Worm Castings and seedlings

Are worm castings too hot for seedlings? I did a 1 to 5 ratio worm castings and organic soil.

2 Likes

Worm castings are great for your plants so long as you don’t over do it and cause drainage issues.

Happy anniversary @Dman1969

1 Like

So do you think 1 to 5 mix is ok?

2 Likes

I think so, would not go any more. I usually go around 20% as you have done and have good results.

1 Like

Awesome thanks brother. Have you ever had a seedling stall for 2 1/2 weeks? I’m kinda getting worried :worried:

1 Like

As they establish their root system, you will often see them slowing above ground for a bit. If they look good and are not stretching toward the light too much, I would not be worried. Post a photo…natural light if possible.

1 Like

400 watt mh light not enough natural light.

2 Likes

What you are likely experiencing is root growth. When you start them in a large container it takes a while for the roots to spread out. Also, it is very easy to over and under water when they start in a large container. MH is natural enough - not purple LOL. Your humidity is a bit low, you should put a dome over it for it’s first two weeks or so. I shoot for ~60% +/- during seedling stage. Temperature is perfect.

What is your soil? you should water in a ring about 4" outside the plant until it gets established.
In future, I might recommend starting in a small container (solo cup or similar) and potting up to, say 1 gal, then to final pot. When the plant growth reaches the outside of the container it is time to transplant.

2 Likes

My soil is organic and I only added worm castings. I’ve been watering with 6.5 ph water and 250 ppm not sure about the ppm thing just yet. I use a pump up sprayer and been watering the outer edges more than the plant. It seems like this soil is sucking the water up as quick as I do it.

2 Likes

That is the problem with the large pot when they are seedlings. Difficult to maintain the proper soil moisture conditions. You will be fine, just let the plant inform your watering schedule.

1 Like

1 Like

You may want to dig a little to insure that the soil around the seedling is not too dry. This is not the usual error (mostly too wet) but the soil moisture must be correct for the little seedling to thrive.

1 Like

I’m kinda leaning tward dry I put my finger up to my second knuckle and it was barely sticking to my finger. I’m only putting a few ozs of water at a time

1 Like

A few tips:
Don’t water close to the stem. At this early age, it could weaken the stem.
Water just outside an imaginary perimeter created by the leaves. At this early stage, just a few spritzes of water twice a day should do.

Cover your seedlings with a humidity dome. A 2 liter soda pop bottle with the top portion cut off and turned upside down works very well.

4 Likes

I can’t tell in your pics but do I need holes in the dome?

Nope. You want maximize the amount of moisture in the container, and minimize the potential for escape to the atmosphere. They will get plenty of air exchange every time you lift it off to water the plants, so no need to worry about that.
Oh - I also like to spritz the inside of the dome with a little bit of water every time I water the plants, just to keep it as humid as possible at that stage.

2 Likes

Thanks again brother :v::call_me_hand:

@WickedAle Thanks Brother :v::sunglasses::call_me_hand:

Happy Anniversary!

1 Like

@dbrn32 Thanks Brother :sunglasses::call_me_hand::v:

1 Like