Would you buy one of these?

Yesterday morning I received an email from my local grow supply shop that contained an advertisement for this product.

I laughed at this and thought, “Doesn’t everybody already have thumbnails attached to their thumbs?”
I guess this where we are at nowadays. Anything they can think of to convince us that we need to move dollars from our bank accounts to theirs. I think that, I miss the 1980s. At least back then, if someone was brave enough to give out grow advice it was because they loved growing weed. Also back then if someone was in for the money it was wise for them to keep their mouth shut as much as possible.
Yesterday afternoon I stopped by the grow shop for some replacement t5 bulbs. I couldn’t resist giving them a hard time about the ad for the thumb knife, and asked them doesn’t everyone have a thumbnail? The manager responded with the reply that I anticipated.
“Your thumbnail is hard to sanitize” he said.
I answered “I have been using my thumbnail to remove leaves for years, and I don’t believe that it has ever hurt a plant. But I do believe it has become all about the dollar”.
As I was walking past him on the way out the door. He gave me a quick nod to show his agreement with my statement.
So I have some questions for you good people.
1 Would you even consider buying one of these things?
2 Do you use your thumbnails to remove your leaves?
3 If you were concerned about dirty thumbnails, couldn’t you just wash your hand first?

4 Likes

Man by the time i finish digging in the dirt…scratching my behind and snot rocketing into 1 of the pots who cares…lmao. JK but I wouldnt give 6 bux for what my nails or scissors can do. Thats a half hallon of gas or a quart of milk soon…grin.

4 Likes

I would say that Is a great invention!! But wait for a limited time when you order.
Just like the Super Bass O Matic 76

1 Like

We used to buy leather thumbs to break ampules of chemicals in the lab.

1 Like

@JaneQP, One of my former customers was a water chemistry lab, and thus the company name was Water Chemistry. They always had a lot of cool things going on in there to check out. The late owner of the company was a great guy, and taught me a heck of a lot about water treatment.
@Storm, Funny, I thought that it was just me with an itchy butt and a snotty nose.

2 Likes

Grew MY RIGHT thumb, from my stomach in 1974. Surprised the SH… out of me.
Can’t pick buggers or un hook bra straps, anymore.
Surgery #21 and still, 4 pieces of reminiscent NAIL bed remain. Aggressive cutting, pulling, and multiple surgeries have had some effect. Best news of all, USN measured the thumb when I was 33 and said I MEASURED, somewhat in the gray area. Allowed to enlist and have 35YR canoe club membership certificate.
Short thumb will disqualify enlistment, who knew? Latest surgery 7/19 and the GD-4nail pieces are back, requiring manual cut out, weekly.

3 Likes

Ty for your service shipmate.

3 Likes

@DEEPDIVERDAVE, I would like to thank you for your service also, and I sincerely hope that I have not offended you here!
I too have a shortened digit due to a run in with a table saw a couple years ago. Also have a part of nail left here, but luckily it doesn’t cause any discomfort. On the plus side the end of this finger is halfway numb this was cool when I needed to check blood sugar for a short time, since it hurt very little on this finger. Also the wife has become very fond of this this near nailless finger because……….well there no nail there.

2 Likes