Will this work?

I use perlite 3 to 1 with agricultural grade vermiculite (very coarse, doesn’t clog) and get healthy root systems, I would use 100% perlite but a pump failure would be devastating! The vermiculite is a safety buffer.

1 Like

@WickedAle your a hydro grower right?

Perfect setup. For your lighting and plants of weed for yourself. Don’t be afraid to treat your autos like photos with topping, training etc. You will find they handle it quite well in DWC with adequate lighting. Mine took 11 weeks to start flowering.

Yes I am in 5gal DWC buckets.

1 Like

@WickedAle what’s your recipe?

8mlM/16mlB/gal GH Flora (true Lucas formula). Use 10 ml/5gal ArmorSl during first 6 weeks of flower. I rarely have to adjust the pH.

@Shatter did you see this thread. They were growing in 100% perlite:

@WickedAle @Shatter do you guys recommend another grow medium? The reason I’m leaning towards Rockwool is it’s square and will easily stand straight

I’m going to move to rapid rooters or root riot for my next grow. I will not grow in rockwool again. just get yourself some hydroton. I got a shoebox full from flea bay for $5. it will last me a long time since I reuse it.

@WickedAle will rapid rooters stand straight? I’ve been looking at them

You will still have to surround them with hydroton, but they really look like they work well for seedlings and clones.

I prefer 100% perlite but like I said, pump failure for just one cycle would be devastating, I also have to screen all my returns to filter any loose perlite that may enter the watering system (ebb and flow). As far as plant stability it can be an issue for seedlings so I use a stainless steel support wire to brace any unstable seedlings and I use different length S hooks made from coat hangers that hold the plant up on a grid of ropes above the plants, about 2ft. sq. grid. It stops the plants from toppling over when they put on the weight.

@WickedAle is the process kinda the same as germinating in Rockwool? Do you soak the rapid rooters over night?

@WickedAle @Shatter you guys know anything about root riot cubes. They kinda look like rapid rooters but more square

I honestly haven’t tried either but both look similar and much better than using rockwool. I have just had bad experiences with rockwool that I refuse to use it again.

1 Like

@WickedAle yea. I’m going to take your advice and not use rock wool. I’m kinda thinking about buying a small Aerogarden cause the one I have I modded it. Dumb drunk decision to turn it into a mini rdwc. That was simple though. Filled tank with water then dropped the seed in the pod (which kinda looks like the same material as a rapid rooter but different shape) left the light on and 3 days later it sprouted. Both seeds I’ve done in it germinated in 3 days

1 Like

Perfect. Sounds like an good idea to start!

Yea first plant I gave away that was about a week away from flower. Second one I ripped out cause my wife threatened to do it. Then she cried when I did it. Was kinda funny. She also tried to bring it back to life by putting the pod in a cup a water @WickedAle

Rockwool works just fine in hydro. The only time it will be wet is during the seedling stage. After the plant has roots down into the water you lower the water level to about 2 inches below the net pot. That’s what me and many other hydro growers here do. The key to not getting stem rot is keeping the water level below the net pots and not top feeding after the roots hit water.

@DoobieNoobie did you see what my plan was at the top post with pics? Please read my first post and tell me what you think.

Yeah I read it. I think it’s fine for starting seeds. Just squeeze about half the water out of the cubes before putting the seed in. You want it damp not dripping wet. I don’t mess with the pot until it goes into my system though. Heres a few pics of the stages. They stay under domes to keep humidity up until the roots hit water.

1 Like