Will flowering too long cause a plant to go to seed?

If you let a plant flower too long will it start to create its own seeds?

1 Like

Yes. It’s called rhodelisation.

I’ve been growing 2 different strains since last November. This last time, I went 10
weeks and a few days and I’ll be dammed if I’m not finding a few seeds on a couple of the main colas.

No pollen sacks or signs of hermaphroditism on either plant harvested. Hopefully I get a few viable seeds to keep them going?

1 Like

It’s possible you could have transferred pollen from outside to your grow area.

1 Like

Rhodelisation is not the right term. That makes a plant Hermie to pollenate itself. The actual term for a plant asexually producing seed without a pollen is apomixis

2 Likes

Whether it comes from a hermed female or a male plant, the calix must get pollenated (with pollen) to form a seed.

@dbrn32 @elheffe702 @garrigan62 May have different information.

1 Like

I do have a couple outside and have been checking regularly for any signs of hermies. All are female clones with exception of one. The Christmas tree, as I call her was started from seed, cloned and confirmed female as well. I’m on an acre and a half and am not aware of anyone else growing close but who knows.

3 Likes

Also keep in mind it doesn’t have to be cannabis pollen either. You could have mowed and brought grass pollen in or several other scenarios.

2 Likes

Apomixis doesn’t require pollen. It forgoes the sexual process and the plant clones itself thru seed.

3 Likes

It’s crazy, I have gone through the girls with a fine toothed comb and have not seen any pollen sacs. Wet trimmed one strain and finishing dry trim on other.

1 Like

Did not know that, thanks Ran. I just love this effing site!!! Definitely prefer indoor grows but we shall see what harvest looks like. Been one thing after the other. I do however just love how resilient these plants are. I have had branches break off to the point where there is just connective tissue on the outside, zip tied it back in place and like magic, she heals herself.

3 Likes

That’s always the wild card with plants. They will do what it takes to further the species. If that means fixing itself or breeding itself or bypassing the sexual process all together the plant will do whatever it takes.

2 Likes

They truly are remarkable plants!

1 Like
1 Like

I effing love that!!! I ended up with 10 Quarts of A-Train, and 9 of B-Train. B was trimmed wet and A dry. 2 plants each in 10 gallon fabric pots

4 Likes

Samething is happening to my girls…flowered too long, now a couple seeds are forming on the bud tips, no males. weird.

1 Like

Yes they will…
Last ditch effort to live on again…
:v:t4: :sunglasses:

1 Like