WW autos, growing, but it seems it's really slow. First time though

Hi there, first time grower here. Can’t even believe I’m doing this, a year ago I would have never touched marijuana thinking it was dangerous. Boy was I naive!

Anyhow, growing 2 white widow autos ATM, they’re both seedlings, one has grown its first set of leaves and starting its second, but those second leaves have tried to grow for the past 5-6 days and haven’t really moved (we have been limited on sun past few days where I am). I am outdoors as well.

Checked yesterday after a sunny day, seems to have a little growth. The second one I started later so it just had its cotyledons out, seems healthy!

Any advice or some ideas on what to expect would be great. This first one has been going for 2 weeks now. Added some pics of each for reference. They’re in 5-7gallon pots (I’m down under by the way)!

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain: white widow autoflower, from ilgm.

How many plants: currently working on 2

Age from Sprout and Flower: 2 weeks from sprout, for the first, about 5 days for the other.

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots: premium organic soil from local nursery, 5-7gallon sized pots and sitting outdoors. The first plant I transplanted from my mini indoor greenhouse where I sprouted it and let it grow in a nutrientless soil mix. I fed it some nutrients a few days ago, something high in nitrogen (a small amount), to see if it’s help, then about 3 days ago I moved it into the bigger pot and outdoor, doesn’t seem to have experienced shock, looks the same, second set of leaves look like they’re starting to slowly grow.

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so? I water daily, I check the soil of all my plants (I’m growing tones of veges too), then I lightly water everything, depends on the amount of sun for that day. Spending a lot of time in the garden, I don’t think I’ve over watered… I don’t think.

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir: unsure of this. I used a PH meter to check soil tho and it was around 6.5 or so.

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: na

Indoor or Outdoor: outdoor

Light system, size and height from plants: na

Temps; Day, Night: it was around 16-18 in day last week, 10-12 at night. Now it’s 20-28 day and 14-16 at night roughly.

Humidity; Day, Night: unsure

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: na

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: na

Co2; Na

Cheers!

6 Likes

@Tehj Welcome to ILGM

Have you downloaded the Grow Bible?

Congrats on the new grow! Let’s have you do a support ticket so we know what you are working with!

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

How many plants:

Age from Sprout and Flower:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

1 Like

Hey Bob,

I’ve read quite a few different things on the site and got a general idea on what needs to be done (the growing part at least, just not seeing much growth!).

How do I create a support ticket? Struggling to find
My way around the site!

Cheers!

1 Like

I pasted it into my post above just copy/ paste it into your post @Tehj

A support ticket just helps us understand where you are on your grow. I can usually spot the obvious problems in about 10 seconds of looking over a support ticket,

1 Like

Ahh, gotcha. You mean answer those questions, I thought there was a link to create a ticket :slight_smile: will do this momentarily!

1 Like

Updated that for you @bob31 hope that helped.

Just tagged you so you see this!

1 Like

@bob31 any luck? Haha its started growing today I can see the leaves getting bigger… I think it’s just because our weather has been so shit. Very little sun. This week there’s gonna be heaps so it should make a good difference?

ok sounds good. I missed the tag from yesterday, sorry about that @Tehj

Can you take a pic of your pH meter and post it for me? If it is a prong meter that you stick in the soil, those things are not really of any value. You need a pH meter for water. I’d post a link but I don’t know if your are in the US?

So the soil that you got from the nursery, does it have any nutrients in it that you know of? Do you have nutrients that you are going to feed them?

The little guy, 5 days old, is still in need of a higher humidity. They like it humid to get them going since all of their water is coming from their leaves until theydevelop their roots more.

The 5 day old might be helped by a dome for a few days. Spray the dome with the pH’d water and just cover the plant with the dome. When you water the 2 week old, water around the edge ofthe pot, so that the roots will seek out the moisture. At two weeks they will benefit from watering about every 3 days or so. Let that soil dry out between waterings. I use the lift test. Lift it when it is wet and lift it until it feels really light and then water again.

A dome can be made from a clear solo cup or a water bottle cut off. of something along those lines!

I will sort the little guy out with a dome! No problem.

It is a prong meter, so I guess it is useless! Haha. I’ll keep an eye on the water, there’s a lot of heat today and sun over the next few days so I’m expecting it to dry up very fast.

I’m not in the US, I’m in Aus, so it is summer here almost and hence the heat references. I am unfamiliar with ph’d water and what it means. Is tap water generally ok? Our water is supposed to be good for plants in general I think. Or distilled water is preferable?

The soil has nutrients. I’ve been growing lots of other vegetables in it. I suspect it’s organic and full of slow release nutrient.

I can feed them, I was expecting that I may need to once it hits the later stages, I read up on NPP and it wants more Phosphorus and Potassium later down the track whilst early on it wants nitrogen and lots of it (I have bought a liquid based food with lots of nitrogen. I diluted the hell out of it the first time when I fed the plant to mitigate chance of nuts burn).

@bob31 hope that helps… thanks heaps.

ok brother that does help. If that meter has the moisture gauge too, then that might be of some value.

So depending on the type of soil or grow medium the plants like the water to match the pH of the soil.

I’m not sure what pH your water is, but mine runs about 7.2 on a daily basis. The soil I use calls for 6.5 water.

If you r soil contains large amounts of peat moss or coco then that can make the pH more like 5.8

The reason we use those numbers is that is the optimum pH that allows the soil and the roots to uptake maximum nutrients. If the pH is off it will make the plants sick in a hurry.

In the US we use Amazon for most of our mail order needs. Is there a website like that I can look at for you and give you an example of what you need to buy?

I actually know another grower @aussie123556 that maybe will see this tag and let me know where she bought her pH meter.

And she can also talk to you about what is available to use as nutrients there.

@Tehj ummm it starts with an E an ends in a bAY not sure if am aloud to say their name…lol was 15 dollars australian for the 2

nice to meet you mate,your at the right site to learn all this stuff aswell is a great forum:slight_smile:slight_smile:

1 Like

Bunnings au - this is where we buy most things. I’m sure I can get some pH readers from here. I’ll go today and grab the equipment.

Nutrients, I just don’t know what and when to feed things in general. Haven’t learnt to read a plant based off certain signs yet. Still learning plenty!

Im trying to interact with it as little as possible and let it grow as naturally as possible, ultimately. I have a strong feeling the lack of sun has been the main issue, for now. Will see if there’s more growth today I suppose. There was yesterday! But only slightly.

@bob31 forgot to tag!

Seems like an awesome place, everyone is eager to help, which is awesome.

Yeahe bay, definitely an option, think bunnings have some stuff too, I’ll have a look. I didn’t realize it was so important to monitor pH levels. I find everything in my garden is growing just plain and simply. I give my veges water, good soil to grow in, sun (when the weather is happy) and boom they flourish! Haha.

@Tehj i was the same with common garden knowledge of outdoor cannibis mainly but have also found alot of info on this topic with ppl that have tried different things,the guy at my local grow store rekons he’d tried all the diff ranges in indoor coco with 50/50 perlite mixed in at 5.6,-6.2ph an he said he found 5.8-5.9 grew best,but then again i have found with alot of reading each strain is different an you wont know until you try an use the coco or soil ph ranges as a guide.i think if you wanted to get the very best outta your plant an each strain knowing what ph it likes would be a great advantage.sounds like you have great soil already,i use garden lime sprinkled in my vegie garden an that helps stablize the ph also,bunnings wont have any ph digital meters only the probe ones,which worked for me anyway,heard alot of ppl that they didn’t work for, :slight_smile:

When you say grow the best, what do you mean exactly? @aussie123556

For example, I’m growing purely to have access to something I know of and so I can have a reasonable amount to treat my ill dad, if he needs it, without feeding him product that I know little of it’s origin. That’s it. So in terms of yield, I don’t care too much. One plant is literally so much i won’t know what to do with, I will store it for the whole year and it will last (two of them definitely).

For me, I just want to ensure that the plant is healthy enough to produce me some bud that’s healthy, that’s it. At the same time, I need it semi stealthy as well. I don’t however want a massive plant screaming hey I’m here!!

I know little about pH ATM. What is perlite? Haha… I know so little! Garden lime is what you use to neutralize pH, get it to the right level? I think my soil is good, but yeah I haven’t touched it and tried to affect the pH… not yet. Bunnings has something that looked better than this prong, I will grab it this weekend and test it out if I see no progress.

@Tehj,sounds like you’ll be right if that’s all you want it for ,the very best would be the highest thc level you could get out of a plant, due to certain things changing during a grow,like ph dropping or raising to much may change the quality if it’s just recreation then dive in i say but yeah stealth is always good. :slight_smile:

Ahhh I see, so white widows autoflowering may prefer a particular pH and nutrient if your goal is maximum thc levels? Interesting… I personally am not too fussed for that at the moment. Perhaps later, this is my first time!

I just want to make sure it’s growing. There’s been some sun, I’ll monitor it this weekend and come back and leave a note if anything changes or gets bad.

Thanks heaps for your help both of you!

@Tehj Download the Marijuana Grow Bible
this link is for the ilgm grow bible,is on google,has a heap of great info for beginners like us an also experts aswell,is a great read if you havn’t seen it already,it might have a few helpfull tips for auto flowering also :slight_smile:

I got a copy sent to me but never came through! I’ll do it again, definitely going to have a read of it. Thanks a heap!

1 Like