Why am I having so much trouble w/germination?

I just use distilled water that has set out to room temperature.
By chance did you order from a place in Nevada or northern California?
I think you get taken on your seeds i had it happen to me to. Check out this site it’s called
seedfinder and they have a rating system on seedbanks this is how I found ilgm and they 400 positive on their but check out who you got yours from if it’s all red you got robbed.Hope this helps you and good luck

@inout I feel your frustration and you’ve gotten a bunch of good advise here; so here is how I germinated.
RO water only 6.5pH (no peroxide), seeds in water in a dark closet at 78 degrees for 18 hours, 4 of six were cracked after the 18hrs, then in moist paper towel sandwiched between two plates in same dark warm closet for 24hrs. That’s it. 5 had taproot starting and 6th was cracked and peaking out maybe. Put all seeds in rockwool cubes under a small t5 inside a germ dome on a heat mat. Kept around 76-80 degrees w about 80% humidity. All six popped and grew. My 2 White Widow were very slow to germinate and grow compared to their sisters. Mine are photo feminized. Other than all the other advice you’ve gotten I’d agree w @ThcinKC that maybe it’s a problem with the source of your beans. A reputable seed bank will make it right if their beans don’t germinate at a reasonable % IMO. Good Luck.

:v:

2 Likes

Another expensive lesson is to use the hydrogen peroxide water on the jiffy pucks i lost 200 dollars of seeds because of them having something that made them get a green mold on them now using hydrogen peroxide water no more problems

1 Like

I ordered the same. It came US mail, fast, and I’m in a town of about 6,000.

People tend to make germination more complex than it needs to be. Basically, there is only tbree things you need; complete darkness, moisture, and heat. I soak my seeds for 24 hours in a shot glass of water with 10 drops of 3% peroxide mixed in. Adding a little peroxide will add oxygen to the water. After 24 hours, seeds are placed between two wet paper napkins sitting on a plate that is sitting on top of a heat source (75°-80°F) in top of my dark closet for an additional 24 hours. Seeds should have a quarter inch tail if the process is done correctly with adequate heat and moisture. So simple a monkey could do it. Lol

2 Likes

Not that I’m any kind of an authority since I’m only on my 2nd grow, I do have a lot of experience with growing figs. When I was dealing with cuttings, the most important issue was HUMIDITY. cuttings and seedlings both love humidity. I germinate my seeds using rock wool cubes and have to say that they work! I soak the cubes in tap water, drain them so theyre damp, not dripping wet. Place them in cut down solo cups with holes in the bottom. then place those into a dome covered dish to create the humidity and rest it on my radiator for warmth. adjust the cover to let air in and in 2-3 days I have a sprout. I leave them under the dome for about a week and then transfer into permanent pots I’ve also had success using foxfarm happy frog soil instead of the rockwool cubes… Humidity is the main issue. best of luck with your grow!

2 Likes

Ya some of mine are getting green mold on them some don’t… it’s new I’ve never had this issue ever. Green mold… so what’s the fix

1 Like

Dry them out. Are you sure it isn’t algae or something other than mold?

I talked with the plant guy at the garden store and said that happen alot with those jiffy pucks they were pressed wet and dried out and can pick up spores and what not. He had something you could buy the kill everything in them when you soak them or just soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide and ph water and do the same thing and save your self 20 bucks i have been doing it ever since he told me that. Hope it will work for you to

Hey i just checking out where you ordered you seeds from both have the worst reviews out there and every who did order got ripped of and some of the stuff is hemp not weed that they packed and sold to people both places have a huge x with a do not buy from on seedfinder.eu.
You got taken to the cleaners i bet half you stuff is what it is labeled as

Msnl… the fem seeds are great, the others , the reg seeds don’t even germinate barely…

Hmm. I actually find reg seeds to be better growers and haven’t had any problems germinating them.

1 Like

No one can predict how well a seed will hatch, grow and produce.

It is possible to have a high degree of success, with good genetics.

I like fem’d seeds cause it’s very frustrating to grow plants for two + months and find out 30 to 70% are males.

ILGM has been very prompt about replacing lost shipments and no spourting seeds. I don’t know of any other seed seller that will do the same.

2 Likes

@tanlover442, I ran into this as well, once I asked the question about Regular seeds.

How many should I germinate, to try to get 1 or 2 females.

I was told to germinate 6, so out of 6 plants, you might get 1 or 2 females.

When I purchased my reg seeds. It came in quality of 12, maybe this is for two harvest?

@kw_Bat…with regular seeds…suggest you plant twice as many as you plan to harvest. some won’t hatch. some will hatch and die…no reason. some will never be healthy and productive.
Remember, a good productive harvest IS THE GOAL!!!
start all at same time. dump the weak puny…they never get better.
Concentrate on the biggest healthiest plants…there will be males, but, they show a couple of weeks before the female are in danger. Dump the males. Unless you want a bucket of seeds.

Seriously, I gave up on bag seed or regular seeds. Too much trouble to spend two months growing, loving and raising on males. The Fem’d seeds are a much more productive method.

:cowboy_hat_face::vulcan_salute::v:

2 Likes