Would you all be interested ina Gardening board?

My tomatoes are hitting the 6-foot fence line and I don’t want them going over the fence into my neighbor’s yard because they’re kinda jerks

I was going to kind of trellis them along the top of the fence but if I top them what will happen ?

2 Likes

if you top them the pesky neighbors wont be eating green tomater fried lol Hammer

1 Like

…I think the obvious answer is to build a higher fence :smiley: @Hammer

But about the tomatoes I don’t think I’ve ever topped a tomato plant, I pull the sucker branches off sometimes but that’s about it

Will other shoots just continue to grow or will it bush out, and why is one plant called a bush tomato ?

I’ve got two kinds of plums, one is a Heinz Ketchup tomato plant that I bought as a gimmick

I will have my first ripe tomato buy middle or the end of this coming week, there’s some on the early girl turning red

when i built my shop i had a 988 loader cutting and rolling up the sluff into a pile 1 feet on my side of the line and 300 feet long and 18 ft high … the guy i hired to help,. kept saying things like you sure must not like them seeing you , finally after 3rd time ignoring him ,I said …I just don’t want to the see neighbors .and i didn’t care what they saw …:grinning::grin::smiling_imp:

2 Likes

i love em but let others grow them …the only time i messed with them …i kept hearing ,you gotta pull the sucker leaves …the next was what did you do to that poor dieing plant “AWEEK LATER” lol

2 Likes

ive grow MJ about 25 t years … and honestly cant tell you how many plants ive grown in that time …But to date ive grown 3 tomatoes or killed and de foliated i mean …but up till 3 years ago i grew a crossbreed of straw berrys …i crossed quinalts to tristar to an Alaska breed …end run result was a plant that was growing before the frost was gone …as soon as the spring sun hit them enough to melt the snow off id see young shoots a week later…they gave 3 bloom sets a season as to one or 2 at most per most varieties .and the berrys were ready when pale pink if you try to wait longer they fell off as to so soft and over ripe . we used to laugh at times cause it would smell like strawberry wine when you walked past ,if i didn’t pick regular…a 14x20 garden would yeld 5-6gallons a year plus eats …and our season is only 3 months grow out side …Alaska

2 Likes

I have topped tomato plants for years once they start getting very viney. It will cause the plant to make bigger fruit, but in smaller numbers. This is fine to me, I like a slice that covers my bread at least anyway! I also don’t believe in providing fresh maters to shitty neighbors!

4 Likes

Cool. It is not easy to grow good Strawberries I imagine even tougher with only 3 months. Bred your own Strawberry strain.

Audrey lll ? :evergreen_tree:

( live cam \ corpse flower about to bloom )

1 Like

I’ll be trying to pick a nute and see a pic of a garden and lol think oh yeah you CAN actually use it on garden lmao

I think I’ll make a nice tomato and mayo sandwich on toast. With salt and pepper

3 Likes

Those are one of my favorite sandwiches to eat!! I thought I was the only one lol @Jheezy

1 Like

Next you’ll be saying it ain’t the same without dukes mayo. Lol

Around here it’s Hellmans ! :thumbsup:

…and BLT’S! :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, don’t forget the bacon!

1 Like

Dam. Forgot to make my sandwich. Lol it’s on my to do list for today.

Home made pizza. Home made dough from scratch. Home made pizza sauce made from home grown tomatoes, basil, oregano. Home grown hot peppers on it with more tomatoes. Cheese and ranch are the only things I didn’t make or grow lol.

6 Likes

This is really cool. When I started preparing for my move there was a discussion on tomatoes. I love how it evolved to this idea.

Still on my tomato learning curve. I’ve been able to harvest about 20, but all really small. I believe I underestimated the term heavy feeder here.

Trying to get on top of the feeding again and starting to see a little improvement. My 5 year goal for this property involves producing all my own veggies and many of my fruits. Possibly chickens as I love fresh eggs. The rest of my meat will come from the woods and waters.

Sounds like a good plan. Hoping it works out better than most of my other plans! :grinning::grin::joy::sweat::cry::sob:

Lol :wink:

2 Likes

So glad you like the idea. I feel sharing produce cultivation ideas goes hand in hand with MMJ growing.

I feel kind of stupid because, when I started the Garden’s Corner, I was building a gravity feed self watering gutter system, and before I got it finished, some damn rabbits ate my plants. Then it was just too hot. I managed to slavage some mater plants but, they won’t hold flowers until it cools down.

I plan on starting some heirloom and pepper plants for a fall to New years grow. Running out of time. Better get going…LOL :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My garden has produced so much that I’ve opened a stand on the road for my produce lol

I’ve made $100 in 2 weeks. It’s ridiculous. So many tomatoes!

5 Likes