Why is my girl growing pistils at ten weeks?

Legends,

just wondering if anyone knows why one of my 10 week old feminized GSC plants has produced pistils? I have another two under the exact same conditions that haven’t. I have fimmed and started training my girls, all plants are getting 6 hours plus of direct sunlight and at least 6 - 8 of indirect. Plants were re potted into a hot mix soil that they seem to be loving. Looks like its a bit more then pre flowering. I have included a closeup of the plant in question and one of the others for reference. Your advice will be appreciated.

1 Like

Hey bud, guessing you live in the southern hemisphere if your growing outside at this time of year. Im in Aus, grown here about 4 years now, not in a row, have wondered this before as they always start to pre flower early in the veg period, even though they grow for 8-9 months if started at the right time. Answer is, anything under 15-16 hours will make your plants show signs of pre flowering. Even if they throw out pistils throughout the whole veg period it doesn’t matter at all, they won’t start to properly flower until feb-march when the light cycle is closer to 12-12. Right now were about 14-10, so thats still 14 hours of sunlight a day.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice mate. I am in oz as well so makes sense. I was a bit worried as my others hadn’t produced any and also as there are quite a few.

Thanks again.

1 Like

No worries mate, always good to see another aussie on here. Keen to see how they turn out for you, happy growing :+1:

1 Like

No worries. I will post a few updates along the grow. This is my first grow in a while so feeling it all out a bit as I go. To date I’m pretty happy and think I’m doing most things right.

Rock on mate… yew!

2 Likes

Bloody oath boys!

2 Likes

Some Kiwi :kiwi_fruit: support as well!

Good luck with your grow mate! @maxlarge

Sweet as! :blush::v:t2:

2 Likes

If you start a journal ill definitely tag along and see how it all goes bro, and if anythings ever looking pear shaped just put the word out on here there’ll always be someone around with a solution!

1 Like

Thanks @kalico, it’s good to know I have your support… sweet as… yew!

1 Like

Awesome @BondPacker, I will do. Its great to know there’s such a great community of experienced growers out there able to help out. Thanks again.

1 Like

Each seed is it’s own critter. She just reached sexual maturity sooner. Think of the 16yo girl that looks 25.

Early signs of sex means you could clone her if you wanted to get more plants. I’m not sure if that would give you enough time though. May be better off just going with what you have since you’re getting closer to 12/12.

1 Like

If I have it right this plant from seed has always been a bit of a rogue. I think I will just leave her be and grow her out. She’s still powering on but seems to be developing a bit slower then the others with all of pre flowering… I hope she bounces back.

1 Like

Well I don’t know what’s going on with this one but the pistils are still going nuts. Vegetative conditions are still great with excellent light for approx 14 hours per day. I’m waiting patiently but scratching my head… hmmm :neutral_face:

You’ve got to remember that even though the plant is getting plenty of sunlight, more than enough to keep it in veg, it can also sense that the days are getting shorter. This is obviously how plants flower in the first place as their internal clock as to say, can sense when the sunlight hours are getting shorter. Your plant is sensing that and throwing out pistils, or pre flowering, in response to the shortened days. As i said earlier but mate she won’t kick into full flower for while yet, plenty of pistils is nothing to worry about, as long as she’s looking healthy :+1:
Ill also add in that different strains react differently outside, some flower earlier than others. Ive had AK-47 plants begin to flower almost two months before the rest of my plants.

3 Likes

Thanks @BondPacker, I recently got back from holiday and two of my three seem to be in a crazy full preflower state, will post photos when I get a chance. Your advice helps ease my mind. I was kinda worried it would stunt the veg growth as the third still in full veg is overtaking them in size which makes sense. All in all taking a step back and just feeling good I have a few beautiful, healthy female GSC’s growing… :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries at all mate glad to help, one of my GSC’s has been flowering in the lower inner branches for a while now, but the top is still vegging, work that one out haha. Plants can do some weird things outdoors, its up to the elements to help them decide what they want to do, all we can do is keep them as healthy as possible and observe :v:

3 Likes

@BondPacker, funny you say that , one of mine have been doing the exactly the same,lower branches been in pre flower for awhile ,and top in veg. Happy to say the top has now gone to flower

1 Like

Im glad mines not the only one then @Coltfire :smile: difference is mines properly budding on the inner branches, well past pre flower, and the top is very far behind. I was thinking earlier about culling the inner buds to allow more growth to the rest of the plant thats vegging, but they looked too good to get rid of!

@Coltfire Inner branches with early bud growth vs top branches only pre flowering. Only happening with one plant

3 Likes

@BondPacker,that’s different ,not like mine but in a few more weeks the plant ,may look like that bottom to top, lol

1 Like