Would love to get any advice I can on my 1st grow

Seen tag, happy to help. I think this is good question to answer right now…

2 Likes

I’ve found that 600watt mh and hps globes set up in cooltubes allows you to vent the most of your hot air away from your grow with 2 fans circulating the air and blowing across your plants to make them more robust @JCruz

I do agree with this mostly but aside from spider farmer and hlg and all the other name brands king plus is actually a decent led light for the price.

I tried replying back to this yesterday, but I got a message that said I was only allowed so many replies in a day.lol. I tried again just now, but it 51mins.lol

I want to keep it all under $2,000. I already have most everything ( I think) just need my lights, another ocolating fan, pots, soil, ppm, and Ph meters. I would like at least 4lbs every trimester. I have no experience putting together light kits, but would like to attempt those HLG kits. How much is involved with that?

2 Likes

They are pretty easy there are utube videos on it too. It took me about 30 or 40 minutes I love my hlg lights.

1 Like

Assembling HLG kits is about as hard as changing a computer hard drive. You’ll need to strip wires, but honestly that’s extremely easy with an inexpensive tool.

If you have 2k to spend on lights you should look at (4) of these:

You might also consider the 320w version here, but I think it’s excessive. @dbrn32 could speak to that. If you REALLY want to push the plants, the extra watts might
get you some extra weight. Probably not cost effective though:

4 lbs every 4 months is a lot of cannabis and a lot of work. It’s also hard to explain, if you’re in a less-than-legal situation…

4 Likes

My wife and I also started our our first grow recently. We could not decide on a led light to save our life haha. Im glad I found this forum, because with the help of @dbrn32, @MrPeat, and some other awesome people we went with the HLG 260 XL Rspec! It took me about 45 minutes to assemble and it was my first time doing anything like that! Basically what I’m saying is dont let the assembly part scare you!

3 Likes

You’ll have a lot more difficult time getting 12 pounds a year out of a 4x8 than building the lights. Not impossible though.

3 Likes

Don’t fool yourself.

Not from what I see, seems like they’re no different from the other Chinese light companies that use deception to fool people into buying their lights. Let see:

Throw a number in the name so people think it’s something it’s not

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Spectrum-Greenhouse-Indoor-Flower/dp/B0185OLBPK?th=1

There’s nothing 1000w about this light, they want you to think it’s 1000 watts - it’s not, it’s 185 watts.

They also say this:

-Replaces a 600 watt HPS/MH

No, it would be a very poor replacement for a 600 watt HPS. A 600 watt HPS would grow rings around it.

Lies and marketing BS, not the signs of a good company or product.

6 Likes

I noticed the HGL 550 had a 3 year warranty Vs doing 4 of 260’s which has a 1 year warranty. Is there any advantage of me doing the 260’s over the 550’?

Coverage will be a little better with the 260 kits and will be cheaper. They all use same components too. So only difference in warranty is their assembly vs your assembly.

4 Likes

Yeah I was debating between 2 260’s vs the 550 for the flowering tent, I went for the 550 partly because of the 3 year warranty, and because it’s a sexy beast in red. Then a few days later I bought a 260 b spec for my veg tent. Very impressed with both lights and the 260 kit was so easy to put together. Can’t go wrong either way.

2 Likes

I was curious, you said the coverage would be better with the 260’s. Could you explain it to me? I’m leaning towards that way.

I was curious what PH and ppm/tds meters you recommend ?

I’ve had good luck with Apera meters. I’m currently using the ph-60.

I’ve had one ppm meter for ever. The hm com-100

2 Likes

What should I expect to pay for each one of those?

The apera ph-60 is about $80.
The hm com 100 is $45-50

But the apera ph-20 is almost as good for $45. No replaceable probe though.

There are other meters. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

@Myfriendis410 @shindig153 @Covertgrower @Missiles

2 Likes

I have the apera 20 myself

2 Likes

I went for the Bluelab.

3 Likes

I have the apera ph-60 as well.

I have a cheap amazon ppm meter. Going on three years and it still works fine.

1 Like