Will a green light cause problems

So just wondering because I’m still currently waiting for my popped seeds to break soil
But like it’s been said no dumb question

So bought a humidifier for my new grow room
Was curious So shut out lights and it gives off a green glow from an on-off indicator light
Pretty sure I can disable the light
But wondering if Green light would matter during flowering ? I’m a noob so won’t risk and either cover with tape or disable light just wondering

2 Likes

Light of any kind affects the plants. I’m unpersuaded that the small light on something like a power strip or humidifier will be enough to disrupt a flower cycle, because even in nature there isn’t total darkness. But it’s a myth that green light doesn’t affect flowering plants.

4 Likes

Disable or tape it up… No light in flower during dark period. I had a led come untaped… Hermies.

2 Likes

Autoflowers no photos probably yes it’d be safe to tape up whatevers emitting that light

2 Likes

I just recently noticed an led on on of my fans probably had 4 grows no problem but I taped it anyway why take the chance

It depends on if ur doing photoperiod plants or autos now if ur doing photoperiod plants then yes that bit of light can upset the flowering of a photoperiod plant but if it is a auto flower no it wont have any problem

Put electrical tape over it

I popped on line to check the same question. I woke up to the power going off this morning. I completely lucked out because it happened 5 minutes after lights out. I keep 4 battery powered lanterns in my room for this possibility, but would ratherI not see how well it works. I went in with a green flashlight to insure everything was cool. I could see a green dot light from my dehumidifier which had a curled piece of tape, shining up throughout one of my GMO / S.D. Crosses. The plant was up and praying where the light was projected, so I’m calling B.S. on the green light not affecting photo period… not saying I have the answer, but in 4 years of indoor / out door grows, I’ve never seen praying plants under true dark. It looks like I’m gonna have to be on banana patrol hard for the rest of my run. All I can do is pass on what I saw happen, and hope my genetics are strong enough to remain stable. I’m gonna use some black nail polish to get rid of all green dot lights. It’s crazy, because even my growers choice ROI 720’s have them…

2 Likes

Dr. Bugsbee addresses how much light your plants can tolerate before they affect flowering…more than you think. He also does not believe green is any safer than other colors.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this @Riskguy. I am always interested in the science. This is a fascinating video. :man_mage:

2 Likes

You have likely seen this but it is very informative and well presented by the same person.

Cannabis Grow Lighting Myths and FAQs with Dr. Bruce Bugbee - YouTube

2 Likes

@merlin44 Yes…another good one. I do a few things in my grows that are bro science…but I like to base my decisions on “why would that be a good thing…what is the mechanism” I learn alot from Dr Bugbee’s videos that helps me decide on what things I might try in my grows.

2 Likes

I have based my entire system around the concepts that he presents. There are a couple of minor things that I do that are not supported by any science that I know of, but they cost nothing so no big deal.

My plants get a ppfd of 800 - 1100 with no problems and excellent results.

Edit: As soon as I realized how important light intensity is I purchased a quantum sensor PAR meter to ensure that I knew what my plants were getting. That was only a few months after I started growing 5 years ago.

2 Likes