Would love to get any advice I can on my 1st grow

I have an affordable $15 special one off of amazon. The single most important factor is finding a ph pen that you can calibrate. Usually comes with 3 solutions for calibrating, you also can order more. Ph 9- ph 7- and ph 4. @Drinkslinger

2 Likes

i am reading your posts. when you say first indoor grow does this mean you have grown outdoors? or first grow ever? 12 pounds a year? did you download the grow bible?

Hello. Yes, I’ve grown outdoors before. 12lbs is just a would like guesstimate. I’m going to be a caregiver to 5 others and myself. Outdoor crop used to be more than enough once a year, but now it’s changing.No, I have not downloaded the grower’s Bible, but would like to.

2 Likes

you got this!

2 Likes

Since this has lingered for a bit…

Picture 3 styles of electric light:

A 1000w HPS bulb, no reflector

A single quantum board like the 650

And a strip-style array like the Fluence Spydr 2i

Imagine they all cover the same size flowering canopy at 5’ x 5’

The HPS is a single point source light. If you hung it 24” from the canopy dead center in the middle of the tent, it would be much closer to the flowers directly under it (24”) than the flowers at the edge (38”). Yes, there would be reflection off the walls, but direct light is better.

Imagine the QB 650. It has a lot of tiny LED chips. Probably hundreds of point sources of light. The board is still only 30” x 22”, which means it has a better spread than the HPS, but it will still be much closer to the buds directly under it than the buds at the edge of the tent.

Because of a principle called the Inverse Square Law, distance diminishes light strength dramatically. In order to have a very even coverage, the first two designs raise the lights up so that the relative disparity between the closest and furthest part of the canopy is closer.

The strip style PCB lights like the SPYDR line splay they boards and chips out over a much bigger area. That means the entire canopy gets covered in a more even light. The lights can also be closer to the canopy, which again going back to the Inverse Square Law, means that you’re getting a more intense light, watt per watt compared to the first two lights.

So when you run two 260s you can spread them out from each other, hang them lower, and get more yield per watt.

1 Like

I was curious, when you say spread them out, how many I inches are we talking?

Based on my explanation, and knowing your canopy size/light resources, where do you think the lights should be placed relative to each other and the canopy perimeter?

Just get your self a couple of mars hydro and u will be fine