With so many choices of soil

IL be using [Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula But I’m having a hard time triing to figure out what soil I should use I’d like to use organic but want to make sure its the right kind. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to which one beside’s the fox farm soil?

Why not run a ff soil?

1 Like

I was hoping for soil thats somewhat cheaper HornHead.what about Black Gold 1302040 8-Quart All Organic Potting Soil https://www.amazon.com/Black-Gold-1302040-8-Quart-Organic/dp/B004OVUM40/ref=sxts_b2b_ccp_search_reorder?keywords=potting+soil&pd_rd_i=B004OVUM40&pd_rd_r=a6124b73-3a3d-455e-a92d-fe2734a89327&pd_rd_w=PO0yz&pd_rd_wg=mQaDE&pf_rd_p=a7bfb983-e674-4caa-917b-596cc469ad1f&pf_rd_r=4XXAVZXE330ZNHWTJ8FZ&qid=1561302428&s=gateway

I don’t grow in soil so not positive. Just as long as it doesn’t have time released nutrients you should be good

If you’re using the ff trio of nutes, don’t worry about the soil being organic. The nutes aren’t so it’d be pointless.

Ffof is an easily found and easily used soil. It’s a little pricey at first, but I think it’s ease of use and convenience make up for that. I put a layer of ffof on the bottom of the final container and then fill with ff happy frog. The happy frog is a bit cheaper, and not as nutrient rich. It clumps up a bit more than of, but tender plants acclimate better to it. Either way most plants need nothing but water for the first month. Then perhaps cal mag in month 2. Most don’t need nutes until just before flower.

If you’re still looking cheaper listen to the advice give. As hornhead said, avoid soils with time release fertilizers.

3 Likes

will do and thank you Drinkslinger

Thank you HornHead.

Cheep in, cheep out! Just saying!

1 Like

This is a very good choice, been using for my last four grows. Reasonably priced at my local HD for about $14. Very conducive for cannabis growing not as hot as most garden center products.

1 Like

Thanks Dunnitagain, but I already purchased the soil witch was something I’ve used before

Black Gold 1302040 8-Quart All Organic Potting Soil after checking out the PROMIX lline it seem like something I might try later.

Very true Autiofreak which is why * got something in the mid range*

Have been researching soils and came across Miracle grow African violet potting mix. Has listed npk of 18/6/12 with a ph of 6.0-6.8. what are the major drawbacks of using this for an indoor grow with auto flower white widow?

Replying to a couple of comments here.

Miracle Grow has time released nutes and is, in general, not good for cannabis. A lot of folks who try to grow in Miracle Grow products experience problems. Use the search feature here to read some of their experiences with Miracle Grow. I don’t know any veteran growers who would recommend it.

The second comment is opinion. I use FF Happy Frog because it is less hot than Ocean Forest. Some folks here use OF and swear by it, but we also see more than just a few growers who post with problems growing in OF. The PPMs that exist in OF are pretty high. If you grow in OF then I’d recommend a layered approach where you layer OF and a less hot soil where OF is used during the last transplant when higher PPMs are more well-tolerated.

There is a drawing floating around the threads that show what I am talking about (the layered approach.) I’ll post it here if I can find it.

Found it:

Thanks fixer for the mg info. Have always grown outdoors in my greenhouse with great success. Am trying my first indoor grow and was curious about mg soils, May just go ahead and use some of my soil mixture from my greenhouse. It is a topsoil, compost, perlite,spaghum moss and worm casting mix. my sativas last year grew to about 7 and a half foot and were loaded with buds. Good quality for being donated seeds. Am trying ww auto indoors in a grow tent for first time.

2 Likes

currently using black gold (organic the moisture lock blend with coco)amended with burpee 4-4-4 i did half directed so only 1 cup for 2 cu ft of soil . approx day 38 or 40 . 1 has small nute burn but i been feeding composte tea as well. my next run has some natures own concentrated supersoil (specifically for autoflowers it said)as directed 1 lb to 1/3 of bottom of 5 gallon pot same black gold …then fill pot rest way black gold . have 1 start a few days old in 1 of the pots i amended 5 that way but had bad germ rates awaiting replacements . will keep u posted . here’s pics pls don’t shame me for the over manipulation on these it is my first grow and i was trying different techniques i saw on internet …will definitely leave them alone more next run.

2 Likes