Will any led bulbs or grow lights help remove chlorine?

Quick question, I use tap water for my hydro system. Will Placing the bucket of water under a light help with the chlorine dissipate ?

Not that I know of. Chlorine will evaporate though, and if you bubble it with an air stone it happens pretty quickly.

4 Likes

I have a air stone in my reserve tank linked to my main tank. Both have air stones I can just mix it all up and toss in there hey. No need to wait it out.

I don’t know if that many ppl put a lot of worry into the chlorine count of the tap water. I mean you can test it’s ppm with a tds pen or rather the tap water in general. I mean if that’s what your worry is? I don’t worry about mine before mixing nutes but I’m not hydro!! If that helps at all!! We can ask other ppl if your new to hydro and that’s what your asking?

2 Likes

not an issue – pH is far more important - my local water — the city and my pH meter has 8.6 - insanely high to me — so every water drop i put some lime juice – to get about 6 — and let it go to room temp to avoid temp shock - that ,0000xyz flouride dissipates soon

2 Likes

YA 8.6 is wicked high, Why no pH down??

I’ve read that high chlorine will throw off PH if not evaporated before hand. I use PH perfect from advanced nutrients

2 Likes

I think they mean you can’t use pool water but levels in drinking water arent enough to f up a grow single handed!! Does that make sense or helpful?

1 Like

A LOT of growers using municipal tap water absolutely do worry about chlorine in their water, regardless of medium.

@Sutton, bubbling it or letting it sit for a few days is your best bet. Or go with distilled or reverse osmosis water. Aquarium dechlorinating drops work ok, too, but I don’t know how they’ll affect pH.

5 Likes

There’s your answer from a hydro guy like DB said, airstones but days not immediately…I’ve heard the osmosis thing before… doesn’t look like lights do the trick though like you originally asked. BAM

1 Like

Thanks for quick reply everyone. Many thanks

1 Like

lime or lemon juice is acidic — got that up down stuff - just never bothered with it

hmmm - now says 8.75 — i asked - older pipes so they raise it to reduce damage https://www.siouxfalls.org/public-works/water-division/water-quality

1 Like

The sun will get rid of the chlorine in your tap water.

2 Likes

You mentioned ph change as chlorine evaporates. This may be the answer to my issue. I Ph’d a gallon of water for a small pot. 6.5 dead on. After I watered I had a lot of water left.

I let it sit out till the next watering and the ph was WAY off.

Just my observation.
L8r t8r

2 Likes

Oh pH will definitely change when left to sit out in a bucket!!

2 Likes

pH drift is one of the issues with using things like lemon juice. Not very stable and only makes sense, to me anyway, if you are in a pinch and needed something before you can get a new bottle of pH down.
Otherwise you might find yourself chasing the pH which is a problem in itself.

2 Likes

A couple of things: a municipal water report is a good idea as chlorine dissipates. Chloramines do NOT. You may have to provide chemical intervention to remove it. And I would absolutely worry about excess chlorine.

PH down is buffered to maintain stability and unlike lemon juice, lime juice or citric acid; it’s a micronutrient (phosphoric acid).

2 Likes

I tried this but kept running into iron deficiencies after every watering. Maybe it depends on which brand you get but when I read the fine print it said that it also removes heavy metals. I just went to bubbling instead.

1 Like

I prefer not adding anything, myself. Luckily, my well water doesn’t have chlorine.

Bubbling or sitting for at least a day is my top recommendation, but some people want instant gratification. :grinning:

2 Likes

I will also add for anyone that didn’t all ready know , water temperature will also change your ph , the more stable that you can keep your water temps will also help keep your ph more stable… :wink:
If you check your ph when your water is cold and let it warm up to room temperature , it will change your ph… if it gets really hot , it will change significantly… :wink:
:v::sunglasses:

5 Likes