This is my second grow and my first sativa, so I’m looking forward to these plants (and this community) teaching me a thing or three!
- Strain: ILGM Maui Wowie
- Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest
- Pots: Final homes will be 5-gallon fabric SmartPots. The seeds are germinated in Rapid Rooters which are placed in solo cups with Espoma Organic Seed Starter - with a bit of extra perlite and mycorrhizal added, to get things going.
- Indoor 2’ x 4’ x 5’ Vivosun growtent.
- Ventilation: Vivosun 4” inline fan for extraction from the roof, with passive intake.
- Lighting: Two 135w v.2 quantum boards (though when they’re little, I’ll just use one of these).
- Water/Nutes: I will be using RO water and Fox Farms nutes (though with Ocean Forest, I’ve found that it’s hot enough that the plants don’t generally need nutes during veg. In the seedling stage, I’m using distilled water.). I’ll also be supplementing with Photosynthesis Plus.
- Temps: I’ll be keeping this grow a bit warmer than usual, until someone schools me otherwise. Right now the seedlings are between 80F and 83F (with a heating pad on a thermostat set to 80* under them).
Humidity: I don’t have a humidifier in my tent. I hang damp towels, and place bowls of water in the tent to keep humidity up. Right now the seedlings are in a dome, so they are at 63-73%RH. I have a dehumidifier in the area that the grow tent is in, to use during flower.
I dropped two seeds on December 28th. (So far I’m 8 for 8 on ILGM seeds popping!)
I soaked them for 24 hours, and decided not to use paper towels this time. I saw that the seeds were splitting at the seams, so I just popped them in Rapid Rooters, to let them sprout and grow from there.
I covered the holes of the Rapid Rooters with just a wee bit of Seed Starter mix, and gave this a few drops of water.
Two days later, on New Year’s Day, up popped my little girls!
January 1, 2019
I grow the seedlings in clear solo cups (with tons of holes punched in the sides and bottom) so that I can see their root development when they are bigger, to better plan for transplanting them. But since these roots don’t want to be exposed to the light, I put the clear solo cups inside red solo cups (without holes). This way I can use the red cups to catch any runoff from watering. Eventually, these will get transplanted into 5-gallon fabric SmartPots.
And so the grow begins!..