Worms as root rot prevention and treatment?

Got a good buzz going and had the thought of using worms in my 7gal and 10gal pots as root rot prevention. Now hear me out on this lol, since worms eat decaying matter and bacteria wouldnt worms help the prevention of bad bacteria from attacking your roots and spreading? Let me know what you guys think cheers!

2 Likes

I always use worms in my pots but not for root rot prevention to help break down the nutrients i put in my soil

2 Likes

Theoretically it sounds like it would work

2 Likes

Here’s what I could find @Mikeygbaby1234 @Aussie_autos

4 Likes

Awesome bud ty def gonna try it out now.

1 Like

I think I might too :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Thats very interesting i only ever put the worms in to give food to my plants and to break down food for my plants i never knew that information thanks for sharing that @Se7en

3 Likes

@Aussie_autos no worries at all brother! It’s amazing what we learn here lol, everything about growing any plants I’ve solely learned from this site :pray:t2: Love it here

2 Likes

Bud rot can also be caused by (bad) fungi in the soil. The best way to ensure bud rot doesn’t become a problem is to avoid overwatering and giving your soil wet/dry cycles. It also helps with oxygen in the root area.

A microbe product is an easy way to break down nutrients and increase nutrient uptake. Be careful though. Too much of it can dramatically increase uptake and contribute to nute burn. Microbes work by those good bacteria consuming and breaking down nutrients into a more usable form by the plant much the same way that worms do.

6 Likes

Red worms, nightcrawers, minnows dead with the water go into the soil. Worms may live a little while. When I took 3 5 gallon fabric pots which had over 12 red worms :worm: in each pot. To mix in new soil, perlite, recharge, more worm poop The plants took them “FeedMe” Explosivxe growth no worms seen
@Aussie_autos @MidwestGuy @Se7en @Mikeygbaby1234 So after a rain go out in the backyard w/a coffee can and a red flashlight, get some nightcrawlers

4 Likes

I always use worms in my pots brother i always have and i will keep doing it i put about 40 worms in each pot when i do it

5 Likes

Does it actually make noticeable changes?

2 Likes

Heck yes the girls eat them up like girls eat carbs. They love worms. Live meat. They tripled in size mine did.mine

4 Likes

That’s wicked I think I may have to try this! I been thinking about adding live predators like lady bugs aswell for bug clearance :rofl:

3 Likes

Springtails will consume rotting organic material.

3 Likes

The worms live in the pots? They don’t try to slither out of the pots. I’m curious about this. Might need to try it. :blush::v:

1 Like

I have some red wigglers on hand but didnt think they would survive long in there was gonna go in back yard and dig some up or u think a specific breed is in order?

2 Likes

Yup yup just throw them in, if youbput a light on them theyll dive down. im trying to convert to completly organic and produce all my amendments all at the house.

3 Likes

They dont live long. Why? DK but all that goodness. Oh My!

3 Likes

Little red worms may survive. I never dug down to feel for worms :worm:

3 Likes