Winter auto grow?

I grew some great outdoor autos this past summer (southern Australia) and wondered if I could do the same in my greenhouse this winter. I can’t heat the greenhouse, but if I used a heated hydroponic system, would they grow ok? Winters here are cold but never go below freezing & we still get a fairly good amount of sunlight. Is air temperature critical if the roots are kept warm?

2 Likes

Welcome to ILGM forum. I have no practical experience of growing outdoors, so can’t absolutely say that it’s not possible. But based on everything I’ve seen on forum air temperatures definitely matters. If they dip into the 50s Fahrenheit or lower on a consistent basis at the very least it can stunt growth or worse. Being in a greenhouse at least you won’t have to worry about frost. I’m going to tag some people with more experience that can give you a more definitive answer. @Hellraiser @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @MidwestGuy

1 Like

Processes within the plant slow down with a drop in temperature. I think it’s very doable but the OP will have to do a little tinkering to get his environment optimized.

2 Likes

Probably grow slower with cold air temps but if you can keep the root temps warm enough, it may work, worth a try anyway.

1 Like

Thanks, @Bulldognuts. I’ve not done an outdoor grow for many years and can’t be of much help.

From what I understand about hydro (I’ve never had a hydro grow) you will need to be careful about running your temps warmer to overcome the temp problem because warmer water temps invite algae and other nasty things in your system. I suppose it would require changing your water out more frequently, but I’m far from the hydro expert.

1 Like

As long as get a chiller, you’ll be fine. @MidwestGuy

Warm roots will give you stunted plants, I grew in a shed once…
I would suggest to put seedling warming pads under the pots, or find another equivalent to keep them warm.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback folks, some food for thought while I wait for my GSC auto seeds to arrive.