Worms as root rot prevention and treatment?

Thank You for the info. I will definitely look into this next grow. :blush::v:

3 Likes

Np good luck growmies!

2 Likes

Worms are a great addition to any outdoor organic garden grow. They are little amazing creatures that can add so much positive ‘aspects’ to a garden.
Example….

We do a lasagna style gardening. Starting with a basic nutrias soil blend. We then add are dry amendments and such to achieve the overall base quality we are looking for. When May rolls around we lay down our cover crop. This consists of a soil building blend of Many different grasses ect.

Once June rolls around we chop it down and add a nice 4 inch layer of organic straw. This will help choke out the cover crop and start creating a nice green mulch layer.

Here comes the worms…. The next step is the worms. Oh ya baby the worms! We like to add about 50+ to each 100 gallon grow bag. These little guys do amazing things. Although the plants aren’t in the ground for a few weeks it is very important to constantly keep your soil moist. Tend to your soil not the plant.

• The first thing the worms do is airrate the soil. They do this by crawling around underground creating little channels of air pockets. This allows the roots to breath better. It always allows for better soil drainage. Sometimes helping prevent root rot.

• The second thing these little critters do it help with nutrients transportation. A worm will make its was to the surface, munch on some decaying nitrogen source, return to his home underground and poop it out. This resulting in nutrition rich worm castings. This sucks up by the roots.

*Worms help in creating a food web of healthy/good bacteria underground. This includes many little critters all working together.

Both of these things help creat a healthy and thriving plant. The healthier the plant the easier it is to fight of any attacking unwanted pests. Basically if your plant is as healthy as it can be and the food web is in perfect harmony within the garden everything should work out.
Plants are simply amazing…

2 Likes

@spudeater65 do you put anything in your pots to feed the worms? How many would you recommend in a 17.5 gallon pot? Just want to improve my soil a little bit for my next grow.

2 Likes

Where do you get the worms?

1 Like

Uncle Jim’s worm farm online.

1 Like

@Flitme Amazon has them but I made a “worm trap” in my back yard to get them from. We have a lot of compacted clay so I dug about a 10" deep by 5’ “trench” and loosened up the soil. The worms seem to like it because they get in the loose soil and stay there. I’ve got about 4-5 dozen in just a few days just turning it over in the mornings. I have a 30 gallon tote on my deck filled with kitchen scraps and good potting soil to keep them in.

2 Likes

@HippieRunner1 Thanks brother I’ll look there too. My back hurts! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I have 5 gallon fabfic pots I put 13 red worms in each pot added oatmeal used coffee grounds DK how long they lived
@fiz @fitme

2 Likes

I went to walmart @Flitme @MidwestGuy @MidwestGuy @HippieRunner1 if i was able I would go outbback after this rain fill up a coffee can with worms

2 Likes

The reason I asked is we haven’t had any rain in so long the worms are no where to be found. Other wise I would go out back and dig some up. I didn’t know that Walmart had worms! :thinking: :grinning: :v:

1 Like

Natural ways to collect and use growing/gardening supplies are definitely the way to go. At the start of each season we collect a huge tub of humus for our teas out in the forest. Gives me alittle somthing extra to do while we are camping.

1 Like

I got mine online was about 40 bucks for a pound

1 Like