Why do we not simulate the moon?

Hi guys,

after realizing I left my UV-B bulp on during my babys supposed sleep time the question just popped into my head (I already know the left on light wont cause any major issues if any at all) but… when we grow indoors we try to simulate nature in its most efficient way. How then is it that we only consider the sun as relevant for the plants growth but not the light the Moon and Stars make? In nature it is never really a 100% dark is it… so I wonder.

Do you know?

Please let me know if you do, I will check what google has to say on it in the mean time.

If there is no answer: maybe we should consider simulating the moon and the stars? How could we do it? Would it even work? Which lightcolour is the light of the moon?

edit: so i figured I was silly, the moon doesnt shine on its own, it only reflects the light of the sun and depending on its position to earth it is closer or further away and reflects more or less light… but… hm

2 Likes

I think you answered yourself there. But yeah from what I understand the minimal light the moon reflects is mostly in the green spectrum which plants can’t “see” plus my electric bill is high enough without lighting a fake moon :joy::rofl: :v:

15 Likes

Moonlight has the full sun spectrum but is only putting out about 0.1 lux on a full moon. Not anything that’s discernible to the plant.

5 Likes

We’ve seen the results of simulating moon and starlight with photoperiod cannabis; plants tend to express hermaphroditism.

5 Likes

I should clarify. Hermaphroditism is often the result of light leaks indoors; it rarely occurs outdoors. One theory is that the difference in intensity between the photoperiod and the scotoperiod matters. Compared to the awesome power of our Sun, a street lamp at 200’ is weak. Compared to my anemic 100w LED, the pinholes of light through my tent are closer in intensity. I haven’t seen scientific analysis on this disparity hypothesis yet, so don’t echo it as gospel truth.

3 Likes

Correct. Compare that to sunlight, which is around 100,000-125,000 lux. As far as the plant is concerned, it still thinks it’s dark out. This is why photoperiod plants in the wild aren’t affected by it.

3 Likes

@TommyBahama @Bobbydigital :grinning::v:

4 Likes

Looks like everything is covered here.
Lol.

3 Likes

And knowing is half the battle…yo Joe

1 Like

i heard something about starting seeds during full moons makes for bigger plants :man_shrugging:t5:. I started an auto flower during the last one. We shall see

We barely simulate the sun properly. :grinning:

When growing indoors, we need to keep tight control over variables. We create an artificial environment that doesn’t exactly mimic nature. Not even a little. Until we’re able to precisely mimic nature throughout all steps of the indoor grow, it’s probably best for us to not try to add moonglow to photoperiod plants. Protect yourself against hermies.

3 Likes