Why such big phenom differences in same seed bag

I grow a strain that I’ve had for over a decade. I do seed runs, breeding it. back to itself. I can still see the exact same thing you’re talking about. Seeds from the exact same plant can throw quite different plants.

I share your puzzlement, though. Most other plants can be stabilized, so why not marijuana? I don’t have an answer.

2 Likes

Yessir, if that’s your thing.

“I share your puzzlement, though. Most other plants can be stabilized, so why not marijuana? I don’t have an answer.”

That may be a result of the underground/illicit nature of the business. If you’re breeding petunias then you can grow acres of the things and go through thousands of plants looking for stable genes. I’m betting marijuana breeding is more of a cottage industry

1 Like

I don’t think they’re as stable as you think. I plant a garden, have some plants produce different sized veggies, get peppers that are hotter than others, and tomatoes that are sweeter and larger than others all the time.

5 Likes

Y but take a trip down to Home Despot in the spring, thousands and thousands of bedding plants (and edibles too) all the same.

It can be taken too far though, one lucky disease could wipe out bananas because they are all genetically the same. I don’t want to live in a world without weed - let’s hear it for genetic diversity!

1 Like

You might be right. As legalization spreads we may see very large breeders do interesting things. We may also see plant patents and other atrocities.

2 Likes

Plant patents are already happening for Marijuana

2 Likes

Ha, out of likes here but I see what you’re saying. Of course, we see hundreds of the same plant and don’t pay much attention to little differences in them either. But you’ve also looked past a few before selecting the pot or tray that you’re actually going to pay for right?

1 Like

Usually I buy the tray of plants that haven’t been left to dry out and die by the disinterested workers at HD - of course, they earn minimum wage so why should they care? But that’s a rant for another forum :wink:

Plant patents suck (and you should be less promiscuous with your likes :wink: )

1 Like

Ha, I’m plenty promiscuous! Doing big things here lol.

2 Likes

There, have one of mine :wink:

1 Like

Even Every clone grows differently… unless you take the very tops… that’s as close to the mother plant as you will get… I’ve been at this for awhile… :wink:
I’ve been cloning a strain since I started … :wink:
Very crazy plant… it’s a clone only plant… hardcore female… can’t make it stress to seed no matter what I do… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

That’s a good point! I do feel the traits from clone to clone are way more similar than from seed to seed though, regardless of where it’s taken from. Cloning from top definitely seems to be most hearty in my experience as well though.

2 Likes

@peachfuzz Worth knowing, thanks!

1 Like

Im back.Guess i met my allowable new member free speech limit, so does patent pending pot mean that for every strain developed will now be an infringment to clone? We gotta evolve as a community and i suppose there will be sticking points along the path traveled. Hopefully now that growers can come out of the basements, closets, cabinets, stabilty in strains and phenos will have a chance to become more stabilized and gain thier true geneology. I am always amazed at the choices and new strains being developed both for medical and recreation grows everytime i browse the seed shops, but did you ever try to find an orignal un-spliced weed strain, you know its like finding a unmolested 1969 camaro
Man, Donaldj to have the room to store all my favorite things, your living my dream…!

2 Likes

Paying a royalty for each clone?

Monsanto are doing some evil shit, others will follow if they think can get away with it

Like a licensing fee or a auto flower gene so it can’t be cloned, then try and find seeds that aren’t scientifically altered. With a litigious society there will always be someone looking to monopolize on what should be a open to all commodity…

Anyone know of a seed bank that sells “old school” seed strains , you know before the purplebananakushy47widowboomboom strains came out. I have friends that keep thier mothers and clobe them nd they have been at it a long while as many here have, but I am looking at something more “retro” than the swamp skunk they are into. I don’t have anything agsinst all the new strains and it keeps things fresh in the community , just would like to step back and grow out some originals.

2 Likes

Maybe ilgm can look in the archives and find something to fill the gap. Just thinking outloud.

2 Likes

Search for “landrace” strains and then take those claims with some skepticism. You can find them.

I agree totally with having open pollinated stains on hand, even while growing the exotic hybrids available.