Why are my little girls yellowy green?

I’m feeling pretty bummed as my seedlings are staying a light yellowy green. I transplanted them into a seedling mix with 1/3 perlite and vermiculite. At first I though I was over watering then cut back but they have stayed a constant light color. They are outdoors and temperatures and hours of light are pretty good. It might be my inpatients but they also seem to have a stunted growth. PLEASE HELP. I would have thought the seeding mix would have had everything they needed.

vermiculite and perilite? there is no mentio of soil type here? and how old are they? week 2 weeks since sprouting? plants always take some time to establish root structure before top growth starts to flourish but still need more info to truly offer advise.
COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you smile

@Donaldj thanks for your response. I have tried to answer as best as possible below…

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Girl Scout Cookies seeds

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

Soil in pots was a good quality seedling mix. I mixed in a 1/3 quantity of half course vermiculite and half fine perlite as I thought this would be good for drainage and aeration around roots.

System type?

I am growing these outdoors and bringing inside every night to avoid cold night temperatures.

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

I tested the PH of soil mix and it seems to around the 6 - 7 range. Scheme water where I live is in the 7 - 8 range.

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

I had avoided nutrients as I thought they would not need though given light color I have watered with a weak seaweed extract solution.

Indoor or Outdoor

Outdoors.

Light system, size?

N/A

Temps; Day, Night

Day temps up to 24 - 35c (75 - 95f)

Humidity; Day, Night

humidity to 0 - 40%

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

No… Natural

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

N/A

Co2; Yes, No

N/A??? Natural conditions.

Sorry if I seem a bit amateur with all of this. In the past I have just grown outdoors in natural conditions with mostly positive outcomes.

Thanks for your help.

So are you using water without adjusting it’s pH ?

If that’s correct then you have a nutrient lock-out, you’ve got to adjust pH to around 6.3 - 6.5 to allow the plant to up take available nutrients

2 Likes

I would also like to point out it’s damn hot for your ladies and sprouts need humidity heat isn’t so terrible if there is still decent humidity but sprouts tend to flourish in high humidity and the lack of ph control certainly would be an issue though your soil will adjust for first couple weeks if it is a quality starter soil. I want you to try this take a 2L pop bottle cut the top off it poke several holes in bottle and place upside down over your plant mist first also diffuse the light some sunlight is damn hot for a young plant in the wild they start in the spring cooler moist weather :wink: a piece of white paper suspended over plant would diffuse light nicely I use this trick with seedlings under 1000w MH indoors

2 Likes

Thanks for your input @Paranorman. It may seem amateur but in the past I have always been able to grow what I thought was decent outdoor plants with scheme water and without really keeping an eye on the pH levels. This is a learning curve for me. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Thanks @Donaldj, I really appreciate your advice. I will try this and update condition etc. I think I just thought outdoors/natural conditions should be fine but now I am opening my eyes to the fact I have to alter conditions better to suit.

PH in tap water can change. Best to check every time. It’s also a good idea to leave the water sit open for 24 hours for the chlorine to dissapate before using.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Hey crew,

a bit of an update. My babies are definitely looking a bit healthier. They have greened up a bit and look to be happy. I adjusted the tap waters pH down from 7.5 to around 6.5 and placed the plastic bottles over to increase humidity.

I also gave them a light dose of nitrogen fertilizer which they seemed to love… I am wondering whether to give them more given the lite dose and the fact the greened up form it and seemed to really like… I just don’t want to overdo things.

I also gave a sprayed the foliage and gave them a small drink of a lite Epsom salts mix. I have a fellow grower who swears that it is a great general tonic… still on the fence a bit with this but thought a light dose wont hurt.

I still think my babies could be a lot darker in color and am wondering whether to dose again with nitrogen or give them a lite dose with a general fertilizer. I purchased a good quality organic seaweed plus trace elements mix that I was thinking of using… thinking I may be getting a bit too excited and overdo things.

Still think the leaf size is still small but don’t know if this is just the age or a kush thing??? When I grew years ago I could have sworn at this stage the leaves were bigger.

Let me know if you can offer any additional advice or have any suggestions. Thanks for your previous advice again, it has helped me get back on track a bit.

Happy growing.

I believe your problem is to much water and to much sun light… To much water will lead to bad pH and root rot and to much sun will lead to , to much heat and no moisture… Problems ahead…
@Donaldj has given great advice … outdoor plants only need 6 hours of straight sunlight and you would want that to be from first thing in the morning till about 1 or 2 in the afternoon and then shaded Sun thereafter …

:v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @peachfuzz, I have cut back on the water to once every two to three days which I could probably push out a bit more. The soil is very light with a one third mix of perlite/vermiculite added so I’m thinking the mix of moisture and air space is there.

I have also moved out of direct sunlight for the majority of the day. I have under shade sails which filters the light a lot or have in a spot that only gets the maybe eight hours of direct light… thinking I should move to a more shaded position.

Thanks for your input.

Well you want your sun to come first thing in the morning… till about mid-afternoon…
reason being is so that , that way it burns off the moisture or the dew or whatever you want to call it that comes after first morning Sun and that’s what you want to do… that way in the future you don’t have to worry about budd rott or anything else…you always want your plants situated in the way that they get morning sun from the beginning of daylight into about 1 to 3 o’clock p.m. in the afternoon… after that shaded light is just as good as long as you’re running the light schedule that you need to accomplish what you’re trying to accomplish ie 12-12… 18-6…24-0

:v::sunglasses:

1 Like