. Some agree, others don’t. I just fed and turned her lights off for 36 hours, then i’ll harvest Sat morn.

9%204%20a

2 Likes

Are you still giving nutes?

1 Like

I cut the nitrogen back slowly, then mostly out a few weeks ago. I continued to feed her Bud Candy and Overdrive but eliminated things like Cal-Mag several weeks ago. I was still feeding selected products, but not her entire nute line-up.

1 Like

I’m no expert only my 3rd grow. I was always told only water the last 2 weeks.
I think it’s just a little too much food. I think you’re good. :v::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Yeah, different schools of thought for sure. Those last 2 weeks can dramatically increase the bud size and bud weight, so at least some vital nutrients can help with weight gain. Things like Nitrogen and Cal-Mag can be eliminated w/o much harm.

I also fed this BD on the light side (entire grow) based on advice from @Not2SureYet. He is a great grower if you ever get a chance to chat with him.

This was my first Blue Dream, and I was totally surprised how quickly her leaves went from green to brown. 8 days is pretty quick for this to happen, but these are some real heavy buds.

@Myfriendis410 has been around the block a bunch of times, but I’m not sure how he feeds his last 2 weeks. Once he sees this, he may weigh in too.

1 Like

I think the plant is finishing up so it’s demand for P and K is going down and they got nute burn. You are so close now I’d be on water only and ready to chop.

2 Likes

I flipped lights off this evening and will chop Sat morning. I think all will be ok since she is ready to come down in 36 hours.

1 Like

She’s a pretty plant and ought to make you happy.

2 Likes

She looks great. You are probably seeing your leaves look a little extra hammered from stopping the cal mag. I have to run it all the way through. it will not hurt your plants at all. I cut back at 2 weeks with my BD as well. And as you can see. She looked just like yours :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I’m glad we could compare notes, @Not2SureYet. Your input certainly always helps, and to know we did the exact same things with a BD and got the same results gives me a great deal of confidence going forward.

As a “Pom” mentored grower, I knew upfront I wouldn’t be flushing prior to harvest. I also followed your advice and kept the nutes about 75% of the recommended level from Advanced Nutrients. I started weaning off Cal-Mag about a month ago and we clearly see the results…plus I scaled back the nutrient of 4-0-0 in their 3 part base to reduce the N level. All 3 bottles of their base have an N component, but I weaned back the 4-0-0 with 4 weeks to go along with the Cal-Mag.

I did all of this to reduce any potential over use and chemical harshness since I didn’t plan to flush. I pinched a larf bud, dried it under a fan and it was a smooth as if it had been properly cured. I’m very encouraged, @Not2SureYet, and thanks for your input during this grow!!

1 Like

I am glad to see yours came out so well. I am going to get another BD grown if it kills me lol I cut back on the cal about 2 weeks before I am done. I also back off the nutes a little since I only water the day before I chop. Doesn’t make any sense to me to quit feeding at a time they want it the most. So far. No one is complaining about what I grow.

1 Like