Why are my photoperiod clones in flower under 18/6?

All 5 clones (4 GG and 1 GSC) have been on an 18/6 light schedule (24/0 for the first 3 weeks). I harvested these clones when the mother plants were in weeks 3-5 of veg.

Last week I noticed what looked like pistils. I’m a new grower so I figured it must be normal or my eyes were playing tricks on me. Now it’s pretty obvious they are in full flower, stretch and all. How is this possible? The mother plants grew normally and didn’t flower until flipped to 12/12.

1 Like

Do you have a pic of your seed bag it arrived in? @KellyG

1 Like

Clones :point_up:

Nothing wrong with the mother plants. They both grew normally and didn’t flower early.

3 Likes

My clones never flower until the flip…this is a new one for me.

1 Like

Can we phone a friend(s)???

Very helpful GrowPros
@beardless @Graysin @Spiney_norman @kaptain3d @Docnraq @MidwestGuy

1 Like

What makes it even stranger is all of them are flowering. If one or the other, maybe an odd gene popped through. But all of them makes me think a lighting mishap.

4 Likes

I agree with @beardless:nerd_face:
If your lights are on a timer, I’d check it… :thinking:

1 Like

That was my thought process. One I could understand. But all of them??? I’ve triple checked my timer and it is (and has been to the best of my knowledge) set correctly and working just fine. But even if there was a day or two when it malfunctioned, that shouldn’t have been enough to flip them and KEEP them in flower. Right? :woman_shrugging:t3:

Wow this one is outside of my wheelhouse, interested in the answer to this riddle.

1 Like

Mother developed a recessive gene?
Symbiotic age transference?
IDK, sorry.

Not sure if it matters, but just so I don’t leave any stone unturned in trying to solve this mystery…these clones were taken about 4 months ago. The reason they are still (relatively) so small is because I had them under a cheap low-watt purple light. It was just enough to keep them alive but did not allow them to grow at all. So they were pretty much in stasis until 3 weeks ago when I moved them to my tent. Again, I doubt this info will help solve the mystery. But figured it was worth mentioning.

That was my thought process.

This could be the answer especially with ALL of them in flower. The low intensity light and a clone that in essence was sexually mature, might have put them into flower. I took a few clones of GFOG from a mother but did not have a separate tent/light to veg them. After only 2 days of being in the tent with the mother at 12/12, the 3 clones starting throwing pistils even though the mother was not.

3 Likes

Ask enough questions, give enough info to solve the mystery!!!

Is 12/12 a magic number or is it the decrease in hours of light? They were accustomed to 24 hrs light and light was reduced to 18/6. Just guessing/ wondering.

Is the strain possibly an equatorial type that doesn’t quite react to the lighting constraints of strains at different latitudes? I’ve read about these some.

@Fieldofdreams

Excellent theory, but they are clones from 2 different strains.

The mystery continues… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

@Bobcaat

Excellent theory, but I have mistakenly tested this hypothesis with these clones’ mother plants. During seedling & veg stage my timer was not working so they were on a 24/0 schedule for about 6 weeks. Once I realized, I set the timer to 18/6 for the remainder of their veg cycle. They didn’t flip to flower until I adjusted the schedule to 12/12.

The mystery continues… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

@Bonjoyle

But how? I’ve never heard of this happening. :thinking: