Worm farm/worm castings

I was given a worm farm today from a neighbor who used the castings in her vegtables gardens. I have two 30 gallon containers full of worms and soil. She told me that she would move the worms to new soil every couple of months and use the old in her vegtable beds.
I am a new grower and I use soil, so I’m just curious if there is a right or wrong way to incorporate using this for my future grows, or should it it just be used for vegtables? My neighbor instructed me on how to feed them and how to apply the castings in the garden, but shes not 420 friendly so i couldnt ask her much more. I’ve read a few threads about super soils and such, and while it sounds interesting, I’m not quite ready for that yet. Could i find a way to use this with bagged soil? Would it add any benefits?Thanks!

1 Like

Quality worm castings are key when building your own soil. You can also use the castings to make teas.
I’m just about to jump on the vermiculite wagon. I’m sick of buying so-so castings.

1 Like

Oops. Stupid phone changed vermiculture to vermiculite :rofl::joy::rofl:

Lol ok. I looked it up and I wasn’t making the connection, and didn’t want to feel stupid asking. It looks really cool, and since it was given to me, I might as well see what I can make of it. I grow my own vegtables as well and that’s kind of how I’ve approached growing weed. If it fails to assist my weed grow, I’ll find a use for it in my vegtables.

1 Like

Yep! I use African Red Wrigglers to eat table scraps and to break down mulch in my gardens and greenhouse! We keep a bin under the sink too. The castings can be mixed in with soil or simply broadcast on the surface and watered through. The can be used to enhance a compost pile also. The worm drainage, brown liquid, can be strained through a coffee filter and mixed sparingly with water to use directly on plants. Abd the castings can be used in teas with an air bubbler. You cant go too far wrong with worm shit!

1 Like

I had no idea! I knew worms were good but was not aware of how beneficial. The ones I aquired are red wigglers as well. I was looking at different vermiculture techniques last night and I’m going to build a new box that allows me to collect the drainage as well. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

I use worm poo all the time…anything that grows will benefit from using them.
I usually add ~ 10-15% Of total mix with worm poo in my soil mix.
And as posted will top dress some too from time to time. Is also a great soil amendment when reusing soil again and for making compost teas.
If you generate more scraps than the worms can eat toss them in a Compost pile Outside. I never throw away anything in the trash that can turn into compost as I paid for it so why throw it away!

3 Likes

Remember to sift the eggs and baby worms out! They multiply quickly!

1 Like

Worm casting are kick ass.

1 Like